Dressage with cobs?

cob&onion

Visit site
Does anyone compete their cob above novice level? i don't mean welsh cobs - we all know they're fab at dressage :D

Am talking proper colored/traditional/hogged etc cobs :)

Would love to see your cob doing some dressage, please share experiences and pics

Visit site
Our traditional heavyweight cob tries his hardest at Elementary these days and although his short, fat, trimmed legs do not extend very far, he still manages to do well and is even thinking of taking up appearing at medium competitions next year! He is a Marmite horse, not to all tastes but we love him. He is accurate, well schooled and has a great partnership with his rider. :)

JLav

Visit site
Mine is doing his second Advanced Saturday and will move on to PSG as soon as the Tempis are more secure.

cob&onion

Visit site
Nice to hear cobs are holding their own amongst the big flashy warmbloods!

Have you got any pics of said cobs? :)
I really want to get to at least novice with my cob. We have some lessons starting next week with a dressage trainer. We are still at the very beginning but getting good comments from judges and not too bad scores :) she is 5 but more like 4 after a long gap off work.

JLav

Visit site
There's pics of mine in my Albums on my profile page and he has his own Facebook page, Boston Deluxe.

Mince Pie

Visit site
OP have a look on here for a poster called HunTheBun with her absolutely Fabulous (with a deliberate capital F!) coloured boy Smartie :)

Tempi

Visit site
I have a cob mare, bred two foals from her (one now 5 and the other 2). She's competed at the Nationals, won Petplans, qualified for regionals at medium etc. she was schooling at advanced medium before damaging her check ligament when competing at the Winter Champs in April. If you have a look on my Facebook page (and website - dont think I can put link to that but if you look on Facebook page its on there) there are lots of pictures of her (and her babies!).

_GG_

Visit site
My best mate and YM has just bought a stunning cob. Proper show cob type. When we went to view the lady said HW, but of course as we drove off I said to friend, no...medium weight, he's just a bit fat at the moment. She doesn't care about placings, but he is stunning so she's looking forward to doing some showing classes with him and ridden hunter classes and such like.

Great thing is, she's a great novice rider, but her confidence has stopped her riding anything better schooled than her old ex RDA cob. She'll rider her daughters pony but she is hard work to get working properly so now, she will have something that, when ridden right, goes right. he has the "pretty" head carriage if you just use your reins, but if you get after him a little and ask him to pluck up, he works beautifully and she is already looking forward to learning loads and I reckon, after a few showing outings, she'll be taking up some unaffiliated dressage.

I must say I am rather jealous....I everything I asked of him when I rode him he took really well. He's learned to lean and evade that way, and fall in at the shoulder, but you only have to ask and he works properly without argument.

I miss cobs...wish I could have one of my own again. Some stunning cobs out there...and in these pages :)

JLav

Visit site
JLav, yours is Boston, fantastic...he's wonderful and such a great example of what can be achieved :)

Thank you. It is a huge privilege to train and ride this amazing horse....he has a heart as big as his bum!!!! At the same time you could put your Granny on him and send her off round the M25 knowing she'd be safe.

You can't beat a good cob....tough, sound (usually) and with a tremendous work ethic providing you don't let them get the upper hand! Most are capable of doing well in dressage providing you can teach them how to use themselves in a more supple way than is sometimes natural for them.

Dexydoodle

Visit site
Theres a book I want to read that loads of my friends have said is great called Cobs Can by Omar Rabia - pretty impressive looking cob doing some swanky stuff

JLav

Visit site
JLav your cob is stunning. Do you know his breeding as he looks quite big.

He's Clydie x something and probably about 3/4 Clydie according to peeps in the know. He is 16hh though he rides bigger.

I've just bought myself a Clydie x foal as I'm so impressed with them.

FlaxenPony05

Visit site
Saw Boston in H&R and immediately fell in love with him! What a stunning boy, you are very lucky JLav.
We need more pictures people :p

JLav

Visit site
Saw Boston in H&R and immediately fell in love with him! What a stunning boy, you are very lucky JLav.
We need more pictures people :p

Thankyou, he will be in H&R next month and the one after as well!! Doesn't like to do things by half you know, he's a real Diva and reckons he's a household name now!!

lara b

Visit site
Yep, traditional coloured lad 16h and about 10" of bone and he is competing at elementary and doing well, am very proud of him especially as this time last year we were still at preliminary. This is about his 4th job (he's18) as he is also a great happy hacker, pretty good at jumping (not with me!) And driven both competitively and at a wedding! Can't beat a good cob!