Dropping fetlocks - thoughts

Jayzee

Visit site
Just looking for some thoughts. Recently I've seen quite a few sales videos with horses (window shopping due to the very buoyant market) that have very flexible fetlocks behind similar to hyper flexibility. These horses have ranged from 4 years to 12 years old with even drop in each fetlock, and a range of types (cob types to TB types).

I would be slightly put off by the drop as I'm under the impression that a lot of drop in the fetlocks will put more strain on the structures (ligaments and tendons) supporting the fetlock and over time this could cause issues. I could be on the wrong though process completely so happy to be corrected.

Anyone have any thoughts about a lot of movement in the fetlocks long term, are they more likely to break down or is it of no concern?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I dislike it and I would not buy one that was excessively slack in the pasterns. . To me, it is asking for trouble, and in one horse I saw with it from a young age it was almost certainly due to ESPA (previously known as Degenerative Suspensory Ligament Disease) and the horse was PTS at seven.

CavaloBranco

Visit site
After my horse of a lifetime had to retire early with hind suspensory damage, it's a red flag to me. Conformation is the first thing I'd look at..not that I'm buying!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The fetlock dropping as the horse moves, works essentially as a shock absorber.

There is definitely an ideal range of length for pasterns to be. Too short or upright is undesirable as is too long or sloping.

It is best to assess pastern length and angle when the horse is standing still and is evenly weight bearing on each pair of legs. Leaning over onto one leg will make that fetlock lower than its pair. Breed should also be taken into account. EG a TB and QH of the same height will not have the same length pasterns. The TB will have longer pasterns.

Normal functioning lower limbs are different from 'dropped fetlocks' or DSLD which is a degenerative medical condition. As the fetlocks drop on sufferers, the hocks straighten giving the whole limb the tell tale look.

Jayzee

Visit site
Ok glad I'm not totally off the boil! But probably what I need to work out in may head is abnormal drop and functional shock absorber. These horses when stood up didn't noticeably have dropped fetlocks but in trot (and some in walk) there was a lot of movement downwards to the floor (not touching).