Dutch gag

JessPickle

Visit site
I am going to get pickle a waterford dutch gag as he gets very strong hacking when he is kept in, in the winter. So what is the correct way of fitting it (pictures would help) I would like to ride with one rein as I get very muddled hacking with two

rrose

Visit site
bit06s-1.jpg

i ride with one rein on the second ring...

how do you want your rein, are you having it on the second ring or would you like it on both top and bottom?

Oaksflight

Visit site
You can ride it in one rein, or with two (two being correct). The lower ring you attach it to, the 'stronger' it is. You can use roundings with it, however many people don't like using roundings on dutch gags.

rrose

Visit site
yeh, i only found that out last month when someone said, but they dont sell them with them. which i think they should.

i would never use the 3rd ring on its own.

Oaksflight

Visit site
Yup, very similar to pelham. Not a fan of dutch gags though, mine has absolutely no bend in it. Completely evades the bit. Saying that, I've never tried him in it with two reins, which I'm intending to do, however I doubt it'll help much as doesn't even behave as he does with his snaffle when its on snaffle ring. Not quite sure whether I prefer having no breaks, or no bend.
confused.gif
grin.gif

Oaksflight

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
you need to get a leather strap to be put on and fitted as a high curb...it is to be fitted to the ring that the cheekpiece is also attacthed to, and be able to fit 2 fingers into, then it should be ridden in either roundings (IMHO lazy!!) or 2 reins.....

that is how to fit and use.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that help with steering do you think? I imagine it would...

JessPickle

Visit site
Ok will order a curb strap as well then, I want to get this right determined to get this fitted correctly (apart from the two reins sorry I just find them very hard to get used to)