Drying a rain soaked pony

**Vanner**

Visit site
Hi all,

I've not posted for a bit, still undecided about the new look but have finally found the new thread button.

I put my boys out naked (oh the horror!) however at the moment it seems that an hour before I can get down it rains and so I have a wet coblet waiting for me.

Does anyone have any quick ways of drying him ready for riding?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Well the old fashioned way that we were taught at pony club was to cover the pony's back with a layer of straw and then bung on a turnout rug on top. But that probably sounds pre-historic to the current generation, raised on quick-fixes and technical fabrics:):):)

Nowadays I'd bung on my trusty Thermatex rug. They're not exactly cheap, but the best way to dry a wet back IME. Can't be bettered. You can get cheapie alternatives but they ain't half so good.

maree t

Visit site
To be honest if they were just wet from the rain we would tack up and ride as normal. They tend to sweat a bit this time of year anyway so cant see any harm from being wet. We do have natives so think they can cope with a bit of rain

Kallibear

Visit site
As long as they're clean I don't bother drying them off before riding. They have sheepskin saddle pads so it wicks thr moisture away pretty quickly. It's no different than if they'd sweated under the saddle.

Tobiano

Visit site
Well the old fashioned way that we were taught at pony club was to cover the pony's back with a layer of straw and then bung on a turnout rug on top. But that probably sounds pre-historic to the current generation, raised on quick-fixes and technical fabrics:):):)

Nowadays I'd bung on my trusty Thermatex rug. They're not exactly cheap, but the best way to dry a wet back IME. Can't be bettered. You can get cheapie alternatives but they ain't half so good.

Exactly this!! Both bits :)

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
^^^^^
Yep, straw and turnout rug or thermatex if you have time.
I usually just sweat scrape the saddle area and give him a rub round his head and ears with an old towel where the bridle goes and then use a thicker saddle pad which allows the skin to breathe underneath. Never had any complaints from pony so far ;)

JillA

Visit site
I have a heat lamp which at this time of year I hang over where he stands with his haynet, so I scrape and towel then stand him under that. Much quicker than thatching or a thermatex rug, and he loves it.

EQUISCENE

Visit site
If they are really wet I sweat scrape the worse off then just rub over with a towel, tack up & go..

Probably not in the BHS manual but hey its worked okay for last 40 yrs lol

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site

I still use this method, although use a fleece.