Dressing up dogs

Visit site
Apols if this has been done before, but after watching another programme where dogs are being
dressed up like humans, what are your thoughts ? I don't mean ordinary dog coats but fancy dress type things

_GG_

Visit site
Unnecessary but harmless if the dog doesn't mind.

Not something I'd do, but I won't judge others that do.

I only don't like it when the dogs don't like it!

xgemmax

Visit site
If the dog doesn't care then I don't see a problem. However if the dog gets stressed then it's unfair imo. My dog has coats and a christmas jumper but she doesn't care one bit lol quite happy to have them on!

FubsyMog

Visit site
If the dog is happy enough, then so be it. I daresay some doggy personalities somewhat relish the attention! I actually know of someone (OH knows them) with two cats - think they were Burmese - that apparently enjoyed playing dress-up with the kids. I would not have believed this until a met OH's aunt's Siamese, who is not like a cat at all and would certainly be perfectly happy to be fussed and primped - he is in his element when all attention is on him and he is being fondled, massaged and cooed over.

Spring Feather

Visit site
My automatic reaction to your question was going to be 'Noooo I can't stand to see dogs dressed up', but then I remembered that all of our puppies/dogs were regularly put in dolls clothes by our children when they were little :redface3:

I still don't care for seeing little dogs dressed up in silly frilly outfits but I cringe to tell you that a friend of mine has a dress up costume for her dog which is a padded saddle with a jockey on board ... and I think it's hilarious! :smile3:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I can't bear to see "Only Way is Essex" type dogs in stupid outfits every day, the idiot owners should just have dolls, but I don't mind seeing a dog in fancy dress or a jumper now and again. Our wimpy yellow lab always jumps in field troughs/puddles and they whimpers all evening when he is cold so we often pop him an old jumper on!

SadKen

Visit site
I put hats on my two sometimes. Wouldn't say they enjoy it but they don't seem to mind much and its only for five minutes, or until I've got a photo. We have two party hats for kids and on the dogs' birthdays we have a party with dog beer and they have their photo taken in the hats. It's utterly hilarious.

Oenoke

Visit site
I've dressed Bertie up for the Christmas fancy dress at the dog club Christmas party in the past, he doesn't mind.
Bert1.jpg

I did try Skye 1 year, but she walked out of the costume as quick as I put it on.
DSCN4379.jpg

I wouldn't even try to dress Teagan up, although she did enjoy a big bow on her head once.
DSCN58314.jpg

Star I didn't think would like it, but she has had a head band with spangly things on springs on top and seemed to enjoy it and I put my hat on her this year.
IMG_2738_edited-1.jpg

This isn't something I do all the time, it's once a year, if that.

PingPongPony

Visit site
I do it sometimes for a laugh, my dog doesn't seem to mind much tbh. She loves her waterproof coats and jumpers, when she hears me getting ready to go out the door, she jumps up on the sofa, looks out the window to check the weather, and if sunny, she just picks up her lead and collar and comes to the door, and if its raining, she picks up her coat, lead and collar and comes to the door :D
I don't mind other people dressing up their dogs if the dogs don't mind. I hate it when people try to force the animal to be dressed up though when clearly the dog isn't happy :(
Here's my dog playing dress up:
35687_101870233198187_100001256316739_9347_3164307_n.jpg

And in her winter coat, pretending to be a snowman:
snowmandog.jpg

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Apols if this has been done before, but after watching another programme where dogs are being
dressed up like humans, what are your thoughts ? I don't mean ordinary dog coats but fancy dress type things

I can sometimes think that it looks cute if it is done temporary, but fancy clothes may interfere with their body language, which thereby increases the risk for misunderstandings between dogs. I'm also not quite comfortable with the possible humanisation that is sometimes involved, so personally, in general I don't really like it.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The Bichon is crying out for a pink tutu. Luckily, both my other half and I are simply too tight to buy one for her!

wyrdsister

Visit site
Dressing dogs up as humans on a regular basis? No. Not a fan. Dressing dogs up for occasions? I can be persuaded. One of mine used to get into an epic sulk if she was left out of anything, properly hide in the basket, won't talk to anyone. Stick a costume on her for All Hallows or Yule and she was bouncing around, wagging her tail and showing off. I've got a picture of her somewhere ready to join us on a Pride outing, wearing a giant pair of rainbow fairy wings. She was so smug! I lost her last year and miss her daftness at festive occasions, the other two aren't really keen so I don't inflict it on them.

Visit site
I'll admit I've been known to dress mine up from time to time. I don't think I'd ever go around outside with him dressed up in t shirts or nice little dresses though! But, in the house, why not? He doesn't seem to mind. He just potters about the place not really bothering. I'm actually really tempted to buy him his own hoodie that I saw online but I've been told in no uncertain terms by my Dad that he's not having one and if he does, "He's not flippin' wearin' it when I'm walking him!" My other dog would let me put the clothes on him and then promptly run around and roll until he managed to get it off and then would try to rip the clothes to make sure I wouldn't do it again. He does do the same when you put a coat on him though..

Adopter

Visit site
For me there is fun dressing up, my kids did it and dogs never minded. My sisters have dogs with thin coats and they seem to love their winter coats, waterproofs and even night rug. But seeing in dogs with nail polish on or being treated as humans (TV showed dog wedding), just can not like it.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I love Santa Collie!

Mine wear hoodies / bandanas / christmas jumpers on special occasions, but nothing ridiculous (in my mind). If the dog doesn't mind, I don't mind - but I do think some look silly and it's a bit much to dress up every day... But each to their own!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Oh yes, for fun is fine. Ours have Halloween hats they wear at our bonfire and antlers for Xmas day...

Pingpongpony is your dog a poodle? She is lovely. Love the snowy photo.