E&L insurance

mums the groom

Visit site
I took out insurance on my pony when 1st bought him, unfortunately we had to call the vet out for a small case of colic (if I'd of known better I wouldn't have called the vet). I was going to claim the vet fees off the insurance but some one has warned me that if you claim for it on E&L it is then excluded for future claims. Has anyone else had this problem or are they scaremongering and if I claim for colic and change to NFU would it be a pre existing condition? Sorry for being a pain but this is a minefield

be positive

Visit site
Even if you don't claim it will need to be declared and it will be on his history now, colic is potentially serious and however minor it seems it is always best to call the vet, as for whether colic is now excluded it will depend on the company, it is not a pre existing condition in the true sense so may not be excluded in the future or may be for the following year and then covered again.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Be thankful nothing more came of the colic because E and L would have let you down big time. I would put the E/L policy in the bin and insure with a decent company.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Applies to all insurance companies not just e & l

It does, but the better companies are more customer focused and easier to deal with. Exclusions can be lifted after a period of time and dependent on what has happened. I have just had several lifted from a policy I have with KBIS.

I am biased against E/L, after watching a friend having an horrific accident and E/L refusing to pay out for ridiculous reasons.

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
I've said this before and here I go again.
E and L paid out for my serious trailer accident - the full whack - without quibble.

Jericho

Visit site
I have insured several horses with E&L and both times I have claimed they have been very efficient and paid out without a quibble. They will as with all insurance companies exclude at renewal all previous areas of claim.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I've said this before and here I go again.
E and L paid out for my serious trailer accident - the full whack - without quibble.

You were lucky. MY friend bought a WHP which had been to Wembley and wasn't cheap. He started having problems with his front legs and he was in and out of horspital and the consultant there wrote to E&L and told them that this was an ongoing situation - they agreed to this and would pay. When the bill came, guess what? They said it had gone on too long and wouldn't pay a penny. Luckily my friend was in a financial position to take the hit.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Fat piggy did your friend have their agreement in writing or only verbally?
I am with them, and have several friends with them. They have paid out on friends claims without any issues what so ever.
Touch wood, I haven't needed to claim with E And L, but previously did with Towergate. Towergate paid, but it took months to get it fully settled, so probably no different to quite a few companies.

Crackerz

Visit site
I've heard more horror stories from Petplan and NFU in recent years than E&L.

I don't insure for vets fees anymore, we have a savings pot now. But back in the day, we used E&L and they paid out over £10k in 5 years for one of mine. Absolutely no issue whatsoever.

horsebenny

Visit site
I've been with E&L for a long time, they paid out for my old horse's colic operation about 14 years ago with now quibble and the paid out when I lost a horse to grass sickness 18 months ago, again with no problem.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Fat piggy did your friend have their agreement in writing or only verbally?
I am with them, and have several friends with them. They have paid out on friends claims without any issues what so ever.
Touch wood, I haven't needed to claim with E And L, but previously did with Towergate. Towergate paid, but it took months to get it fully settled, so probably no different to quite a few companies.

To be honest, it was more than 10 years ago and I'm not certain, but as the horspital wrote to them, I presume they replied in writing.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
There is a vague possibility that E&L are cleaning their act up but I wouldn't hold my breath. Many Vets consider that if you have E&L Insurance they don't consider you have any insurance! They've got to be bad for that haven't they?

Here is a link to REVIEWS OF E&L INSURANCE......... not good reading if you are insured with them! :(

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews57547.html#Reviews

Follysmum

Visit site
E&L and Animal Friends are awful. NFU has been fantastic to my parents. They had a horse with colic surgery and also just had PTS due to brain tumour. NFU paid all vets direct no quibble and paid out full value of horse.