Dump question clipping/rug..

xTrooperx

Visit site
This will make me sound very slow, but I have never had to clip before. So... My pony is in work and is getting sweaty chest/neck/between front legs and belly so am thinking of doing a bib type clip (thinking ears to just behide girth area)but this is when I'm hAving my blonde moments I understand clipping = rugs depending of weather etc.. But if I was to rug with the clip above, surely most of the naked side woukd be uncovered or would it be a combo jobs, .. But I'm worried about the rest being all hairy and sweating with said rug.Am I really dumb and not getting it?

xTrooperx

Visit site
just a quick google search, what I'm Probably thinking of is more of a low trace clip I guess.. But still questions apply.
I'm so useless...

xTrooperx

Visit site
just a quick google search, what I'm Probably thinking of is more of a low trace clip I guess.. But still questions apply.
I'm so useless...

Theocat

Visit site
Do a low chaser or trace clip. The clipped bits aren't pointing up towards the rain, but are the places where the horse will get sweaty, so he'll be much more comfortable when you work him. The rug will help keep him warm overall - you could always use a neck if you needed to, but older pony manuals talk about bib clips and similar being suitable for hairy neddies living out unrugged, so it very much depends on the horse.

If the horse is living out and isn't completely sweaty, just leave hair along the top side of the neck, as with either of those clips and that will give protection from bad weather, and even a standard neck rug will help keep the temperature up overall - not just the rugged bits. Remember the rug covers the whole chest, so really the only uncovered bit is the underside of the neck.

loopinlou

Visit site
Tbh everyone will have a different answer and it will depend on their horses type, workload and their daily routine.

For example I have always clipped my horse who is a welsh sec d cob, his clips have varied from a trace/blanket to hunter clip. he also lives out so is ridden most days which can vary from 25mins flat/jump work or lunging in the arena in the evening to 2 hr hacks on my days off

I prefer not to overrug him and i layer his rugs as if the sun comes out he gets really hot and will end up soaked in sweat which actually makes it colder! Particulalry as you rightly said the clipped coat for a blanket is on the neck So he will generally wear a full neck rain sheet as this will keep him dry and the wind off his body. he will generally wear this until mid-late dec unless it gets below freezing/snow when i will put an lightweight stable rug under it to add some warmth or out a 200g turnout on him. In the early autumn/spring he'll wear a standard neck rain sheet instead.

He gets a reasonably sized feed of hifi lite chaff mixed with pony nuts over the winter as he has access to a larger field that is rested over the summer and ad lib hay is given when it snows/ground is frozen.

Last edited:
Visit site
I have hairy natives and I am going to be giving mine a similar clip. I find that the combos rub their manes out so am planning on standard rugs. I'm not an expert, but as said above, the clipped bits won't be getting wet and wet is far harder for horses to cope with than cold. If your pony is rugged with a standard rug, the majority of their skin is covered and they should be warm enough. Mine would both live out quite happily unrugged (they are like hairy teddy bears) but I like to keep them clean. I do have separate neck covers so will stick them on if the weather is really terrible.

CobsGalore

Visit site
I gave my native a bib clip last winter and left him naked, he was more than fine and I ended up clipping off more! I just popped a rain sheet on him when it rained or was windy

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Mine started off with a trace clip a couple of weeks ago when it was 23C and I went on a fun ride. It was so warm that even with that, he went out 24/7 unrugged. Even when it was raining, he didn't get cold. Then found he was still too hot after schooling so he had a blanket clip on Monday or Tues and went out in a LW (no fill) rain sheet which he was too hot in. Lesson today, just flatwork, and he was STILL v hot and sweaty everywhere so I took the whole lot off once he'd dried. He is out tonight in the LW without a neck and TBH would probably have been a bit too warm this afternoon in that, as it was 19C here.

So OP, don't panic so much! ;)

xTrooperx

Visit site
Thanks peeps for your comment you have made me feel slightly more at ease and i will buy three weight rain/light/and medium as shouldn't needing more, not combos as someone above mentioned manes, and my girl got a full mane, but buy a neck cover just incase.. with the thinking if more needs to come off so be it, as we only done a hour walking hack and she was hot but fair enough was some killer hills :0).

Miss L Toe

Visit site
When I started with clipping I made sure the horse was free of grease and the blades sharp, I use small clippers [mosel] which would take along time with a full size horse but are quiet and easy to use.
The bits that sweat are under the bridle behind the ears, between legs behind, under the front legs, so i start off with these areas, and if clipping as early as this I will also do the belly and might let it grow in later when it is cold weather. My boy has a hairy jaw, so I clip this underneath, and maybe take a bit off the browband area too, it depends on the weather, it is mild just now so I feel I can clip more and let it grow back in over winter.
I don't pull the mane or use a combo rug, as I feel these are for stabled and clipped out horses which have no natural cover.
For this winter I have an Amigo lite and an Amigo medium weight rug, the lite will be most useful, I could probably manage with only this one.

Last edited: