Dye for white patch (scar) on chestnut horse?

rubyrumba

Visit site
Should i use human hair dye? If so, do people dye their hair ginger???
She has quite a large white patch, just a bit bigger than a 50p just above her point of hock from bandages rubbing her after surgery. I want to dye it for showing purposes!

This is her so you can see what shade of chestnut she is, can't imagine anyone would dye their hair that colour!

Last edited:

dan5522

Visit site
When I showed at national level we just used mascara to cover up any white bits,. I was showing a chesnut who had two coloured parents , he had a tiny wisp if white hair above his withers...not a saddle sore owner had him from 18 months .... we just put the mascara through it and you couldnt tell... i also did this with my hunter as he has a scar that has grown white and you honestly couldnt tell!!!!

Brandy

Visit site
Beware the human hair dye!! I used it once on a pony that developed a couple of white spots, also for showing purposes. It turned green and also became inflamed. L'oreal btw.

JenHunt

Visit site
Look up Henna Hair Dye on tinterweb. I jus tpicked the first link I found, and got this http://www.fairganic.co.uk/index.php?cPath=221&gclid=COnHmY6UsaICFUJx5QodK1kqRA

I used to get it from the Body Shop but they dont do it anymore.

It's a herbal dye and totally natural. You can get it for several colours from orange through to quite dark brown. Get a couple that are about right and try them on very small patches to test the colour.

you just mix the powder with warm water (or hot and let it cool a bit) and paste it on. leave it for a while then wash off.

rubyrumba

Visit site
Look up Henna Hair Dye on tinterweb. I jus tpicked the first link I found, and got this http://www.fairganic.co.uk/index.php?cPath=221&gclid=COnHmY6UsaICFUJx5QodK1kqRA

I used to get it from the Body Shop but they dont do it anymore.

It's a herbal dye and totally natural. You can get it for several colours from orange through to quite dark brown. Get a couple that are about right and try them on very small patches to test the colour.

you just mix the powder with warm water (or hot and let it cool a bit) and paste it on. leave it for a while then wash off.

There a quite a few colours to choose from there, help!

rubyrumba

Visit site
Yes i also saw that i used something from them for my other horse when he had fur missing, might give them a ring, they were very helpful.