Dry dog food for slightly more condition

{97702}

Visit site
As Millie lurcher is very active I’ve noticed she looks a bit slighter than I would like, and the two oldies Amy and Flick are also naturally losing a little bit of condition and muscle due to their age.

I’m thinking of moving away from feeding Skinners Duck and Rice to something that will give slightly more condition, and wondered if anyone had any recommendations? It’s difficult as they are not underweight, they just aren’t quite the weight I’d like them to be.

I’ve tried increasing the amount of food they get and it hasn’t been successful in terms of their cleanliness in the house!

horseperson

Visit site
I've moved my Lurchers onto the puppy version of their food, their condition is better and I can feed a little less 🙂 Mine are getting on in years and needed a little help 🙂

{97702}

Visit site
I’ve been advised not to give them a higher protein diet so I guess it is a case of adding a few more carbs and fat for them? Dog nutrition is so difficult 😱

kimberleigh

Visit site
Akela has always been my go to food, but it can be a bit much in terms of spiking the energy levels of some dogs...

You should expect poo similar to that of a raw fed dog in consistency and amount - and I've yet to meet a dog which is doesnt agree with

irishdraft

Visit site
My dogs were on raw but struggled to keep any weight on verging onto thin so changed them to dry food and now they are all a good weight. I am using burgess sensitive turkey & rice .

skinnydipper

Visit site
I’ve been advised not to give them a higher protein diet so I guess it is a case of adding a few more carbs and fat for them? Dog nutrition is so difficult 😱

This excerpt is taken from a veterinary publication entitled "Facts, fallacies, and future of pet nutrition" and it might be of interest to you.

High protein diets cause renal failure
Fallacy. There is no scientific basis for this statement. Nor is there is evidence that dietary protein intake should be restricted in older dogs or cats to "take the workload off of the kidneys". In fact, studies of laboratory beagles showed that older beagles required higher dietary protein intake to maintain nitrogen balance and muscle mass than younger beagles.

and another

https://www.orijen.ca/wp-content/themes/orijen/res/resources/Myths_of_High_Protein.pdf

Hope this helps.

(Dietary protein was something I looked into when an elderly dog had slightly reduced renal function. It wasn't at a level for the vet to be concerned and no medication or special diet was recommended.)