dressage warm up at BE

wildcard

Visit site
I'm just curious if anybody ever listens to music while they warm up for the dressage. For BE and if this is allowed ? I am only talking about the warm up area and of course nnot for the actual test. I ride using a lot of music at home and thought might be uuseful to keep the stressage mode away. Any thoughts opinions?

Old Bat

Visit site
I would personally take the same view that I do when seeing joggers on the road with earphones...how on earth can you be fully aware of everyone else around you and potential hazards? I would think it would be hazardous to both yourself and other competitors but then I've never done it so I stand to be corrected...!

Last edited:

wildcard

Visit site
Very true and totally agree about been aware of people around I've only ever done it at home in the arena never out hacking so not had to worry so much about other people and hazards. I would just like to skip the dressage and go straight onto the jumping :)

Cragrat

Visit site
BE dressage warm-ups can get quite crowded, because of multiple rings and limited space - obviously depends on the venue - so I would agree you need to be aware of other horses coming up behind you etc, or the steward shouting your number.

AnShanDan

Visit site
Well, I think you would be fine, as long as you don't close your eyes as well! Obv. you need to keep your wits about you, but normally, if you keep an eye on the other competitors in the warm up and make sure you know how your arena is going by watching it and checking in with your steward, you should be OK. What would a deaf person do??

Last edited:

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
If I were you I wouldn't wear them - it's difficult enough to avoid a crash in a BE dressage warm up when you can fully hear what's going on around you! It's not just that you might be a bit in your own little world, but also that there may be others who are a bit out of control/incompetent/don't know arena etiquette.

dianchi

Visit site
I do this at BD warm ups much easier to concentrate, but then i ride like that at home in the school, so i know how to ride and be aware without use of sound.

wildcard

Visit site
I never actually thought what a deaf person might do very good point but I would imagine their senses may be heightened in comparison to mine I think we'll keep the music for home I would suggest that I sing to myself but with my voice I would deem that bad arena etiquette and wouldn't want to put others of lol ,

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I never actually thought what a deaf person might do very good point but I would imagine their senses may be heightened in comparison to mine I think we'll keep the music for home I would suggest that I sing to myself but with my voice I would deem that bad arena etiquette and wouldn't want to put others of lol ,

I disagree. I sing in the warm up all of the time. No more distracting to others than talking. I mean, I don't imitate Pavarotti or anything, but I do sing (badly).

Mrs G

Visit site
I disagree. I sing in the warm up all of the time. No more distracting to others than talking. I mean, I don't imitate Pavarotti or anything, but I do sing (badly).

Aha, trying to nobble other competitors by making their ears bleed...

glamourpuss

Visit site
I sometimes listen to music warming up, just one earphone, not too loud that I can't hear a steward calling me.
Music doesn't have to drown everything out!

smja

Visit site
If I were you I wouldn't wear them - it's difficult enough to avoid a crash in a BE dressage warm up when you can fully hear what's going on around you! It's not just that you might be a bit in your own little world, but also that there may be others who are a bit out of control/incompetent/don't know arena etiquette.

Very true - there were a fair number of near misses at Bradwall last weekend!