Ear Bonnets - what am I doing wrong?

buddylove

Visit site
The blummin things won't stay in the right place!
I use the le mieux x large ones as he has big ears, and put it on before the bridle. We set off with it in the right place, but before I know it, it has wriggled out from under the headpiece and is just perched on his ears.
Any top tips for getting them to stay put?!!!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Mine do move a bit but tend to still be secure! I do have a high viz one that has Velcro on it, so you can do it up around the head piece, but I never do! I always forget to put them on so tend to put bridle on first then have to put ears on afterwards!

zoelouisem

Visit site
Maybe the fit isn't great I use them for showjumping all the time never strapped or velcroed on and they never move or slip out I do think there better slightly snug on them.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
This with bells on.

No offence to people who use them by the way, just curious.

Not sure what the official purpose of them is but I use one to keep the flies from landing on pony's ears whilst hacking... He hates them even buzzing near the ears so this is quite effective at stopping the constant twitching and shaking.

Squeak

Visit site
Ear covers can also be used as a type of pacifier. My very sensitive boy is noticeably better behaved when wearing one. I'm always sceptical of things like this but alas I now look like I'm trying to be fashionable and never ride without one.

Eta maybe check the fit or try a different make, I've never had one move.

fawaz

Visit site
Ear covers can also be used as a type of pacifier. My very sensitive boy is noticeably better behaved when wearing one. I'm always sceptical of things like this but alas I now look like I'm trying to be fashionable and never ride without one.

Eta maybe check the fit or try a different make, I've never had one move.

I use them particularly on windy days as they seem to reduce how reactive my gelding is.

atropa

Visit site
I use them because I think they look smart and I love dressing my horse up like a Barbie doll, I also find them useful for keeping flies out of the ears in summer and know they're supposed to help calm a hot horse by reducing noise slightly. Mine isn't really hot so can't comment on that.

buddylove

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. He is a bit of a funny fit bridle-wise so that could translate into the bonnet fit as well. As for the purpose, he has some aural plaques and the advice I have received is to try and keep his ears covered as much as possible in fly season.

Visit site
This lad wears a proper silicon ear racing hood when out in public - for cosmetic reasons lol! And when out of his box to stop stuff going in

DSC_0198_zpsnjl7qcrx.jpg

Visit site
What happened to his ear EKW??

He got it stuck and torn off in a horse Walker apparently! The boss bought him.like that. He loves having it scratched! He still has a wee stumpy bit that looks really really weird when he wiggles it! You'd think he would be head shy after that but nope! Who ever looked after him through it all did a darned good job at keeping him happy with it!

Bilbo_Baggins

Visit site
Awww bless him EKW, awesome that such a traumatic injury didn't make him head shy :) I guess the silicon ear racing hood would also stop lots of questions all the time. Would love to see a photo of him wearing his bonnet. I see the sense of having it on to stop things going down inside.

I use a bonnet on my horse during the summer for the flies and I have found it does help as he is really twitchy when the flies are landing on his ears without it. I also use it on windy days. I have also found he is a lot less reactive with it on in that kind of weather. I often ride with a headband that goes over my ears in the winter on windy days and found it helped stop the whistling of the wind so I tried it on Bilbo and noticed he was a lot less reactive.

It also satisfies my "matchy-matchy" look as I chose green and gold as colours and of course chose an ear bonnet to match!