Dusty hairy dog?!

emma21

Visit site
My old English x german shepherd is 10 months and verrry fluffy. He's also very big; about 40kg. Anyway at the moment he gets quite muddy on walks (he has very hairy legs bless him!) but when we get in he stays in the tiled hallway on a blanket until he's dry and then he comes in to the rest of the house etc. The problem is the dust/dry mud that comes off of him. He then plays with my other puppy and it's like an actual dust cloud, I brush him most days but he's still really dusty when he plays.

Does anyone else have this problem/ know how to make it even slightly better?! It's really bad!!

Here's the hairy boy himself;
a134ad45.jpg

Vizslak

Visit site
I love him, hes fab! You could clip him? Or mane and tail conditioner/coat conditioner is meant to help stop mud sticking to long coats?

lexiedhb

Visit site
My OH's mother has a long haired JRT. We looked after her for about three months.... the only way to stop the muddy dust is to wash off the mud before it dries- pain in the butt, more so with your dog (GORGEOUS), as he is bigger, I could just dunk her in a washing up bowl!!!

If allowed to dry she used to then clean her paws/legs/belly of the dried mud and leave piles of it all over the place. V annoying!!

emma21

Visit site
I love him, hes fab! You could clip him? Or mane and tail conditioner/coat conditioner is meant to help stop mud sticking to long coats?

I have considered clipping him but i love his hairyness :p I will try the mane/tail conditioner on him and see if it helps. Bless him lol.

Red30563 - Thank yooou! i love him but i am quite biased...!! He has the most amazing temperment ever!

lexiedhb - Tried washing him, but takes sooo long then i just have a wet smelly dog! It also takes him hours to dry so doesnt work very well :( Thank you though he went to the groomers the other week and looked AMAZING afterwards but it lasts about an hour :rolleyes: