Dutch Rescued horses to be slaughtered!!

gailt

Visit site
I read on another form, that these horses are to be slaughtered in the next couple of days as they were bred for meat...Is there any dutch visiters that can confirm this? What a shame there were some stunning horses there,, some looked really good breeding...Has anyone got any jounalist contacts, if it got on TV these horses were for meat there might be a big enough outcry to stop it...
frown.gif

tigers_eye

Visit site
Why should there be? This is one of the few countries that doesn't breed for meat and I think that it creates a huge welfare issue. By not having a standard meat price sub-standard horses simply end up in totally unsuitable homes or burdening charities.

Henmen

Visit site
Sorry, but again, why should we stop it?? Its what would have happened if ITV didnt pick the story up. Are you going to take on the 18 horses??

spaniel

Visit site
What on earth do you think this guy had all these horses for? Horsemeat is a commodity on the continent, at least these horses have been well looked after and will be slaughtered close to home.

And yes it happens here too although Im sure most people dont know about it.

airedale

Visit site
yep - dutch love horsemeat
if you ever goto holland don't eat Bifteak unless you are happy to eat horse...

I choose not to knowingly eat horse - but then when abroad you just don't know - lots of the 'lamb' in Greece is actually Goat !!!

realistically - I accept that horses are eaten in some countries - I just happen to not actually like the countries concerned much

filly190

Visit site
I think people are missing your point, the whole world has watched the plight of these horses and their brave rescue. It has touched all of our hearts and to know learn their next destination is very saddening.

I personally find horse meat utterly distasteful and yes, turn a blind eye to what happens in the world.

happyhack

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but again, why should we stop it?? Its what would have happened if ITV didnt pick the story up. Are you going to take on the 18 horses??

[/ QUOTE ]

A comment like that is totally unnecessary-The person who listed the post is just concerned for the horses and wants the facts-comments like the one above are uncalled for adn having been on the recieving end of them can make the person feel a bit uncomfortable.

I am not trying to stir up trouble, i just dont like posts like that

tigers_eye

Visit site
Look at it like this: if it had been the same number of beef cattle who had been rescued in the same situation, would we have been so upset if we had heard the (unsurprising) news that they were to be slaughtered soon?

Henmen

Visit site
So if she/he is THAT concerned, i assume she going to ship them over here and care for them??
Sorry, was going to put something but TBH i cant be arsed.

Why is it nearly always that avatar that start things? Anyone else noticed that??

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
I dont like comments like that but on the other hand this is a forum for discussion.

As much as we dont want our beloved horse for dinner, lots of countries see horses and indeed most pets, no differently from how we see cows and sheep (as a rule I know I am generalising!).

We are a nation of softies and there is nothing wrong with that, but we cannot "save" everything in this world. Because of their plight these horses bred for meat cannot suddenly become pets, they wont have been handled as pets or brought up like that at all.

We have to accept that horses like other animals get eaten sometimes. Personally I dont like the texture or taste but we cannot condone everyone else that does.

the watcher

Visit site
Sad, but no surprise, horse meat is a much bigger industry on the continent than most in the UK realise. No value in stopping the inevitable, and there is not the same setup on the continent to house unwanted horses.

Alibear

Visit site
I don't mind the meat trade just not something I'd ever choose to consume.

But I do get that it's rather sad that withing a few short days of this dramatic rescue they're going to be destroyed.

A lot of me hopes the whole herd isn't and that the foals at least will get to have a few more happy days first.

Then there's the fact that they're possibly being slaughtered sooner than planned so the farmer can pay the fine for his negligence in the first place , can any one say Ironic!

Fine the man for cruelty/neglet and force him to slaughter early.

rema

Visit site
It is very sad that these horses went on to survive the floods and should probably deserve to go and live a very long and peacefull life but at the end of the day and the bottom line is Meat is meat whether it be beef,lamb,pork or horse!!.

riotgirl

Visit site
Totally going off the point, but does horse meat have another name? What I mean is - Pig becomes pork, Cow becomes beef, sheep becomes well, Lamb! Just pondering now...

happyhack

Visit site
I understand that horse slaughter is a fact of life and i would not choose to eat it myself either. I just disagree with some peoples comments.

I dont understand why some people feel the need to do that. As you say this is an open forum with lots of good discussions but pointless comments like that can upset people.

Sometimes on here it seems that people feel the need to dictate another persons feelings and opinions to them!! Thats not fair

Faithkat

Visit site
It's one of the reasons that there are so many horses to choose from if people go abroad to buy! British breeders keep trying to hammer this message home but seem to be banging their heads against a brick wall. We have to breed QUALITY not quantity as we don't have the horsemeat market to fall back on.

Tia

Visit site
It is a shame to hear this however these horses are there being raised for meat and there are another hundred around the corner awaiting the same fate.

gailt

Visit site
Whats that post supposed to mean...I posted this thread because i am a horse/animal lover and it touched my heart to see their distress and call me soppy but it bought a tear to my eye when i saw the clip of them being rescued...If i had the money and the experience to deal with it i would, just like i have given to and helped many charities...Just because i am not a lottery winner doesnt mean i cannot care...or be concerned...what an immature post to state if im that concerned i should ship them over here and if i dont ship them over here i dont care......

I am well aware of the meat situation abroad but why should that stop me from caring! I loves horses/ all horses...not just the ones that look good cost thousands and that dont end up in a tin or on a plate...sorry but that is really shallow...tell you what lets not be humanitarian about anything and not bother even trying to help cos we carnt be arsed...how sad the world would be then, but if you think just because people dont have the power to do anything they shouldnt care...well your very much mistaken...

I dont know if the avatar post was aimed at me..if it was can you explain yourself as i dont recall ever posting a heated thread before..

I am very new to this site, a few of friends said not to bother as there is never any discussion its just a few self rightous people who dictate what should be said or discussed..sorry but that defeats the object of a forum and i wont be made to feel like an idiot for caring!..ive also had some grat advice so there is some decent people on here .im a she by the way!

im not going to go on cos im better than that...
For the civil people out there sorry about the tantrum..
blush.gif

Malibu

Visit site
I think it is very ironic and sad that the horses can survive (well all but 18) such a awful disaster but they are soon to be killed for the consumption of those who may have even helped them survive.
Its weird how people decide what can be killed for meat, leather for bags etc and what cannot. what makes it ok to eat cows as we do but not horses, or its ok to eat chicken but not dogs. Now before there is an outrage i do not support eating horses, dogs cats etc!!!
Its just surley if you eat beef, lamb then i want to know why you wont eat horse meat; is it because you are familiar with the animal or see it more able to bond with people than cows?

i think it is awful if the horses are to be killed for meat- they were not even cared for well! Although some say turn a blind eye - i dont think that is the way to think, if we were to all think like that, the world would be even worse with far more disasters and deaths if possible!

spaniel

Visit site
Im not sure what leads you to say these horses arent well cared for, ok they were caught in the floods but there may have been good reasons why they hadnt been moved (which Im sure will or wont come out at a later date).

Setting that aside, meat is paid out on an weight basis so its in the interest of the producer to have as healthy and well fed a carcass as possible to maximise profits and indeed there are people here in the UK who will buy in animals purely to fatten them for sale as deadstock by weight.

Im sorry if people find this distressing or unpalatable but its the way it is. As a previous poster has already said, wheres the difference to cattle, sheep and pigs?