Dually, do they work?

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
Well I've had my horse for 8 weeks now, he's been a star so far, but now he's settled in and we've got to know each other the git keeps pulling away from me and running off. When I put the lead rope around his nose he doesn't do it. So would it be worth buying a Dually head collar? I tried to load him today and he just ran off, he is built like a tank and he knows it.

Meandtheboys

Visit site
I love mine and basically use it for everything, it hangs up with the head collar..........I used it alot for breaking my youngster especially walking on the roads in hand.

Definitly worth a try - can you not borrow one?

Persephone

Visit site
Yes, yes, yes! I was having immense trouble with my large youngster, she was striking out, going up and double barrelling.

Within 5 minutes of having the halter on she was totally submissive, licking and chewing and I now have her full attention at last.

I haven't had to use it in the way shown on the DVD, I have been much gentler, but she has just rolled over and accepted it. Even to the extent of putting her nose in it instead of sticking her head in the air.

I have only used it four times but the difference is staggering :)

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
I'm hoping one will work with him as he does respect the rope around his nose. He is by far the strongest horse I've owned, sadly no one on my yard has one I could borrow. Think I'll order one and give it a try. Thanks.

TigerTail

Visit site
Yes they def work, do watch the vid to see how its done.

The key with any horse though is consistency ie just because you are in a rush or having a bad day doesnt mean you let him walking in front of you slide, you correct it each and every time. Also the timing of the pressure and release is very important.

Just incase you dont see on the website they are sized by colour, dont order red cos you like the colour thats the small size, black the medium, blue enormous :)

darkhorse123

Visit site
Another one who can vouch for them - my very rude bolshy cob was uncontrollable when i got him - dragged me all over the yard.

Not anymore - thanks to the dually he no longer has control, i do.
Its not only good to stop yanking but to teach general ground manners such as back up - wouldnt be without mine

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
they def do work, another vote from me, my 17hh hunter used to drag me off and now he doesnt and he is actually much happier too as he knows where he stands. Ive never had to pull on it, he just respects it. Well made too, have had mine 5 years so worth the money.

NB horse in question is 19 but acts like a 3yo colt when there is fresh grass in sight....

Nari

Visit site
Excellent bit of kit IMO. Check the size you've ordered though, maybe they've changed but black used to be medium & blue large.

attheponies

Visit site
Yes, yes, yes! I was having immense trouble with my large youngster, she was striking out, going up and double barrelling.

Within 5 minutes of having the halter on she was totally submissive, licking and chewing and I now have her full attention at last.

I haven't had to use it in the way shown on the DVD, I have been much gentler, but she has just rolled over and accepted it. Even to the extent of putting her nose in it instead of sticking her head in the air.

I have only used it four times but the difference is staggering :)

Brilliant news - so pleased it has helped!

TigerTail

Visit site
Yes it is wonderful :) She actually doesn't even try to pull me around, it's like having a balloon at the end of a string! In fact I don't think she actually wants to barge me, she is so intent on trying to please!

Thank you so much :)

Yay so glad its helped :D

OP the blue is massive and i mean MASSIVE! ie for heavy breeds massive!

FionaM12

Visit site
They are very generously sized. My 14.2 mare uses a red (pony sized) one.

I bid for mine 2nd on ebay :) She used to tank off when I tried to bring her from the field. It worked a treat and rarely need to use it now. :)

Persephone

Visit site
He is a 16h IDX cob and his head is very large. He does wear a full normal head collar. The site says the do have a few holes so are adjustable.

My filly is ID/TB 16hh ++ and wears an xfull browband and headpiece to give her ears room. She is in a full size headcollar.

The black dually fit's her nicely and there is still more adjustment.

TigerTail

Visit site
You could ring the shop first thing monday and ask them to send a black one instead? The only thing ive ever used the blue for was a 17.2 gelderlander stallion....Theyl take it back if it doesnt fit i think.

duallys are more versatile to me than a standard rope halter - they also only use nose pressure not poll pressure and are well padded across the poll so more comfy to my mind :) You also have two rings either side so can longline and dual lunge with more precise aids than you can in a rope halter.

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
Thanks, found out that my friend has a black one, so I'm going to try it for size tomorrow, then if it fits I'll ring the shop. Although even my friend says my horse has a very large head ;-) Come to think of it he's large all over. Thanks for all the replies, looks like a big thumbs up for them.

Toffee44

Visit site
I had one (dually) for years and then this year discovered a Richard Maxwell one.

I made my own out of yachting rope. My mare doesnt try to invade it so much I also get a quicker reaction out of it.

Persephone

Visit site
Tbh with my filly's age and size it's nice being able to clip to the headcollar for tying up and then back to the other ring to lead again.

I am a lazy wretch.

BuzzLightyear

Visit site
they are fab!

I'd recommend doing a bit of work in it before you try to lead him out, I use one with my youngster and spent some time backing up and moving him about so that he understood the pressure and what he needed to do to release it. Now he leads perfectly.

Keep us updated how you get on :D

sydney

Visit site
I didn't get on with mine at all- but to be fair I didn't persevere with it.

Find the Richard Maxwell halter far far better, especially for loading. Comes with a DVD to show you how to use it. Really rate it.

dogcalleddill

Visit site
Yes, they're absolutely brilliant! When I got mine it was an absolute revelation. Feisty Welshie now leads like an angel and even on a bad (eg very windy) day doesn't even try to tank. Best bit of kit I ever bought!

Nari

Visit site
I have the blue one for my 16.2 ID gelding, the black would barely do up even on the loosest holes & was incredibly tight. He has a very square, chunky head though - wide & very deep through the jaw, he needs x-full nosebands (& I still had to punch an extra hole on the very end) & I get browbands specially made up.