Driving people, could you give me some advice please?

scruffyponies

Visit site
I have a couple of ponies. Not a pair, but close enough for my purposes. I had them going together a few years ago, but stopped when they started getting out of sync, one in the traces, one in the breeching. We would end up with one effectively dragging the other, which caused a girth rub on the lazy one.

Now I have a little time, I put them back to, and today went very well. They're both quiet and well-broken as singles, so I wasn't expecting drama. I held them together perhaps a little more than I would usually, and asked for a slow walk. Nothing more (I'm sure I was not popular with the motorists today!). They managed a couple of mile circuit like this, and the only time Mr Lazy started hanging back was immediately after a downhill, when he tried to stay in the breeching. He's a bit thick and doesn't understand that he must go into draft when I tell him to. He's also sensitive enough that a flick with the whip just upsets him. By holding them back to a steady walk, they were able to sort this out without it irritating either of them.

So far so good, but I'm well aware how easy this would be to muck up. Any advice or suggestions for exercises to get them to stay co-ordinated through the paces, especially when coming in and out of draft. Is it just a case of carrying on doing lots of slow work and improving individual voice response, rather than jogging out like I would with a single?

rara007

Visit site
Probably not the answer you want but get him accepting the whip so you have back up to the voice. Safely of course....! So back to long reins and then single. He needs to listen and ponies especially can easily lead you into nagging them.

Last edited:

scruffyponies

Visit site
Probably not the answer you want but get him accepting the whip so you have back up to the voice. Safely of course....!

Perfectly fair. I was very careful not to do anything to upset either of them today, but introducing the whip is going to be necessary. He goes well single off voice alone, but of course in single harness the moment the breeching engages he is correct to hold it back.
Maybe if I start using it to back up RH turns, where it makes sense to him to go faster than his mate he might get the idea.

Edited to add that I do use the whip with him single, just not often, and he gets upset in the pair because as far as he's concerned he's being whipped when he is holding the carriage back.

Do you use a different voice command for this situation? I tend to use 'walk up, trot up' or whatever (with name so they know who I'm getting after).

rara007

Visit site
Just their name to not upset the other if he’s being lazy. Their name said firmly means get in with it. And you may still need to desensitise the other to random words (Ie his friends name) if he’s a sensitive soul otherwise you end up with one pony ignoring you still slow and the other getting more and more forwards. I assume the other one isn’t simply out-striding him...

Tarragon

Visit site
This is so interesting! I do drive one of my ponies, albeit just occasionally around the lanes. I am beginning to appreciate the complexities of driving a pair now.
Then I think back on those video clips I saw at the weekend of HRH Duke of Edinburgh, driving a coach and 4 through those obstacles!

scruffyponies

Visit site
His friend is 12 years older and 2" shorter. Definitely not out-striding him!
Both ponies have the same problem if the breeching engages. I think part of it is driver error. I have driven single for years, and have lots to learn about how to correctly drive 2. It's also perhaps because none of our vehicles have brakes, so they do expect to have to do the braking themselves. Of course in single harness the carriage just falls off the back of them as they get on the level... with two, the other horse pulls harder.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I'm not an expert but have a look at your coupling reins, you may find by changing them that will help. I've been to a lot of clinics as a spectator and that's often something that gets adjusted to help even up a pair.
It's interesting how different in height they can be and still have pretty even stride length. I suppose that's probably part of getting a well matched pair!
If you're on Facebook the British Carriagedriving chit chat page is very helpful.