Dum Dum is growing up!

Visit site
Many of you may remember the dummy foal we had a couple of years ago. The vets were worse than useless and it was a stressful time all round! Well little Dum Dum is a fairly big lad now! Just past his 2nd birthday and whilst still not the tallest (considering his parents) he is going to make a useful size. Honestly he was so tiny when he was born we thought he would end up being a mini ??

Pics are of him a week old and then today having had his first bath of the season.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220526-103803_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220526-103803_Facebook.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20220526-103707_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220526-103707_Gallery.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot_20220526-103715_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220526-103715_Gallery.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 141
Visit site
Bless him ! he really was a tiddler. He is super cute. I dont know anything about dummy foals, has he developed normally now?

Yeah the first 5 days he wasn't right but gradually got better each day. He was OK by day 6 and on day 7 we decided he was as right as he was ever going to be so he went out to the field. He was smaller and weighed less than a labrador! But from then on he hasn't looked back. He was always very small as a foal. Small but correct as a yearling and this year he has just started blossoming. In the long term most dummy foals have no further issues once they fully wake up.

ElleSkywalker - his mother grew 2in at 7yo so anything is possible ?? I will put a stick on him later but I think he is around the 38in mark. His dad is 41.5in and his mother is 42in *cough*plus another 2in*cough*. If he makes it to 40in I will be super pleased.

At the moment he is running on as a Colt as there is no reason not to. Whether he stays that way in years to come only time will tell. But he loves galloping and jumping so maybe it will be a case of whipping off the crown jewels and sending him racing ??

Visit site
Do they have to be a certain size to race?
Is he show quality? (I know nothing of shetties) he looks good to me.

Over 38" under 42" to race so he will be able to do that regardless as I do think he is 38" just now as a 2yo. He is most definitely show quality under the right set of judges. Some like them like him - lighter of frame, big movers and very much performance type ponies. Others like the bigger, heavier set ponies that you could drive a bus between their front legs. So I wouldn't necessarily show him under the heavier kind of judges but he will do plenty well enough under the performance type judges. To me he lacks bone. That might catch up with the rest of him at some point but if not he still has plenty enough.