Driving pony in the dark

millikins

Visit site
Has anyone driven a pony/horse in the dark on roads? Really struggling atm, as well as the usual winter short days, poor weather, long shifts restrictions there is a nursing home being built at the end of my road and there is construction traffic parked for about 1/3 mile during daylight hours making it very difficult to pass as both ends of the line of parked vehicles can't be seen at the same time. This is a massive build and nowhere near finished. The other end of the lane turns onto a busy main road which I try to avoid.
Local roads are residential and lit, obviously I'd be wearing appropriate clothing and could buy bicycle lights for cart. Is it a daft idea, after all plenty of people cycle safely in the dark?

pennyturner

Visit site
I have done it once... a short route into the middle of town to pick up Santa and the Town Mayor to go switch on the xmas lights.

We had 3 sets of bike lights, and no less than a dozen sets of fairy lights on the carriage and harness (the battery led type).
It's just about safe in slow moving busy traffic, but on a country road it would be lethal.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wouldn't risk it either we used to hack on the roads in the dark many years ago but I wouldn't even ride one on a road in the dark now, especially where I live they use the lane as a cut through and they drive very fast.

windand rain

Visit site
Its not the sort of thing that a car driver would expect to see but I would guess you would be fine on well lit roads with a lot of reflective gear and lights everywhere think the coca cola lorry

millikins

Visit site
Thanks all for replies. I have decided that although I think it would be safe in the residential lit streets (wearing lights/reflectives etc), getting there wouldn't be as would involve an unlit road wide enough for 2 cars if both slow down and pull over. Meeting a driver not expecting a pony and cart could be very dangerous.

dollyanna

Visit site
In some way I actually think you'd be more at risk on lit roads because there are already so many different lights (especially at Christmas) you wouldn't stand out - at least on an unlit road you would stick out like a sore thumb, especially with moving lights. I think you have made the right decision for everyone's safety.

chased by bees

Visit site
We ride out in the dark covered in lights. I wouldn't even consider driving though. Be hard to see far enough in front safely and you can't just nip up on to the pavement if you hear someone bombing it down the road behind you dangerously. Also vehicles coming up behind might misinterpret the shape to be a car, misjudge the speed your going and rear end you.