Dressage- would you ...

LBertie Wooster

Visit site
Would you ride a Dressage test in sitting trot in a GP ?? would the judges of competitors have a moane as my horse goes so much better and i know wwe could produce a better test
Thanks!

quirky

Visit site
I was writing at a comp the other day and a lady came in with her stirrups so long, that the judge assumed she was going to do the test in sitting. She muttered something about not liking to see a Prelim ridden in sitting.
As it happens, the lady did do rising but it was commented that her stirrups were ridiculously long.

Obviously, that was only one judge and her opinion and you haven't actually stated what level you will be competing at.

SavingGrace

Visit site
I think it is fine to do either sitting or rising up to Medium Level (I think it is that now I know the rules changed recently)

Its really down to the individual what the feel more comfortable doing and AFAIK judges should not be comments on sheets about the length of stirrup leathers, I will check that with my trainer this evening.

quirky

Visit site
AFAIK judges should not be comments on sheets about the length of stirrup leathers, I will check that with my trainer this evening.

The judge was a listed judge, not sure what checking about stirrup length with your instructor will achieve.
Having had my horse was unhinged written on my test by a listed judge, I'm under the impression they can write what they want.

The judge was correct and it certainly was a constructive criticism that the stirrups were too long, not a vindictive comment :).

lar

Visit site
There's no reason why you can't but i would say that at prelim level very VERY few horses are strong enough through their backs to work well with the rider sitting.

It may feel to you like the horse is going better but I'm fairly certain that what is actually happening is that the horse shuts down all impulsion to be able to cope with you sitting. I would really strongly advise you to rise - a judge at that level would much rather see a horse moving forward and swinging through its back even if it loses a little roundness than one shuffling along albeit with its nose in the right place

SavingGrace

Visit site
The judge was a listed judge, not sure what checking about stirrup length with your instructor will achieve.
Having had my horse was unhinged written on my test by a listed judge, I'm under the impression they can write what they want.

The judge was correct and it certainly was a constructive criticism that the stirrups were too long, not a vindictive comment :).

I wasn't having a go :confused:

gummybear

Visit site
For prelim, although you can do sitting or rising, it is generally advisable to go rising trot. Even at novice, would rather see rising than sitting.

251libby

Visit site
why dont you video yourself riding at trot in both sitting a rising and then you can get a clear picture of what you look like and decide from there. I got my mum to film myself riding last week ( I was expecting to be terrible) :O when I watched it I was pleasantly supprised and now I know I need to have more bend in my elbows and hold my hands higher as they were practicly resting on my horses neck!
If your horse doesn't look as loose in sitting as rising, then do rising remember dont just look at head carrige

dressagecrazy

Visit site
As long as you don't interfere with your horses way of going when doing sitting Trot then i would say it's fine. However what i find better is to mix sitting & rising.

Ive ridden Prelim & Novice tests in just sitting trot & had scores of over 70%.

TGM

Visit site
I've done quite a bit of writing at the lower levels, and have often seen judges wincing at competitors doing a stilted test in sitting trot! Sitting trot may feel better to the rider, but usually doesn't actually look better to the judge! There are exceptions, and if you can ride beautifully in sitting trot and keep the horse forward, then of course you won't be penalised for using it.

As said above, it is slightly different if you use sitting trot occasionally in the test for specific reasons, but doing the whole test in sitting is probably best avoided by the inexperienced competitor.