Driving myself slightly mad and need to vent!

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Sorry in advance as this is going to be long and probably not make a lot of sense as I am just trying to sort my thoughts out.

We moved to a new yard mid November last year, my mare was having a month off due to being attacked by a dog at the previous yard. All seemed well, yard is lovely, brilliant hacking, great people. Didn't use the school until mid-late January because of bringing mare back into work slowly. Unfortunately, due to the rain we had had, most of the surface had washed away and only the very slippery surface underneath was left. I didn't realise this until I was down there lunging my mare and she fell flat on her side from a canter! I obviously left the school immediately and checked her over. All seemed well other than a few scrapes here and there.

I spoke to the YO about the school and was assured it would be sorted ASAP.

I gave her about a week off after, everything healed up, and no lameness. Started back with walk work again for a week, then picked up trot again and today was supposed to be her first canter.

About two weeks ago she bucked with me as we were walking up one of the farm tracks, proper head down rodeo broncing. She is very fit TB mare, so can throw some shapes but that's normally if we're in a field and we disagree over what speed we're going, not when we're just plodding along. I put this down to the fact that I'd kept her feed the same as she was having when in full work. I cut everything down feed wise and told her she was being a sassy pants!

Cut to Sunday, I've been told the school is finished and usable again. I headed down there on foot just to check it out. IMO it is still not safe to ride on, surface is still thin and slippery underneath. I haven't had the chance to talk to YO about this yet but I don't think they'll be too willing to put anymore money into it unfortunately.

Today was supposed to my mares first canter since falling in the school. I rode her around the farm first to warm her up and give her a bit of a trot. Everytime I put her into trot she just started bucking. They were odd bucks, not quick or sharp like I'd expect if she were excited, they were very slow and almost laboured, but very consistent and not something she was going to be pushed through. After about 5 minutes I got off because it was obvious it was pain rather than naughtiness.

I brought her back up to the yard, untacked and gave her a thorough prod and a poke. I couldn't find anything at all, nothing even remotely sensitive or sore. Lunged her on the hard and again couldn't see anything, if I'm being super picky maybe 1/10 lame on her right fore on a very tight circle but that is it.

I've obviously rung the vet and talked to her at length. She thinks scoping for ulcers is probably the next logical step and a full lameness workup. Only problem being, I have no school to do a lameness workup.

Everything is up to date farrier every 4 weeks, physio every 3 months, and saddle check every 4 months.

Now that I've written it out it seems so silly, but I've got myself really wound up about it all. This horse is my world and I wrap her bubble wrap because she is an accident prone old bag. I think that the fact I don't have a usable school is what's really got to me and think will possibly need to finda new yard. I've just had one PTS because of wobblers and his all started with unexplained bucking. I have gotten myself wound up over something very minor, but just needed to vent so thank you if you made it this far!

eggs

Visit site
What an unfortunate experience. It does sound as though the school isn't suitable. There was a riding school my way some years ago with a wood chip surface which was notorious for horses falling over on it but still they carried on running show jumping competitions ......

Does your vet have facilities where you can box up to for the lameness workup? Alternatively would they refer you to somewhere that does? In your shoes I would be wanting to get to the bottom of the change in her behaviour. Some horses do just seem to spend their time thinking up new ways to injure themselves which is very frustrating.

Tracking_up

Visit site
What an unfortunate series of events. Are the YO horsey enough to understand the value of a good school? it sounds like the surface was very thin to start with, as we've not had (in the UK) all that much rain over the winter.

I think, it it were me, i'd be talking to the vet and/or physio about getting her checked over for any rib cage pain or injury.

Falling flat like that could cause such injuries? and even just twinging an intercostal muscle could be very painful (although extensive bucking would also be painful to her?)

sport horse

Visit site
We have just ha a horse satrt bucking for no obvious reason and it turned out that a pretty new saddle (only 1 year old nd pretty expensive) had a cracked tree. Totally not obvious even on robust investigation. It has taken two or three weeks of quiet work in another saddle for the horse to forget it and work well again.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I would suggest that in view of your mares fall that you get the vet to establish that no harm was done to her by her fall before going on to investigate ulcers etc. Providing an arena which is dangerous in use is asking for trouble and they need to get it professionally repaired or replaced so as to ensure that no further accidents.

EquestrianE01

Visit site
What an unfortunate experience. It does sound as though the school isn't suitable. There was a riding school my way some years ago with a wood chip surface which was notorious for horses falling over on it but still they carried on running show jumping competitions ......

Does your vet have facilities where you can box up to for the lameness workup? Alternatively would they refer you to somewhere that does? In your shoes I would be wanting to get to the bottom of the change in her behaviour. Some horses do just seem to spend their time thinking up new ways to injure themselves which is very frustrating.

It's so frustrating isn't it? We were told when we viewed that the school surface was a bit deep and rubbish, but nothing was ever mentioned about horses slipping on it which I have since learned is not infrequent!

Sadly my vets are purely mobile practice, but yes they can and do refer onto another local practice for these sorts of things.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I think I’d get her checked out post fall by physio first before vet. Sounds like might have tweaked something.

in terms of school surface - my rule of thumb is could I walk / run a circle on it comfortably on my own feet.

i think you will need to move if school unsuitable and there’s nowhere safe to school or lunge.

EquestrianE01

Visit site
What an unfortunate series of events. Are the YO horsey enough to understand the value of a good school? it sounds like the surface was very thin to start with, as we've not had (in the UK) all that much rain over the winter.

I think, it it were me, i'd be talking to the vet and/or physio about getting her checked over for any rib cage pain or injury.

Falling flat like that could cause such injuries? and even just twinging an intercostal muscle could be very painful (although extensive bucking would also be painful to her?)

They are horsey, however have their horses are much smaller than mine and do not slip for some reason. YO thinks it's because they're lighter so don't sink so far down into the surface, but the others of a similar size to mine on they yard do all slip just unfortunately their owners don't seem to mind.

That's a really good thought that hadn't crossed my mind! I have given the vet a message to see what she says, can't hurt to get everything looked at when she comes out.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
It's so frustrating isn't it? We were told when we viewed that the school surface was a bit deep and rubbish, but nothing was ever mentioned about horses slipping on it which I have since learned is not infrequent!

Sadly my vets are purely mobile practice, but yes they can and do refer onto another local practice for these sorts of things.

I think if you have transport, snd don’t want to go physio first, I’d ask your vet if can go straight to vet practice with an arena to do lameness assessment as school not usable at your yard.

EquestrianE01

Visit site
We have just ha a horse satrt bucking for no obvious reason and it turned out that a pretty new saddle (only 1 year old nd pretty expensive) had a cracked tree. Totally not obvious even on robust investigation. It has taken two or three weeks of quiet work in another saddle for the horse to forget it and work well again.

TBH it could also be the saddle. I lunge in a saddle rather than a roller so she had that on when she fell and I haven't had it checked. Although she has also bucked in her dressage saddle which she wasn't wearing that day. Definitely something to think about

EquestrianE01

Visit site
You haven't mentioned what sort of / how much turnout she gets. Do you see her trotting and cantering loose? How does she seem then?

She seems pretty much as normal out in the field. If she does more than mooch eating grass then we don't spend much time with all four feet on the floor, but that's not anything new. She does look okay when she's out there though

EquestrianE01

Visit site
I think I’d get her checked out post fall by physio first before vet. Sounds like might have tweaked something.

in terms of school surface - my rule of thumb is could I walk / run a circle on it comfortably on my own feet.

i think you will need to move if school unsuitable and there’s nowhere safe to school or lunge.

I do get what you're trying to say re physio first, but I think I'd feel happier having a vet out first. Just incase it's something more serious.

Totally agree with you about the school. Very sad as it's otherwise so perfect there

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I do get what you're trying to say re physio first, but I think I'd feel happier having a vet out first. Just incase it's something more serious.

Both wouldn’t hurt.

I find some vets aren’t very good at bodywork type injuries that aren’t exactly lameness. I guess it depends what vet finds. If nothing obvious maybe a physio before more invasive vet investigations?

You might be able to get a vet that’s also got bodywork qualifications (I have one, though physio with him is £120!!) it means he’s able to see all angles when doing standard vet stuff.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Totally agree with you about the school. Very sad as it's otherwise so perfect there

it’s very frustrating. I moved to a yard in July (a decade ago) making it clear I’d be using school mid week in winter under lights. Come October school flooded - bits boggy bits firm. Wet bits 18 inches deep and soft. Unusable and only start winter. I’d never have moved if I’d known school wasn’t usable most of winter. I left fast.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I think she hurt herself when she fell. Muscle-type pain perhaps. I wonder if some good massage would help.

regarding keeping her feed as usual when not in work, it would be better to reduce the concentrated portion to prevent Azoturia (Monday Morning Disease/tying up).

But, I think she's feeling very uncomfortable from falling over.

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Btw - as someone whose up early to take a pony who skidded into a fence to hospital a physio will want vet clearance!

That's exactly what I know my physio would say. I will definitely be having my physio out, but not until the vet has said it's okay to do so.

The only time Dave has ever bucked under saddle was when his saddle didn't fit. You say you have been bringing her back into work, could she have changed shape? Also if she fell in her saddle, there may be damage that isn't visible.
So frustrating to have a rubbish school.

I'm fairly sure it's not the saddle fit, my saddler and I have come up with a few different numnah and half pad configurations that I use inbetween visits if she changes shape at all. She's very nicely developed over her back now, which is how she was when it was fitted last. Having said that, obviously if vet and physio can't find anything I will get the saddler out.

I think she hurt herself when she fell. Muscle-type pain perhaps. I wonder if some good massage would help.

regarding keeping her feed as usual when not in work, it would be better to reduce the concentrated portion to prevent Azoturia (Monday Morning Disease/tying up).

But, I think she's feeling very uncomfortable from falling over.

I only kept the feed the same when she was just off for the 5 days/a week after her fall, purely because she was looking slightly poor so wanted to build her up a bit. It's not normally something I would do.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
When my pony was young he slipped and fell on his side. He was checked over by a vet the next day and she thought he was fine (no reaction to prodding etc). After a few months of issues however a 2nd vet xrayed his back and found inflammation at the top of 3 vertebrae. He injected the areas, pony had time off and physio, and he was fine. The thing is without those xrays we wouldn't have figured out what was going on. The pony wasn't lame, just not right in himself, but when I told the 2nd vet what had happened he decided to look into his back.

Hallo2012

Visit site
i think i would get physio first as more likely to be muscular strain from fall, and then if no better after another couple of weeks vet.

i think that would be better use of funds at this point and YES to new yard!!!!

sport horse

Visit site
I'm fairly sure it's not the saddle fit, my saddler and I have come up with a few different numnah and half pad configurations that I use inbetween visits if she changes shape at all. She's very nicely developed over her back now, which is how she was when it was fitted last. Having said that, obviously if vet and physio can't find anything I will get the saddler out.

It may not be the 'fit' of the saddle but that the fall damaged the tree and it now causes the horse pain. As I said in an earlier post it has taken us a good three weeks to settle a young horse again after inadvertantly using a saddle with a cracked tree and during that three weeks the horse has had 2 physio sessions plus daily quiet work. She is now jumping again very happily.

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Okay I have spoken to the vet again this morning and suggested looking into her back/ribs a bit more after the fall. She totally agreed with most of what has been said here and is coming out later this evening.

The loose plan, depending on what we find today, is to refer her to a nearby practice to have a full workup and bone scan, then see where we go from there.

I also contacted my physio who has said she won't be attending to the horse until we get given the all clear from the vet.

Thank you everyone again, I will let you know how she gets on with the vet later ?

EquestrianE01

Visit site
It may not be the 'fit' of the saddle but that the fall damaged the tree and it now causes the horse pain. As I said in an earlier post it has taken us a good three weeks to settle a young horse again after inadvertantly using a saddle with a cracked tree and during that three weeks the horse has had 2 physio sessions plus daily quiet work. She is now jumping again very happily.

I will definitely look into it, although she is bucking with both her dressage and her jump saddle. Yesterday was the first time she's had the jump saddle on since the fall, so still doesn't explain the other bucking incidents unfortunately.

flying_high

Visit site
Okay I have spoken to the vet again this morning and suggested looking into her back/ribs a bit more after the fall. She totally agreed with most of what has been said here and is coming out later this evening.

The loose plan, depending on what we find today, is to refer her to a nearby practice to have a full workup and bone scan, then see where we go from there.

I also contacted my physio who has said she won't be attending to the horse until we get given the all clear from the vet.

Thank you everyone again, I will let you know how she gets on with the vet later ?

Good luck with vet.

My physio wont see a newly lame horse without vet seeing it first, as it invalidates her insurance. But will see a horse after a fall in field / on lunge if the horse isn’t actually lame.