Dutch gag- two reins???

christian

RaThEr-bE-RiDiN0610.bebo.com
Hi!!

Off to PC camp tomorow and owner of horse i am taking has ordered two bits of ebay after doing some experimenting so we bought the waterford fulmer and that is what shes goes best in generally but we decided hunting i needed something with more brakes! so got a waterford dutch gag. He has given me two reins so i presume he wants me to use both (was thinking about doing XC in it at camp) but how exactly are you supposed to use these bits as i always thought you should use two reins, with one on the snaffle ring and one on the bottom, or with roundings, but i see people increasingy using just the one rein, what is correct??

also if i'm using two reins, and one is plaited and one isnt, which one goes on top? if it matters, and if i'm using a martingale, does that go on the top or bottom rein??

thanks in advance!!

JM7

Visit site
they should be used with two reins...plus a leather strap as a curb....

this is the correct way to use a dutch gag...not just put on a bridle and a single rein attached...it's of no use what-so-ever if used in this way....

flyingfeet

Visit site
You can use a gag either way - depending on how your horse likes it.

I would use two reins to start with - snaffle & bottom ring. Use your most grippy rein on the snaffle rein as this is where you will require most grip.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Have only ever been out hunting in one rein with dutch once, it is correct to use two, and works much better. I think that way you can use the happy medium with it, great for hunting because on roads, between stretches you can rely on the snaffle rein, using the bottom one only when needed.

serena2005

Visit site
why does it work better with 2 reins? we have a dutch gag on one of the bridles for our cob and we have only ever used one rein... no-one ever told me!

helenandshadow

Visit site
You can use one or two reins, i only use one but it's more correct to use two.
Plaited rein should go on the snaffle ring. Martingale goes on the snaffle rein.

Frazer

Visit site
You can use it with two or one, it is more correct to use two however only the more experince rider should use two. One is easier and normally works just as well. I always ride with two or with a dutch gag.

RobinHood

Visit site
Just a note about the running martingale, the 'correct' way is to put the martingale on the lower reins because a curb has a head lowering action whereas the snaffle has a head rasing action the same as a double bridle. Personally I would put the martingale on the snaffle rein but just though I'd write this as a point of interest.

HoneyvalesHorses

Visit site
yeah you can use it with one or two but if you want the effect of two but can't manage both the reins you could use roundings
smile.gif

FRESHMAN

www.northcotestud.com
Sarahw please dont take offence but I have to say this. Whilst I applaud the fact that you are at least asking questions because you want to get it right, do you not feel that perhaps if your knowledge of these bits is limited, you might consider not using them yet. Especially going away to PC camp. I do think that bits should be bought for a particular reason & suitable to both horse & rider. I think it would be best if you tried them first at home with an instructor present. That way you will be able to assess whether it is in fact the right bit for both yourself & your horse/pony.