Dyspraxic Riders?

Fransurrey

Visit site
I forgot about the ambidextrous bit! However, when I broke my arm, that came in very useful and people were impressed with my left hand writing and the way I could do everything, still!

As for being clumsy and laughing it off, yes of course have a laugh about it. My Mum also suffers and she once walked into a glass door (dyspraxics can have trouble with perception) and I couldn't help her for laughing. She swore at the time, but was laughing within a couple of mins. You have to laugh!

By all means tell your tutor, as they can give special considerations. You don't have to take them, just make her aware and then if you do need anything, it's all in place.

Riverboy

Visit site
I actually find it helps to make a joke of it - I am open and honest about it but not in a woe is me way - in a 'well you know - I am not drunk just dyspraxic hence why I just tripped over my feet' etc. I share funny ancidotes about the stupid things I've done etc. It makes people feel less awkward about it, and me.

It can be quite funny - like when I've missed my mouth with a spoon when eating a yogurt... if I didn't laugh I would cry. I also try to educate people -then if they meet someone else hopefully they will understand!

We're a funny old household though as my OH has autism and aspergers -we definately shouldn't be allowed to breed! :)

x

Puzzles

Visit site
Laughing it off sounds like the way to go! :) It's what I usually do anyway because what else can you do when you're ridiculously clumsy! :rolleyes: I know what you mean Riverboy about laughing or you'd just cry!

Thanks again for your thoughts :) will let you know how the diagnosis goes (when it finally happens- these things take flipping ages!)

sakura

Visit site
yes I'm dyspraxic!

I've not read all the replies (I don't have the attention :eek:) the thing I struggle with most from a riding/training perspective is lunging cos I get the line so tangled it's unreal, fortunately I have a very tolerant horse!

sakura

Visit site
I know when I first discovered I had it I didn't think many others did cos I'd never heard of it myself, but actually I know quite a few!

I also struggle with my left/right, all fine motor skills (especially scissors and cutlery), can't hit a ball to save my life, have zero focus, can't handle manual cars and will walk into anything - so pretty standard dyspraxia

It doesn't really bother me anymore, it was just nice at the time to have a reason behind it as I'd always just assumed I was insanely clumsy lol

china

Visit site
Where on earth do they use tests like this for some sort of diagnostic criteria?

there are many practitioners around the country that may use it. It does not diagnose anything, but it gives a probability towards retained reflexes which adds to a probability of a diagnoses.

Puddock

Visit site
I've read this thread with interest and it's left me wondering if it's possible to be mildly dyspraxic? I've been wondering if I am for a while...

As a kid, I did very well at school, but my handwriting was atrocious (sure they had hopes I would become a doctor, lol). I remember having to go to special handwriting lessons. I was very clumsy (obviously still am) and fell over all the time. I'm not truely ambidextrous, but apparently when learning to write I didn't favour either hand for a long while. I also needed speech therapy as a very young child (no idea if that's a symptom of dyspraxia or not). Now I seem to spend my time walking into doors and dropping things. I have a fairly demanding job, but my concentration and memory skills can be severely lacking at times. I am also completely unable to be punctual for anything, but that may just be me!

Riding-wise, I'm lucky that my horse is fairly tolerant (most of the time), but I fell off loads as a kid - I think learning to canter took considerably longer than it should. Now, I just struggle with aspects of my position and keeping my legs under control, but I at least seem to have developed enough muscle memory after 20-odd years in the saddle to stay on most of the time!

I just can't decide of it's worth going to the docs and asking about all of this or not :confused:

Puzzles

Visit site
Puddock - I only came up as mild on the screening (except for coordination and organisation, which was severe). It does sound like you have at least several of the symptoms of dyspraxia - there were many things associated with it that I wasn't aware were part of the condition (like concentration, study skills, attention and organisation). Definitely sounds worth having a google and seeing your Dr about it. :) If anything, for peace of mind.
Bettboo - not yet I've been trawling through all of the products on the website though and think I'm going to ask for one as a birthday present.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Well I'm not sure it's worth you going for a diagnosis but the answer to your question is 'yes, it is possible'. Dyspraxia, like dyslexia and autism is a contiuum, with a number of symptoms presenting in differing degrees. Speech difficulties can be one symptom of dyspraxia, did the therapist have you blowing through straws etc? I am qualified to diagnose dyslexia but not dyspraxia but certainly the symptoms you describe sound like dyspraxia to me. I'm not sure what benefit a diagnosis would be though, for an adult with a good job, as treatment is rarely available unless you are able to pay for private therapy. You might find that coloured glasses help, you could experiment with different coloured sunglasses before going to the considerable expense of formal testing.

Ladydragon

Visit site
there are many practitioners around the country that may use it. It does not diagnose anything, but it gives a probability towards retained reflexes which adds to a probability of a diagnoses.

Personally, I'd have a pretty big issue with the ethics of using a 'test' that indicates a 'probability' for diagnosis if it scares a child and makes them cry...

...you spin them round on the chair reeaally slowly and if they have a retained relfex they absolutley hate it, if they are a young child they generally cry!

I'm absolutely gobsmacked that anyone would find that an acceptable method for testing children or that any responsible ethics committee would pass it...

Practitioners of what?

welsh horse rider

Visit site
I've never been diagnosed but always had a problem with my left and right.
my concerntration has always been a issue....... my folks always said i had the best intentions but never completed a job i started......

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
Bettboo - not yet I've been trawling through all of the products on the website though and think I'm going to ask for one as a birthday present.

You shouldn't have to pay for anything if you're in full time education, or at uni/ college. See what your Learning Education Authority will offer you first- then see what else you would like.

Fransurrey

Visit site
It can be quite funny - like when I've missed my mouth with a spoon when eating a yogurt... if I didn't laugh I would cry. I also try to educate people -then if they meet someone else hopefully they will understand!

With me it's drinks. Much to the amusement of everyone else!! :D

the thing I struggle with most from a riding/training perspective is lunging cos I get the line so tangled it's unreal, fortunately I have a very tolerant horse!

God yes, I even tried different coloured long reins, but still made a complete hash of it. Henry just gives up and comes in to me with a pitiful look. Poor lad.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
I'm absolutely gobsmacked that anyone would find that an acceptable method for testing children or that any responsible ethics committee would pass it...

Practitioners of what?

The children aren't spun at speed like a fair ground ride for 20 mins! It's 3 or 4 slow turns of the chair!

Some people use old fashioned rocking horses to check for this- especially with a young child (3-6 yrs). Children don't have the vocabulary to assert what they are feeling so practicle tests are the only means. It's even more difficult as you are testing for a physical reaction to life- If you don't cause harm then there's no problem in it!

JessPickle

Visit site
I am dyspraxic, I now type my exams which has made life a lot easier and boosted my marks :)

Riding wise I'm unusual in that I do know my left/right very clearly! However I do have real coordination issues, like when I was given crutches when I hurt my ankle I could not ever master how to use them! Also I use coloured reading rulers which really help me concentrate when reading, this is more of a dyslexic tendency though.

I'm also surprised to see how many people have dyspraxia on here :)

Ladydragon

Visit site
The children aren't spun at speed like a fair ground ride for 20 mins! It's 3 or 4 slow turns of the chair!

Some people use old fashioned rocking horses to check for this- especially with a young child (3-6 yrs). Children don't have the vocabulary to assert what they are feeling so practicle tests are the only means. It's even more difficult as you are testing for a physical reaction to life- If you don't cause harm then there's no problem in it!

The speed is totally irrelevant... The aim appears to be to find out whether a child dislikes the movement and will (sometimes) consequently cry... That makes harm a debatable question even considering brevity... Children do pretty well with explanations unless you are talking tiny tots or those with speech delays/language deficits...

I had one child who was tested/diagnosed with dyspraxia and another lightly tested as he has significant dyslexia... I've still not heard of testing by deliberately generating tears/fear...

Hence me still wondering which practitioners and of what?

Puzzles

Visit site
You shouldn't have to pay for anything if you're in full time education, or at uni/ college. See what your Learning Education Authority will offer you first- then see what else you would like.

Oh right! That's a fair point, will see what the uni say. Have just received my diagnosis date (a month away) and consultation with the Learning & Disability centre (2 months away) which seems like ages but is pretty quick I suppose, since being referred via your doctor can take around 9 months apparently. Great to hear that a Tangle could be free though!

What's difference between dyslexia and dyspraxia? I have left right problems and have really bad memory black outs, for instance forgetting what a douvet is called or my teams names at work. Am dyslexic but don't know more than that. Best wishes, Hannah

Veyr basically:

Dyrpraxia - coordination (espec hand to eye) and balance problems, messy eater, awkward getting dressed, awful handwriting, ambidextrous, clumsy, confusion with lefts and right.

Dyslexia: Difficulty reading, spelling and writing, possibly including maths and music.

There are many similarities, like poor attention span and concentration, and difficulty following instructions.

Hope this helps a wee bit :)

arcorns

New User
Visit site
Puzzles,
I was diagnosed as mildly dyslexic and dyspraxic when studying for my Ph.D at the age of 46. I took up riding at the age of 50. I had lots of the symptoms other people describe, terrible problems with left and right. Took ages to learn to drive, never have mastered reverse parking, clumsy, forgetful and a tendency to write sentences back to front. The last being what my Ph.D supervisor spotted. I did well academically at school and now work as a university lecturer, but all through my school career I was told off for rushing my work and being careless. I always tell my students that I am dyslexic and that if they spot mistakes in timetables (I am terrible with dates) to tell me.

I didn't want to be labelled so I didn't declare my dyslexia when I submitted by thesis but I did have the whole thing proof read before submission. In riding which I didn't take up till I was 50 I do fairly frequently have the experience in lessons that the horse wants to go one way and me another & the horse is usually right! I think riding is helpful it teaches body awareness and though it may take longer to master a particular movement once there it's usually OK. I am very much a novice and at the moment I am having lessons on a relatively unschooled cob which is very good for me because he really makes me think about what we are doing. We're learning to do a turn on the forehand at the moment which is a real left right challenge.

When I was first diagnosed somebody told me that it's not a learning disability it's a learning characteristic and I think that's correct. We learn differently but just as well as anyone else.

Good Luck
ARC

Onyxia

Visit site
What ever you do, do not use this as a means of 'Labelling' yourself. You are so much more than any diagnosis!

If you have made it this far in life then all you need do is accept you have different methods to do some things and move on.

Could not agree more.
My son(age 7) is autistic and dyspraxic , both conditions make it harder for him to do what his friends do but with a little thought and help, do not prevent him doing well in class or sport.
I do feel it is sad that he has to work that much harder, but thats life.

We still do not get left and right and if I forget to put a hand on the correct shoulder when asking for a turn he nearly always goes the wrong way :eek: Nearly walked into a very busy road a few days ago because I asked to turn left but forgot to put a hand on his shoulder to indicate which was left!
Different colour gloves are awesome for helping that.

He is also very weak in the muscles for his level of fitness, we went to the GP for an asthma assessment last year because he just cant keep up with his friends running about and is always out of breath first- turns out his lungs function better that you would expect and his fitness is A1,he is just finding it that bit harder to move himself around.

Mealtimes are great fun, he now put an adult portion on his plate to allow for the amount that will end up on the floor :eek: :D Handwriting is either good but gives him very stiff and sore hands after a line or two or the spider writing that you cant read, he is also ambidextrous- he does not make it easy for himself by insisting to use his right as his friends do when it is easier for him to use his left. Both hands are OK, but the left is slightly better in spite of lots of extra help with his handwriting at home and school.
He uses left handed scissors though :rolleyes:

He is only just learning to do shoelaces going to be a long process) and do buttons and zips(getting there......slowly :p ).

I also agree humour is best, its laugh or cry and crying helps no one ;) One of the physio (sp?) ladies also told us to get him to clap when he drops a ball as it will increase the proprioceptive feedback making it easier to catch next time as well as limiting the embarisment felt for getting it wrong.

Thankyou very much for the Tangles Ladies, one of the big issues ATM is a complete inability to concentrate without needing to fidjit and fiddle, will buy one and report back if it helps.

sakura

Visit site
God yes, I even tried different coloured long reins, but still made a complete hash of it. Henry just gives up and comes in to me with a pitiful look. Poor lad.

I never thought of changing the colours, probably wouldn't have much of a difference though! I also really struggle with distances, like even putting a placing pole out will take me forever and then I'll probably get it wrong anyway even though I know the distances - don't even ask me to set out a grid lol walking a course is interesting, I have to take someone else with me to basically translate it, or, just to tell me I have got it right etc :eek:

I went almost 20 years without knowing I actually had anything, so it doesn't define me or hold me back at all. I still can't eat properly in that cutlerys an issue - I never learnt to eat with the "right" hands and tend to favour the fork over a knife - my friends and family find it quite entertaining, especially when I order steak :D I'm the same with scissors

I have some great footage somewhere of a family holiday when I was about 6, my sister drew the short straw in playing swing ball with me - she's whacking it and I'm just standing there continually missing it time and time and time again hahaa

Tnavas

Visit site
My friends grand daughter was diagnosed with Dispraxia at around 5½. Her school had been concerned about the poor way she talked, words came out improperly formed. It was impossible to understand what she was saying, especially when she was excited.

I remember my friend saying something about the birth being difficult but one of the questions they were asked was did the child crawl as a baby - turned out she didn't and had gone from lying around to walking without the crawling stage.

One of the first therapy sessions was to teach her to crawl. Speach lessons and a pony have helped considerably. The pony most of all - this little person won her rider class recently at an A & P show (County Show).

Her speach is vastly improved and her texterity too.

Puzzles

Visit site
When I was first diagnosed somebody told me that it's not a learning disability it's a learning characteristic and I think that's correct. We learn differently but just as well as anyone else.

Good Luck
ARC

Thanks ARC! That is a particularly true statement ... in a way, it's just a different method of learning and interacting with the environment.

I also really struggle with distances, like even putting a placing pole out will take me forever and then I'll probably get it wrong anyway even though I know the distances - don't even ask me to set out a grid lol walking a course is interesting, I have to take someone else with me to basically translate it, or, just to tell me I have got it right etc :eek:

I went almost 20 years without knowing I actually had anything, so it doesn't define me or hold me back at all. I still can't eat properly in that cutlerys an issue - I never learnt to eat with the "right" hands and tend to favour the fork over a knife - my friends and family find it quite entertaining, especially when I order steak :D I'm the same with scissors.

That's me too to a T, re. the cutlery! I also really struggle ith distances into jumps and really struggle with my balance. I love jumping but it doesn't come naturally or easily. :(

Thanks again for all the responses :)

Fiagai

Visit site
I have read this thread with great interest - is it just my perception or is there a significant number of posters who have been diagnosed with dyspraxia and who have gone on to do postgraduate studies (PhDs)?

Puzzles

Visit site
I have read this thread with great interest - is it just my perception or is there a significant number of posters who have been diagnosed with dyspraxia and who have gone on to do postgraduate studies (PhDs)?

I have been thinking exactly the same thing! I can't tell people how much more hope it's given me, because I'm working towards working in clinical psychology, which requires a Phd (and most probably a Masters, based on my current results:eek:). So manybe it is attainable after all... for those of ou in education (but particularly postgraduate) how do you manage to do things differently/accommodate working around your dyspraxia?

Fransurrey

Visit site

I'm doing a PhD, too. The reason I found out about Dyspraxia was a mix of an interview with Daniel Radcliffe (who has it) last year, followed by me attending a Teaching in Higher Education course, in which they highlighted the symptoms and how teachers can help.