Dually, do they work?

Cheiro1

Visit site
I am going to be the odd one of the bunch and say I have found them to be USELESS when horses want to run off.

I am sure they have a fab purpose, and there are obv a lot of people they work for....fab......but for my friends 2 year old who has learnt her owner cant hold her,the thing is as useful as a chocolate teapot!!

ETA yep I know the 2 year old needs some manners....not my horse!! lol

wizbit

Visit site
I didn't get on with the Dually, neither did my horse. I now use a simple rope type halter and have re-established our groundwork.
I think people forget the key is to go back to basics and sort out groundwork rather than what gadgets you use.

Persephone

Visit site
My youngster was getting very resentful in the rope one, with the Dually I can move her anywhere I want and she listens to me intently. Even to the extent that she has stopped messing around having her feet washed, andthat is while it is clipped to the headcollar part.

I have to say I wasn't expecting such a massive turnaround, but it came instantly. For all I know she could have worn one before, but she doesn't seem to resent the Dually.

dotty1

Visit site
Yep they do work, got my stubborn 4 year old in the trailer within 3 mins. Stopped the planting and waving around with thr front legs. Bes £45 I spent last year.

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
Well managed to borrow the a black one off my friend to try, I was impressed to be honest, je went to pull me to the grass, one little pull and he stopped straight away. And thanks to everyone who said the blue is massive, I've e-mailed them to change my order as the black fitted.

lottie940

Visit site
The Dually is mainly about teaching a horse to give to pressure. You ask them to do something such as walk on or halt and the reward is that when they do it you release the pressure on the rope. I've found it really helpful with my youngster but I did have guidance on how to use it from a RA from the IH group. Not sure how effective they are at preventing a horse from running off!!

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
I have had one for my cob for nearly 10 years now - I use it every day as her headcollar - she doesn't have a 'normal' headcollar at all. If they are being bolshy it is also important to have a long lead rope to go with it. Mine generally has her rope on the 'normal' ring rather then the side rings but if she is getting on her toes it is nice and easy to swap it over. She is too big to be allowed to take the piss:eek:

As some one else said they are good dquality - mine is used daily and is 10 years old now - but it is important to learn to use it properly and persevere with it:)

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Not sure how effective they are at preventing a horse from running off!!

They are brilliant but you have to know how to use it properly AND have a longer lead rope than usual. My cob would run through you and then drag you round the yard as you couldn't stop her - not with a dually and long lead rope but as I saidi above you have learn to use it properly and if they are running off make sure you wear gloves!:eek::eek:

carthorse15

Visit site
I have just bought a Kemp Controller,but I haven't used it yet. Has anyone ever tried one,& what do you think of it?

Hi Peegeesmum, I've just bought a Kemp Controller. I've only used it once and there was no signs of bolshiness, though thats not unusual!

Usually when you are feeling very pleased with yourself, smiling, happy - ecstatic almost that all is going well and that all your groundwork has paid off - the performance begins. Stop, look alarmed, bunny hop, rear, spin and tank off, stand at top of hill and stare - do that several times until owner totally exhausted then plod in like donkey for treat.

So still to see if will actually help. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it and what you need it for.

eatmoremincepies

Visit site
It gives you extra "strength" but you also need the technique to get the best out of it, makes sure you watch the DVD, and to get the most out of it get an IH RA lesson. They will take you through the timing, angles, body language, pressure/release & exercises which can have a knock-on effect on all sorts of behaviours, as well as leading.

miss_wilson

Visit site
I have found the dually to work really well, it comes with a dvd which shows correct use of it! I have seen so may people use one without having a clue!!