Drifter and My NY resolution

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
When I bouight the lad 16 months ago I bought the sort of big handsome horse I had always wanted.

I face the fact now that several things have changed.

I forgot how much time and effort a young horse can be

I forgot that my memory of a young horse (my previous lad was 4) being not too much hassle was 15 years out of date.

I didnt know my partner would retire and turn back into the affectionate guy I used to date 30+ years ago.

I didnt think I would want to go on lots of holidays the horse was everything.

I didnt know that I no loinger wanted to go out and compete much.

I didnt know that I had reached the time in my life when I wanted to have a horse as a pet first and to compete second.

So where does that leave me and Drifter. Well he's a lovely horse although a bit of an extrovert for me.

He loves his jumping and is the horse I should have had 10 years ago.

He has a lovely nature and much better stable manners than when I bought him.

So I have made the decision that 2010 is the year I will sell my dream horse. There you are I have said it .

He is not going on the market now because only an idiot would buy a horse in January but come the spring I will find him a new home where he gets more turnout and a younger better more enthusiastic rider who can put the time and effort in that I cant be bothered with.

Jericho

Visit site
ahhh I have always followed your posts with interest so its sad to hear that you will be parting ways with your boy but it sounds like you have given much sensible soul searching thought to your very wise decision. Sometimes horses arent the be all and end all to everything. Enjoy your life and time with your partner and dont feel guilty.

For whats its worth - I always drool and go green with envy when I read everyones competition reports and see pictures of their beautiful immaculate horses being ridden everyday etc etc wishing that could be me but actually when I give it serious thought no I dont really want that, I love my happy hackers and low level comps and clinics when I get time and I love spending time with my young family and husband. At the end of the day keeping horses is a hobby for the majority of us and one that should give us pleasure and stimulation and not too much heartache and worry! Good luck!

samstar

Visit site
Good luck flibble on finding him a good home
smile.gif

golddustsara

Visit site
I'm glad you have come to a decision on him. At least now after having him, you know what you are looking for and can find a more suitable horse. I'm sure with all the hard work you have put in with him, he will sell easily and hassle free. You never know there may be someone on here looking for a young comp horse. I found my boy through HHO
grin.gif

It must have been a really tough decision so well done you. Good luck in finding a new one, how exciting. What sort of thing will you be looking for?

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
For my next horse I was thinking of one of those dapple grey ones with a flowing mane and tail that comes ready tacked up with saddle and bridle.

Doesnt need feeding or mucking out you just sit on it and it rocks backwards and forwards.

Seriously I am not going to look for anything until I have sold the lad and have had 6 months of lie ins at least.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I have followed your posts with great admiration, I dont think we are much different in age and I know I dont have the inclination (or ability, for that matter) to bring on a young horse. My own horse is a retired racehorse and although he is quite high maintenance to look after he is a lovely, kind hack and seems to enjoy the quiet life with me. For what its worth, I think you have made a very brave and sensible decision, hopefully the right one for you both. No point in prolonging it when you are obviously having doubts about things and I do hope you are able to find the right horse for you, if that's what you want? Drifter looks to be a stunning horse and Im sure you will have no trouble finding him the right, competitive home.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
For my next horse I was thinking of one of those dapple grey ones with a flowing mane and tail that comes ready tacked up with saddle and bridle.

Doesnt need feeding or mucking out you just sit on it and it rocks backwards and forwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting one of those!
grin.gif