Dummy foal-and recovery

millikins

Visit site
https://scontent.ffab1-2.fna.fbcdn....=63c0162643616ac2977b233676de1a6b&oe=60D422FD

Our Dales mare foaled on Monday 17th May. Unfortunately he was a dummy foal, daughter called me at work when he still wasn't up after 2 hours from her arrival and she'd called the vet. Fortunately the vet was close and the one who usually deals with our ponies. He arrived and it was full on emergency stations, he milked the mare, tubed the foal, put up IV fluids and told us the only, albeit very slim, chance the foal had of surviving was to go to hospital.
I didn't think he'd make the journey but daughter wanted to try so he went with his mum. He survived the journey, then overnight. He stayed from Mon to Thurs, with the nurses feeding him hourly and supporting him to stand. He stood himself for the first time on Weds but couldn't maintain a stand and suckle but was strong enough to come home Thurs evening.
Daughter and I continued to share hourly milking/feeding, until on Saturday afternoon he latched on and suckled unaided for the first time.
He hasn't looked back since, on vet's advice he's still having 3 top up bottle feeds daily but he bounced around the field when I turned them out this morning. He still has a slightly low head carriage, no cause has been found so hopefully it's just bruised and it is improving.
So daughter and I are knackered, I haven't had the bill yet and I might have to sell a kidney however we have a beautiful Dales colt called Griffin :)

Is anyone able to turn my link into a picture please? Amymay kindly did last time.

TPO

Visit site
You both must be shattered. Very worth it based on his cuteness!!

I hope that he continues to improve and is back to full health in no time. Elf had a dummy foal last year irrc and he is completely healthy now in her most recent post about him.

Keep the photos coming! You should be in bed catching up with sleep by this time ?

millikins

Visit site
You both must be shattered. Very worth it based on his cuteness!!

I hope that he continues to improve and is back to full health in no time. Elf had a dummy foal last year irrc and he is completely healthy now in her most recent post about him.

Keep the photos coming! You should be in bed catching up with sleep by this time ?

Thank you TPO, for the comment and the picture :)

Reactions: TPO

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What a battle. I hope after all that he's also stallion quality and can help preserve his rare breed in the future. (Though of course he was still worth it even if he can't. ) We'll done with saving him, you and your daughter deserve a medal.

tda

Visit site
I also saw your post on the Dales Facebook page, so pleased for you all.

A friend of mines mare had a partbred foal from a dales mare purchased not knowing she was in foal. Sadly after a couple of weeks in the vets, back home, back to the vets he had to be pts.

Clodagh

Visit site
I had (well, the mare did) a dummy foal, years ago now. He grew up fine, he was always a bit dim but as the vet said, dim can be an advantage and you don't want him to be a chess champion anyway. He was actually easier for being a bit slow on the uptake, he was a very easy horse.
And Griffin is gorgeous. Congratulations.

millikins

Visit site
An update as I have managed to post these pictures all by myself.

Griffin at 3 1/2 months, nobody would be able to tell he'd almost not made it. A strong, handsome, very good natured fool of a pony who loves showing off. :) The pics were taken by a friend.

Attachments

• Griffin and Bunny Aug 21.jpg
    Griffin and Bunny Aug 21.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Griffin 2 Aug 21.jpg
    Griffin 2 Aug 21.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 87

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well isn't he a bonny boy now. Will he stay a stallion, since he's rare breed?

Last edited:

millikins

Visit site
Well isn't he a bonny boy now. Will he stay a stallion, since he's rare breed?

It would be tempting but I really don't have the facilities for a stallion and would rather he lived a full, happy life than a very restricted one. I am going to try and find him colt turnout so I can delay the decision until we've had a chance to have him graded. He looks good to me, and my farrier (Welsh afficionado) admires him but I really have no idea how good he is. He has no white on him except a tiny star (allowed) so he's a Section A.

Visit site
I had a dummy foal last year but he was a mild dummy. He could get up-ish, stotter about, fall over, bump into things, feed from a bottle before the mare then need reminded of it, he had his tongue hanging out too for the first 36 hours. By day 6 you would say he was completely normal. He had no vet intervention as they wouldn't come out to see him and wanted the best part of £1k a night for a minimum of 3 nights for him to be in the vets.

He is a yearling now as you would never know how his life started. He has done well in the show ring and whilst he is a bit too small for my liking and use he is a perfectly well built, good moving pony.

Good luck with your lad! Their start on life often doesn't hold them back at all once they get going.

millikins

Visit site
Liphook were marvellous as was my vet. The bill in the end was just under £3k with another £550 for my vets. So not what you want but I was expecting £4.5 to £6k for the work they did so I was quite relieved.