Dumped Jack Russell Thread - HELP

millimoo

Visit site
So, the dog was finally caught last night and nicknamed Dodger (as in artful) due to his efforts to evade capture... And following an eventful traffic dodging day on an A road 2 miles away.
He stayed with the neighbour last night and was very happy with their other dog, and turns out he's really friendly. However they're not sure whether to give him a home now as they will be getting a 2nd lab in the future.
Im so angry & appalled though, because as well as being neutered, he is also microchipped. The owner was contacted an hour ago, said she sold him in May, and wants nothing to do with him and not to call again!!!!!!!
I cannot believe anyone could do this??? Especially as he's apparently a lovely little dog.
He's safe for now, but we're loathed to hand him to the dog warden. Anyone got any suggestions for rescues/rehoming safely as we want to ensure it's a home for life
I'd have him, but I have cats, and young children who visit regularly so don't want to risk it.
All advise and ideas gratefully received - he's also a good ratter, and has not gone for chickens

Red30563

Visit site
Glad he was finally caught! Poor little pup. He sounds great.

Was the old owner able to give details of who she sold him to?

Perhaps previous owners should be held accountable if they sell a dog and don't take responsibility for changing the details with the microchip company.

krlyr

Visit site
If he is friendly and was sold in May, there's a possibility he may have a loving home missing him desperately. Have you posted his details up on the Doglost website and in local vets, petshops, with the police station, DW, etc? May be worth trying surrounding areas too incase he's travelling further afield. If he's not been in the new home that long, he may have bolted and then lost his bearings.
By law, he has to serve either 7 days with the DW/pound or 28 days with the finder (after logging i with the DW), before he can be rehomed.
It might be worth contacting local rescues to see if they can help with homing - if your neighbour is happy to keep him temporarily, a rescue may be able to home him straight into a new home. Saves clogging up a kennel, unsettling the dog, and then you have the reassurance of knowing the rescue have vetted the home carefully and offered the new owner lifetime support.

millimoo

Visit site
Thanks for all the advise...
Turns out the owner emailed the microchip company back in May and didn't have the new keepers details, and that at the time she didn't want any further correspondence.
It's such a shame, as he's let the finders pick his legs up, check him over, and even offers his paw for a treat, so clearly a lovely little chap.
As for the dog warden, I've told them to get in touch today.
Will suggest the rehoming via a rescue from their house - good idea, and even I'd ge happy to give him a short term home on that basis.
Keep them coming :)

millimoo

Visit site
Oh, and yes, been on Doglost for over 2 weeks with no response - and it's my phone number, so know there's been no calls. However plan to add his photo, as until yesterday no one could get close enough to take one

Ranyhyn

Visit site
:( oh please don't let him go to the pound, I always wonder about the dogs not lucky enough to make it into rescue from there :(
He sounds like a little darling - have you a photo or anything, I can cross post on my FB and see if anyone would like him?

krlyr

Visit site
If you post a photo, try to leave a recognisable marking unphotographed - you can then ask the owner to identify this mark as proof it's their dog, some unscrupulous people will do anything to get a free dog!

Suelin

Visit site
You could do worse than contact the DW. I was one for a number of years and we certainly didn't put healthy dogs down. I would call them and see what their policy is after the 7 day holding period. Glad that you managed to catch him and hope he finds a nice home.

Just to add that the "Oh I sold it whenever and want nothing else to do with it" line is one of the oldest in the book sadly. What they really mean is "I chucked it out because I don't want it and you can't prove I didn't sell it so get on with it" If I had a quid for the number of times I have heard that or similar I would be a wealthy woman. Sad but true.

Last edited:

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Just to add that the "Oh I sold it whenever and want nothing else to do with it" line is one of the oldest in the book sadly. What they really mean is "I chucked it out because I don't want it and you can't prove I didn't sell it so get on with it".

Have to say the 1st thing that came to my mind, was that I bet the old owner, just chucked the poor boy out.:(

Would gladly have him if I was closer, sounds just like my JRT, who always offers a paw for a treat - greedy begger.

millimoo

Visit site
Well I met him tonight and he's an absolute poppet.
He's eating well, and is being taken for a check up at the vets tomorrow just to give him a proper once over.
He's been curling up to sleep with the Labrador he's living with, but also has a very cosy puppy cage with a lovely thick bed which he takes himself off to when he wants time out.
He's fairly quiet, but I'm sure that's the come down after being out for at least 2 weeks in a panic.
I'm shocked that such a lovely dog appears to have been dumped.
He does appear to be nervous of men, but has sniffed and said hello to all the comings and goings at his current (and hopefully permanent) residence. Hes also very attached to his finder, and when she steps out the house he cries a little and tries to find a way out, but very quickly settles - I wonder if this was his problem, as I imagine it could be problematic if neighbours were attached.
Anyhow, I've been surprised at how lovely he is, and he now has 2 further homes on the table if he's not claimed, and the current carers decide they can't keep him. All are excellent homes with true animal lovers, and other dogs.
I'll keep you posted with any developments :)

Kaylum

Visit site
Your lucky we don't have a dog warden any more due to government cuts.

Why didn't the old owner know where she sold him to I wonder.

our last JR was a stray, we had her for 17 years she had been thrown from a car when we found her crying in the street.

millimoo

Visit site
Some people are awful Kaylum, and sadly the lane has become a dumping ground for pets.
We've had a young cat - now lives at my house, lurchers & numerous pet rabbits, which have done surprising well in the wild. Though it's odd to see a White rabbit with brown spots or a brown saddle back hopping round the fields. One of which was seen regularily for 18 months.
It's odd as most of the dumpings happen on the same stretch of road?
I suspect the Jack Russell is deliberately dumped :(
Still, he's safe now whatever the outcome

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I don't think you can blame the current carers for not keeping him. If I had found him I would look after him but would have to find him a home as I would not want to keep long term.
I too would suspect the previous owners have just dumped him, even if they had sold him they obviously don't give a damn, poor little lad.
It might be worth contacting vet practices in the area and see if they recognise him, or if they know of anyone who would consider giving him a home.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I don't think you can blame the current carers for not keeping him. If I had found him I would look after him but would have to find him a home as I would not want to keep long term.

It just seems odd to me as he has settled well in their home and with their dog, and they are planning another dog in the future.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I do see your point, but if they have their heart set on a lab they would possibly regret keeping the JR at some point in the future. My breed is GSDs, always will be as long as I am able to look after them. If I was planning another GSD and only had room for one more dog I would not be swayed by another breed no matter how cute it was.

BBH

Visit site
My Breed is British Bulldogs but if another breed came along needing a home and he / she fitted in I 'd never turn him away.

millimoo

Visit site
I will keep you updated, and the current carers are not ruling him out. It's just difficult as the parents are away, and the eldest daughter is in charge.
They are back tomorrow, and hope to convince dad :)
The other two homes are very good too, one which is outdoorsy and the other with another Jack Russell in the village.
I think he will probably end up staying put, especially as hes so chilled out and not on your face at all.
I will definitely let you know what happens...

millimoo

Visit site
Regards the other dog scenario, the lab they have is a fabulous gundog, and they next one will be by him, and his replacement when he retires - dad thinks animals should have a purpose, although first and foremost he's a large pet to the rest of the family :D
The Jack Russell would be an asset as he's already caught a fat on their yard when on the run :) so hopefully dad will see the value there, plus he's very portable, and would get to go all over the place with mum and finder :)

ladyt25

Visit site
You can't blame the carers if they weren't really keen to keep him long-term. They've done a good job taking him in but at the end of the day if that's not the dog they would choose then why should be made to feel bad if they can't keep him? All dogs cost money to keep after all.

A few years back we drove down our track to be met by a very scared little blackand white dog with an injured leg. Never seen it before so could only assume it had been dumped on the country lane our track comes off. We managed to coax him to us and we did take him back to ours but our other male dog can be a bit arsey with other boy dogs so it wasn't ideal for us to keep him, although I am sure we could have settled him in.However, 3 dogs would have probably been too much at the time for my parents to look after.

Another neighbour took him for a while but eventually we rehomed him to another neighbour and he's been there ever since. You do what you can in these circumstances really.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
What about West Yorkshire Dog Rescue? (Assuming your sig is correct). They put dogs in foster homes, never kennels, until they are rescued. He could perhaps stay at your friend's house until a home is found...

Did the previous owner who sold him manage to give you any details of the person she sold it to? I bet she didn't. I would ring again and tell her the RSPCA are thinking of prosecuting her unless she can give a name. Let her sweat a bit. I bet she dumped him.

My OH wouldn't have a JRT either, but if one appeared and we rescued it, he may be persuaded. Hopefully her dad would be charmed. You'll have to introduce a plague of rats!

millimoo

Visit site
Well he's still with the carers.
Parents are home, and have reservations, but he's still there and they haven't said a flat no.
If they don't decide to keep him, he doesnt need to go to a rescue as there are 2 other suitable and good homes on the table who'd love to have him.
Still no further forward with locating the existing owner either.

HappyHooves

Visit site
JRTs are a strange lot and quite different from other dogs. Although adorable please be sure that the prospective new home knows that terriers are not biddable in the way that labs are and they have a natural attack tendency towards all things small and furry and will disappear down the nearest rabbit hole at the drop of a hat. They were bred to deal with rats and rabbits and that is why they are as they are. I have had 3, along with labs, and collies and various crosses, and they are so very different from other breeds. The second one I rescued from
http://www.rescueremedies.co.uk/
who would gladly help I'm sure, and for many of their terriers they will only let them go to terrier savvy homes.

millimoo

Visit site
I don't think he's much prey drive to be honest...
I advised the carer to read up on Jacks when they first caught him so she can understand him better.
He's been let off in the garden and he's stuck with them, plus they have their own land at home.
He's been loose around the free range chickens and ducks at out house and theirs and hasn't gone near them - and they are truly free to roam everywhere.
The other home on offer already have a Jack Russell.
Ultimately they will do what's best for the dog, and I can assure you his future is secure no matter which home he ends up in.