Driving a trailer over a steep hump back bridge

skint1

Visit site
My daughter wants to go to Elmwood Equestrian Centre in Bampton Oxon at the end of the month. She went there today to check out the jumps but remarked that on the way she encountered 3 very steep hump back bridges. So steep that each bridge was preceded by a traffic sign which shows a lorry stuck on the middle of the hump if that makes sense, this did not make me as the trailer driver feel very happy at all!

I've found an alternative route to the one she took but I am nervous in case there are more bridges like this on that route too, so experienced trailer drivers how best to conquer this obstacle? I am dreading getting stuck in the middle of the bridge with 2 horses in the trailer.

Boxers

Visit site
If I were you I would ring the equestrian centre and ask them the best route to take to get to them from wherever it is you live. They will know whether these bridges cause any problems.

Christmas Magic

Visit site
My daughter wants to go to Elmwood Equestrian Centre in Bampton Oxon at the end of the month. She went there today to check out the jumps but remarked that on the way she encountered 3 very steep hump back bridges. So steep that each bridge was preceded by a traffic sign which shows a lorry stuck on the middle of the hump if that makes sense, this did not make me as the trailer driver feel very happy at all!

I've found an alternative route to the one she took but I am nervous in case there are more bridges like this on that route too, so experienced trailer drivers how best to conquer this obstacle? I am dreading getting stuck in the middle of the bridge with 2 horses in the trailer.

Those signs are for the drivers of large commercial vehicles to warn of a risk of grounding. This would not occur with a car and trailer. :rolleyes:

ROG

Visit site
Do not worry

You would need a very big distance between the rear wheels of the towing vehicle and the trailer wheels to ground it

Next time the driver comes across such a bridge, and providing nothing else is about, stop on top with the towing vehicle sloping down and the trailer sloping up and take a look at the clearance situation - that will give confidence for future such situations

skint1

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I feel reassured! And ROG I didn't realise there was a trailer towing issue forum, I should have posted there!