Dry Shampoo for horses

Julia0803

Visit site
Hi All,

Has anyone used one of the dry shampoo sprays for horses? I think Gold Label does one and there is another called miracle groom.

My son is occasionally riding a pony who regularly lies in his poo in his stable and in the field. He smells like a public loo, poor boy! He is a big roll-er and is always absolutely covered in mud... and just for fun, guess what colour he is... yup grey!!

We gave him a wash on his belly, which was the worst affected area, at the weekend which has helped a little, but really he needs a proper bath, of course it is too cold. So I was hoping to go and buy one of these sprays to see if they help at all. I'm not fussed about the yellow mud staining really, although it would be nice, but I want to make him more comfortable and less smelly if possible as it can't be very nice for him.

Thanks very much

Visit site
Hi I used one the other day and can say that it did absolutely nothing!! LAthered up a little but no cleaning effect!!

Sorry cant remember the name...

I would just wash in warm water, towel dry like mad after and keep them well rugged and out of drafts

;-)

catkin

Visit site
Have never used dry shampoo as I find that hot-clothing usually helps a lot.

If you've not done it all you need is a bucket of hot water with a dash of cider apple vinegar in it and a couple of cloths (I use terry-towelling face flannels) Have the water as hot as you can stand it.
Wet the cloths in hot water then wring out until just damp.
Rub over horses coat, the heat and dampness will lift out the dirt without getting the horse too cold.
When the cloth has lost it's heat and or is dirty then rinse, re-wet, wring and do the next bit!

Most horses enjoy it, and it's great at getting scurf out of manes and tails too.

tinap

Visit site
I tried a cheapo stain remover once because it came in a pack with some fly spray (both for £11!)

It's the best thing ever!!! It gets our coloured ponys yellow & mucky hocks & poo-y sides white everytime. Just spray it on, rub in, leave for 5 mins then brush it off.

I'll see if I can find the make cos I can't remember xx

Julia0803

Visit site
Thank you all.

I will try the hot towelling today as I don't think they have that brand of spray at the local tack shop. But will probably order some for the future!

With the hot towelling, how wet does the coat get? Just damp? His rug doesn't have a neck cover so don't want him to get too cold.

Think I will hot cloth his neck and legs and see how his belly is today- it was pretty vile at the weekend, so may have to try and wash and towel that bit again.

Thanks for the help!

Skippys Mum

Visit site
Cowboy Magic do a great spot remover. I also use human Batiste dry shampoo - it works well bringing Arnies white bits up nice:)