Dull, flat, lethargic....

maisie

Visit site
Anyone else's horse feeling like this at the moment? - my boy is just not interested in anything - hacking/jumping/schooling/lunging - he's just got no energy - have run bloods and there is nothing wrong - have put him on a course of Equisup to see if it will 'lift' him a bit - he's eating OK - but drinking a bit more than usual. Maybe it's the time of year......

WoodysMum

Visit site
My boy has been like this recently, despite having a good diet, and physio a few weeks ago.
frown.gif
Its quite sad to see because I feel like its my fault somehow!

hollyandivy123

Visit site
down where i come from being a west country lass, we call this "bramble coat", when the brambles ripen and the horses coats start to look at bit dull, its the change into autumn, unfortuantely this year we forgot to have the summer
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
But we also found that the ponys started to loose their umph, i guess growing a coat might take a bit more energy and the grass has started to loose its goodness

FinellaGlen

Visit site
My pony has been like this for a couple of weeks but she perked up a lot yesterday when I took her to a show. She was all eyes out on stalks and at one point I asked her to walk over a scary drain cover and she jumped back and landed briefly on my car bonnet before leaping forwards again
crazy.gif
When we'd finished our class though she looked as if she was ready to go to sleep. I have had her checked over by my friend's husband (he's a vet) and she's fine so I have decided that it must be the time of year.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
My horse was, but due to a wedding, party, and him throwing a shoe he has not been ridden since wednesday last week.

Being shod tomorrow, but I can already tell he's going to be a b*gger when I get back on
wink.gif

Think they just feel as depressed as we do about the weather tbh. I'm sure they'll perk up when (if?!) the september flush of grass comes through
smile.gif

ladyt25

Visit site
If their winter coats are coming through they may be feeling a bit warma nd uncomfortable. Also I think the lushness has dropped out of the grass a bit (think it often does this time of year). Probably when we get that flush of grass in september the horse's moods will pick up.

Alternatively go out for a hack and try meeting up with 2 tractors and a combine - that perks them up!!!!
grin.gif

maisie

Visit site
- yesterday we encountered a kids birthday party - balloons, footballs, screaming kids - normally enough to make him turn tell and leg it - he didn't even notice any of it!! - not like him at all... he has a nice glossy coat and looks well and he's not really moulting much yet. Odd.

bex1984

Visit site
Mine has gone a bit ploddy this week, but I seem to remember exactly the same happening last year when his coat started to change. And then he acted like he had a rocket up his *rse for the whole of winter
tongue.gif

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
Another vote for Procell plus! My lad was like this about this time last year but his bloods did show a slight anemia. He was on Procell plus for about 2 months full measure for about a month and then over the next month slowly reducing the amount till nil. Vet said not good to just suddenly take them off it. Definately made a difference.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Or try Visorbin., lots of iron and vits/mins, Royal Vet college recommended it to me after horsie ill recurrently with a virus as a pick me up, and it really works and he loves the green gloop taste too! you can get it online from equine pharmacies.

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
Yes Ellie has been a bit lacking in ooomphfor a few days now. Her winter coat is starting to come through but with the weather being the way it is at the mo she's been sweating a lot. Getting a clip tomorrow to see if that helps lift her a bit. She's got a party on Sunday so hopefully it will do the trick