Dry foods for incredibly fussy greyhound?

TwyfordM

Visit site
So, if Lucy doesn't like a food. She will go on a hunger strike. She looses condition fast and starts bin raiding etc and it's generally a nightmare. Even on a food she likes she won't eat enough to make up for the calories she burns being an adhd hound.
I had her on dry food initially, wainwrights and we worked through every flavour and by the second 12kg bag she would be fed up of it. Did the usual mixing wet food in, soaking it, dog friendly gravy, adding a few treats to encourage her to start eating etc. Found with the wainwrights trays on top she would eat it for a while but eventually swapped to the trays entirely and she's eaten that well for the past couple of years and looked fab on it. Cue nans little dog moving in with us. He's on a special renal dry food diet, now this dry food she decides she loves ?‍♀️ starts going to great lengths to steal tiny dogs tiny mouthful of dry and is no longer eating her trays. Starts to only eat half the trays, until we get to the point where she will only take a mouthful of those and hunger strike again ?‍♀️ we now put little guys bowl under the sofa where she can't reach it. Had a couple of dodgy deliveries of trays that haven't been sealed properly and I've opened the boxes to find maggots ? and although wainwrights have been very good about replacing the orders. She's now only eating a tray a day rather than the 4 she needs ? so it's time for a change up.
I grabbed a bag of Harringtons salmon the other day on desperation to get her to eat something. She ate it for about 5 days before turning her nose up, grabbed another small bag of food to establish its the large biscuits she doesn't like. She wants the smaller dog small sized biscuits. I've sent emails to all the dog food companies that I would actually feed, asking for samples to try, most of them are currently working from home so unable to send out for a while but have agreed to once they are able.

So any ideas on which 2kg bags to waste my money on in the meantime? ?

Also burgess - any good? I see they do a working dog food which has a fairly high meat content but unfortunately don't do the smaller bags to try.

I've emailed most of the big names that I know are decent, arden Grange, James wellbeloved etc

TwyfordM

Visit site
I'm thinking of setting up fake tiny dog bowls.. At least if she thinks she's stealing she might eat it ?
He's on the specific one so anything resembling that I'm sure she will eat

{97702}

Visit site
Blummin greyhounds - it sounds like she has you just where she wants you for feeding! But at the same time I know the problems only too well, they miss food for a day and they look like a starvation case!

Try Arden Grange, Aurtarky, Skinners Field and Trial Duck & Rice (or Salmon & Rice if you can stand the smell!), Barking Heads.... mine have eaten all of those with enthusiasm, but to be fair they eat everything with enthusiasm! I’ve never ever had a fussy-eating greyhound ?

Or - being daring - you could try raw. I can guarantee she will love it!

TwyfordM

Visit site
Blummin greyhounds - it sounds like she has you just where she wants you for feeding! But at the same time I know the problems only too well, they miss food for a day and they look like a starvation case!

Try Arden Grange, Aurtarky, Skinners Field and Trial Duck & Rice (or Salmon & Rice if you can stand the smell!), Barking Heads.... mine have eaten all of those with enthusiasm, but to be fair they eat everything with enthusiasm! I’ve never ever had a fussy-eating greyhound ?

Or - being daring - you could try raw. I can guarantee she will love it!

Honestly been thinking about raw for ages but struggle with freezer space.

Oh yes, she knows how to get what she wants alright ?‍♀️?

Skinners... Knew I was forgetting one!!

{97702}

Visit site
Yep freezer space is a PITA when they are greyhound sized - I bought a cheap old chest freezer and stuck it in the garage, but I realise that isn’t an easy or cheap option!

TwyfordM

Visit site
Yep freezer space is a PITA when they are greyhound sized - I bought a cheap old chest freezer and stuck it in the garage, but I realise that isn’t an easy or cheap option!

If I had anywhere to stick one I'd be on the lookout but I've already had to shove a freezer in the bedroom ?‍♀️?

Honestly, anything under £70 a month isn't going to phase me at this point ?
I want a second but the food costs are putting me off massively. Little guy is about £20 even on the special food!

leflynn

Visit site
I'm having the same issue with mine the last few weeks, she eats breakfast eventually and dinner goes in two sittings...

Millies Wolfheart, Country dog from Mole valley (grain free) - I look for those without Chicken as she can't tolerate it so its that bit more tricky! Thought I'd cracked it by feeding fishy varieties but seems not to be

TwyfordM

Visit site
I'm having the same issue with mine the last few weeks, she eats breakfast eventually and dinner goes in two sittings...

Millies Wolfheart, Country dog from Mole valley (grain free) - I look for those without Chicken as she can't tolerate it so its that bit more tricky! Thought I'd cracked it by feeding fishy varieties but seems not to be

Drives you nuts doesn't it!
Have some samples being sent out by skinners and autarky. They were super helpful and quick to respond so fingers crossed she will like some of those ?

paisley

Visit site
It's possibly worth a quick squint at ingredients, purely as mine did this early on - I used to put him in the garden to eat so I couldnt see Tragic Face of Sorrow at Rubbish Food
It looks like pea protein/flour makes him yak, although whole peas are fine. Been on same fish based food for about 9 years now as its pea protein free, and sings if its not ready quick enough
Would still obvs prefer if I fed him more toast and butter, ?

TwyfordM

Visit site
It's possibly worth a quick squint at ingredients, purely as mine did this early on - I used to put him in the garden to eat so I couldnt see Tragic Face of Sorrow at Rubbish Food
It looks like pea protein/flour makes him yak, although whole peas are fine. Been on same fish based food for about 9 years now as its pea protein free, and sings if its not ready quick enough
Would still obvs prefer if I fed him more toast and butter, ?

? She's very good at the ignore you eating totally, pretend she's asleep etc. Wait until you get up and put plate in the kitchen, left overs in bin or somewhere to add to her dinner. Wait again until you either go to the bathroom or something then go retrieve the leftovers even if hours have passed and it's in a sealed bin... She just drags whole bin through to the living room and to her bed ?‍♀️?

Honestly she's a nightmare... But a smart one!! ?

meleeka

Visit site
Mines on Wainrights, the blue salmon bag which is small bites. She’s also incredibly fussy. You really need a second dog that’ll eat all the rejected bags.

paisley

Visit site
? She's very good at the ignore you eating totally, pretend she's asleep etc. Wait until you get up and put plate in the kitchen, left overs in bin or somewhere to add to her dinner. Wait again until you either go to the bathroom or something then go retrieve the leftovers even if hours have passed and it's in a sealed bin... She just drags whole bin through to the living room and to her bed ?‍♀️?

Honestly she's a nightmare... But a smart one!! ?
Chuck her actual dinner in the bin and go out the room ??!! ?

paisley

Visit site
You may have nailed it ?
Trust me, I feel your pain. Talking to someone who has melted a tiny bit of butter and poured it over dry food, kept a ration in an old tripe sticks bag (works surprisingly well), pretended to eat it for myself, tried every food bowl going (he hates metal/pottery)
Its actually almost fun at local shows where the new shiny dog food being proudly handed out as delicious for all dogs is instantly spat out. My vets kept a packet of treats just for him, as milk bones are apparently the work of the devil

TwyfordM

Visit site
Trust me, I feel your pain. Talking to someone who has melted a tiny bit of butter and poured it over dry food, kept a ration in an old tripe sticks bag (works surprisingly well), pretended to eat it for myself, tried every food bowl going (he hates metal/pottery)
Its actually almost fun at local shows where the new shiny dog food being proudly handed out as delicious for all dogs is instantly spat out. My vets kept a packet of treats just for him, as milk bones are apparently the work of the devil

?? Glad I'm not alone, old boy was the same so may well be that I pander them

TwyfordM

Visit site
Well skinners sample bags arrived today and she absolutely demolished the workers muesli ?
Trying her with the superior one tomorrow, that has a much higher meat content and looks less like hamster food ? although I think the muesli is a winner as its coated in glucose syrup..

Clodagh

Visit site
Well skinners sample bags arrived today and she absolutely demolished the workers muesli ?
Trying her with the superior one tomorrow, that has a much higher meat content and looks less like hamster food ? although I think the muesli is a winner as its coated in glucose syrup..

I wouldn't feed the muesli myself (out of choice I mean, I totally get why you would resort to it) but I have lots of shooting friends who feed it to their dogs and they all look well on it, and work hard. The poos are a bit daunting!!

TwyfordM

Visit site
Mines good on Burgess sensitive. I've just started adding some original Chappie to it. She literally wolfs it down and has nice firm poop to boot.

I was looking at burgess but waiting on sample packs once they are able to send.
The skinners superior was a reluctant eat half slowly but no enthusiasm. Autarky white fish she only ate when I soaked it a little but still wasn't that keen ?‍♀️
Poos after museli was OK but looked like she had been in the cornflakes ?