Dumb question-Cold backed horses

Aleka81

Visit site
I know this is probably a daft question but is it possible for a horse to become cold backed. ie not cold backed from the start.
And if it is what sort of things would you say that caused it?
Thanks guys

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I used to have one, we bought her as rising 4. We realised that she had changed shape and needed a new saddle, that sorted it for a while. Then years later, when she was a nightmare to do anything with, we realised that she could not eat sugar/cereals. Her skin was very sensitive (among other things) and that meant that she didn't like you putting anything on her and fastening it, saddle/rugs/etc.
IMO there is no such condition as 'cold-backed' really BUT there are horses who for various reasons are uncomfortable when being saddled. The answer is to find out what is causing the problem. Easier said than done in many cases!

Halfstep

Visit site
Various things spring to mind:

Kissing spines.

Soft tissue damage or strain to the ligaments in the back.

Feet or leg problems leading to extreme tension/muscle spasm in the back.

Damage to the big nerve that runs close to the surface of the skin right where the girth goes.

Skin problems - rain scald or allergies (even long healed).

could go on.........

Aleka81

Visit site
Hmm

Reason I ask is new mare has been a nightmare as C you already know!

The thing I have now noticed is once five or so minutes of work have been done she is absolutely fine. This improvement has come since the last back treatment and two weeks off plus a week of bute which I stopped ten days ago. Still having her back done regularly. Saddle is not perfect but the riser pad makes it almost spot on. She will have a new saddle if she stays with me. Long story!!

Haven't really got tonnes of cash to investigate the problems....

Aleka81

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

could go on.........

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point on this!
The skin has improved and is not even visible now.
But I see what your saying..

Halfstep

Visit site
Probably a case of tension/anticipation of pain. If you are keeping her, perhaps get her looked at, at the very least back x-rays. if its mild kissing spines a few injections and some careful remedial work should sort it.

Is there any chance that she would long rein? Its a brilliant way to get them to relax over the back and stretch - but from what you say I'd guess she would need to be taught to do it and might object strongly at first!

Halfstep

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

could go on.........

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point on this!
The skin has improved and is not even visible now.
But I see what your saying..

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps a sheepskin pad between the skin and the saddle might be worth a try.

Aleka81

Visit site
Ooohh C hadn't thought about long reining. Will give that a bash this week I think.

I'm planning on making the decision about keeping her in the next week or so.

Any ideas on the cost of the x rays?

And yes to sheepskin! Will steal Berties for a while and see if that helps.
x

charlie55

Visit site
If there is no such thing as cold backed, what could be wrong is a horse passed a vetting, and even had an equine back surgeon look at his back and couldnt find any reason for arching his back for the first 5 mins when you mount??? Just curious x

Aleka81

Visit site
Was this directed at me??
If it was I didn't say I had had her looked at by a surgeon or had her vetted
smile.gif

Off topic slightly..halfstep is coming to see my mare at 2pm! How exciting!!

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Was the saddle on the horse when he was vetted? was the rider on board? In many cases there is actually nothing physically wrong with the horse - but there is with the saddle. Tacks in the panels, serious lumps on the tree chunks of 'stuff' in the flocking. broken tree. welding in the head plate. Or simply a saddle that does not fit the horse. As a result the horse will show pain as the saddle goes on and then for the first five or ten minutes until the pressure dissipates the pain. Imagine a toothache - it hurts - press it hard with a finger - it initially is very painful but then the pressure makes the pain go. That is the same effect when a saddle is placed on a horses back which hurts it. Ride it for five mins and the back then goes down. So if this was the case - the horse will show no symptoms when shown to the vet with no saddle on.

Persephone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Various things spring to mind:

Kissing spines.

Soft tissue damage or strain to the ligaments in the back.

Feet or leg problems leading to extreme tension/muscle spasm in the back.

Damage to the big nerve that runs close to the surface of the skin right where the girth goes.

could go on.........

[/ QUOTE ]

Gastric Ulcers too