Dust free bedding pellets???

Monkers

Visit site
Hi all,

Just thinking ahead to the summer.....!

I have been using Liverpool wood pellets for two horses for a couple of years. I love them, they work really well for me and would stick with them, BUT they are so dusty in the summer. Both horses are quite clean and I throw very little bedding away, which means it breaks down and becomes ridiculously dusty. I have hosed the bedding daily, but it's still bad enough to be a health issue for the horses.
I'm thinking of changing to straw pellets as another person on my yard uses them and thinks they are less dusty.
I have also had the same issue with Verdo, so I think wood pellets in general are a no go for me, at least in the summer.
Any dust free pellets out there?
Thanks!

xgemmax

Visit site
I have the premium plus pellets from white horse energy and have the same problem in summer, very dusty!! In winter they're great as stay damp. I found tehy weren't too bad if i tried to disturb the bed as little as possible and when taking the wee out i mixed a little back in with the clean bed, didn't go dirty coloured but kept it slightly damper

Orangehorse

Visit site
I head of someone who buys woodpellets for BioMass boilers. They have to buy quite a lot at a time but they said they are massively cheaper than products for horses, but theyare the same pellets.

_GG_

Visit site
I use the Premuim Plus by White Horse Energy, used to get the same product from Five Star Bedding before it sadly had to close.

Yes, in the summer, any pellet bed can get dusty, you can either mix in the wet bed or part of it, or just give it a spray with the hose from time to time, which is what I prefer to do. It doesn't need much, just a little spray, more to get moisture in the air than to actually wet the bed. Works perfectly for me and keeps the wet beddin undisturbed until I am ready to take it out.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Hi they are not the same, wood fuel pellets are very slippery for horses as do not expand like the horsebedding pellets

Well mine expand just the same as the horse bedding version and aren't slippery.

OP I use pellets as a base to soak up urine but have miscanthus on top if that might be an option for you? My mum does the same with straw on top, and others on the yard use bliss.