Dry cough..

diluteherd

Visit site
I have a youngster who's in good health. He's happy, shiny coated and a real BFG - 15hh and 11months old! lol

He has recently started to dry cough, usually one or two in a row and not a constant thing. It isnt the usual throaty dry cough from the throat either its a real deep, from the lungs type one.

He has the usual clear fluid runny nose and is on really good quality haylage and a dust free bedding and there has been no change to his routine.

The only thing I can think that would cause it is he just loves to clean other horses, and perhaps with the cleaning and all the wooly coats that are maulting he might have got hair stuck thats ticking?? I know its completely way out idea, but its just a thought.

Anyway going to get the vet to take a look soon as the bank holidays are over, just wondered if people had any other ideas?

Many Thanks xxx

diluteherd

Visit site
Its ok... well its not perfect.. but my stupid idea was over run by a better and correct answer to why he is coughing and actually since posting has started to show some mucussy snot... He's 11months and had his first vaccs a week last wednesday... hes been coughing for a few days, so betting on it be a reaction to the influenza shot.

I did have a word with the vet, see if I needed to get him some antibiotics but she seemed to think he should be ok.. He's not dying and it acting like a total loon in his new paddock so I will keep a close eye on him.

I feel like a total nasty mummy now as he probably feels a little under the weather even though his actions seem to say not and I clipped him yesterday too! (he has lice :mad:)

Attached a picture of the lad from today.. just to show he isnt a neglected little guy as this post probably makes him sound like!!

I apologise for the size of photo!! lol

IMG_9079.jpg

be positive

Visit site
If he has lice he will be a bit run down by that, he has then had had flu jab which will probably just stressed his immune system even more. It should run its course, keep him out in the fresh air as much as possible, he looks bright enough so should easily get over it.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Coughs that start in the spring/summer and aren't due to a viral or bacterial infection are usually an allergy to pollens. If your beautiful lad gets worse or doesn't get any better until autumn, then that's what you may be dealing with. I hope not for your ponio's sake as pollen allergy in a horse is a total pig to deal with and the horse's lungs inevitably get hammered.

diluteherd

Visit site
Coughs that start in the spring/summer and aren't due to a viral or bacterial infection are usually an allergy to pollens. If your beautiful lad gets worse or doesn't get any better until autumn, then that's what you may be dealing with. I hope not for your ponio's sake as pollen allergy in a horse is a total pig to deal with and the horse's lungs inevitably get hammered.

Im trying not to think down those lines at the minute.. seeing as the fields are surrounded by 2 rape fields slowly coming into bloom. It will be a total and utter bugger if it is!! I am keeping everything crossed that it is just the influenza jab showing, seeing as the time he started coughing is about the time side effects might be seen. He seems a little brighter today, no snotty nose and only heard one cough as yet. My bedroom window, where im prisoned in to study for end of terms, over looks the fields and Im keeping an ear out for any sounds of coughs.

Batgirl

Visit site
This has been round our yard recently, starting with my lad. Rang the vet, they said that it could be the weather (hot/cold/dry/wet) and/or there have been a few viruses going around. Vet said if horse is happy in himself not to worry unless it lasts longer than a few days or his health deteriorates. Feed from the floor to help everything drain (mine has everything form the floor). My boy cleared up in about a week.

Hope that is vaguely helpful :)

diluteherd

Visit site
This has been round our yard recently, starting with my lad. Rang the vet, they said that it could be the weather (hot/cold/dry/wet) and/or there have been a few viruses going around. Vet said if horse is happy in himself not to worry unless it lasts longer than a few days or his health deteriorates. Feed from the floor to help everything drain (mine has everything form the floor). My boy cleared up in about a week.

Hope that is vaguely helpful :)

Thank you, got the vet coming tomorrow, hopefully give him something to help him kick it. I dont like to hear him coughing like an old smoker :( poor boy!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Horse at my yard got a chill that led to a chest infection, had to have a scope as along with the cough was wheezing, they found thick mucus going down into his lungs.

X

P.s is he telling the rug off? Did it offend him? :D