Dunoon: anyone live in this area?

PaulineW

Visit site
Potentially moving to this area with OH ‘s work, so looking at equestrian options nearby. I only have my little Shetland gelding and donkey mare, so a yard is not essential.

Also looking for advice on residential areas to avoid, if any, as initially will be looking at renting a house or flat. Thanks.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
It ll feel like the end of the world according to my good friend who was born there. Lol. I have visited a couple of times and it is a bit run down down now…I love getting the ferry but when it can’t run the drive to Glasgow is two hours on winding roads. I’d stay on the south side but obviously it will be more expensive. Definitely go for a visit to help you decide.

Lynnfigaro

Visit site
I think I would avoid Dunoon as it is a bit run down now. Innellan or Sandbank are nice. You would require the ferry to get to them and it is a bit of a drive once you embark.
What about Gourock or Skelmorlie which are on the other side of the water and will give you more options for livery.

PaulineW

Visit site
Thanks both. I visited Dunoon many years ago, and recall it looking tired. OH job would be in Dunoon with unsociable hours, so we may want to avoid anywhere that relies on the ferry. Certainly would consider out of town though.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Not really the advice that you're looking for but buy your ferry tickets in advance (it's more than double if you buy on the ferry!) and enjoy all the local walks - there are some stunning walks over there. Benmore Botanic Gardens are also lovely.

wills_91

Visit site
Potentially moving to this area with OH ‘s work, so looking at equestrian options nearby. I only have my little Shetland gelding and donkey mare, so a yard is not essential.

Also looking for advice on residential areas to avoid, if any, as initially will be looking at renting a house or flat. Thanks.

Me literally my home town! You'll struggle to find somewhere to rent right now I would imagine and trying to find grazing is also a nightmare.

Im not sure why people are so vexed on the ferry? The western runs a great service and is rarely off. Its about 1.30 to drive to Glasgow by road. The majority of Dunoon its self is fine, bits of Sandbank are nice, hunters Quay and Innellan down to Toward, Strachur etc also nice. If you do move feel free to drop me a pm if I can help in anyway with contact for farrier/vet/feed etc

Last edited:

PaulineW

Visit site
Me literally my home town! You'll struggle to find somewhere to rent right now I would imagine and trying to find grazing is also a nightmare.

Im not sure why people are so vexed on the ferry? The western runs a great service and is rarely off. Its about 1.30 to drive to Glasgow by road. The majority of Dunoon its self is fine, bits of Sandbank are nice, hunters Quay and Innellan down to Toward, Strachur etc also nice. If you do move feel free to drop me a pm if I can help in anyway with contact for farrier/vet/feed etc
Hello, revisiting this as it looks more likely to be happening. Do you know of any estate agents or Facebook groups worth following please? Concentrating on housing before I worry about the ponies.

wills_91

Visit site
Are you still looking to rent?

FB Argyll Letting - worth giving them a call and tell them what you are looking for. Weebay Dunoon might be worth posting on there to see if anyone has any property coming up.

Waterside Proeprty, Scottish property Centre, Dunoon property if your thinking of buying, Robbie residential also sell a few over here.

wills_91

Visit site
Can I ask what industry your OH is going to be working in, I'm assuming as it's unsociable others either health/social care or police? If so there is a lot in both sectors who travel across the Gourock side and that will certainly open up your options for the horses.

PaulineW

Visit site
Can I ask what industry your OH is going to be working in, I'm assuming as it's unsociable others either health/social care or police? If so there is a lot in both sectors who travel across the Gourock side and that will certainly open up your options for the horses.
Hi, thanks for the agency names. Commercially sensitive so can’t say too much, but long hours involved, hence concerns about relying on ferry. It certainly would help in terms of housing, I’m sure. I work from home so am more flexible in terms of where ponies are. Thanks again.

wills_91

Visit site
I think at the moment the only place you are likely to get grazing would be Inverary, i work alongside someone who moved to the area recently and hasn't been able to source any local grazing. I am keeping an eye out for her so will let you know if I see anything coming up. Good luck ?

wills_91

Visit site
Moving in early December and struggling to find any form of grazing. I’m only taking my Shetland now. Wills, does your friends name start with J?

No, but if they have a Welsh pony then I know who they are through mutual connections, so couldn't vouch for her personally but seems to be a nice enough girl.