Ear drops alternatives/tips?

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Ted seems to be having off and on ear problems (just general gunk/hair/mites, always cleared up without vet trip/antibiotcs). I keep on top of hair plucking, and have treated it with normal doggy ear drops and it seems to clear up.

However, the ear drops are turning into more of a drama than it needs to be, :rolleyes: last time ended up with me and him covered in the drops as the bottle came apart, and he had worked himself into such a state he was panting, shaking and retching :confused:

Obviously the smart approach would have been to practice prior to any ear issues, as I assume he's now associated it with pain/discomfort from the drops in the ear.

I was thinking of attempting with a dropper (from facial oil or similar) as this might be more low key and sneaky but any other tips would be appreciated?

*recurring ear issues may well be a wheat/grain intolerance as I've read this somewhere, but a grain free low fat and protein food seems impossible.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would let the vet have a good look and treat this time, then get prescribed, more effective treatment to use at home, after you have a 'clean' baseline to start from.

Ear issues can be a reaction to food, it might be worth working out which food causes Ted's issues. Grain-free (if it really is, I saw the ingredients of one 'grain-free' dog food recently that contained oats, barley and rice - all grains) can contain sugarbeet which some dogs react to.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I would let the vet have a good look and treat this time, then get prescribed, more effective treatment to use at home, after you have a 'clean' baseline to start from.

Ear issues can be a reaction to food, it might be worth working out which food causes Ted's issues. Grain-free (if it really is, I saw the ingredients of one 'grain-free' dog food recently that contained oats, barley and rice - all grains) can contain sugarbeet which some dogs react to.

Good shout, it could be we're just not eradicating properly so it keeps flaring back up. Will get some super strength stuff.

Food is a bit of a palaver with his as well (anyone claiming hybrid vigour... :rolleyes:), most of the grain free mixes are too high in protein and fat for him, and he seems to be intolerant of duck (!?) which the Burns grain free has, but I'll check for sugarbeet in things as well. Thanks!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hector had recurring ear trouble, he was having wash and drops from the vet several times a day and it was a devil to clear up, and then just came straight back. We got through bottles of the stuff and it was very expensive plus the vet visits.

Then I read on here someone talking about Stinky Stuff, bought some and gave it a go and half a bottle later it is cleared up. He recently had his vaccinations and the vet was astonished. Ears clean as a whistle and he has not had any treatment at all for a couple of months.

Stinky Stuff also seemed to irritate him less while we were putting it in, and the bottle/squirter was easy to use.

I wondered if the heavy duty stuff was actually irritating him?

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Hector had recurring ear trouble, he was having wash and drops from the vet several times a day and it was a devil to clear up, and then just came straight back. We got through bottles of the stuff and it was very expensive plus the vet visits.

Then I read on here someone talking about Stinky Stuff, bought some and gave it a go and half a bottle later it is cleared up. He recently had his vaccinations and the vet was astonished. Ears clean as a whistle and he has not had any treatment at all for a couple of months.

Stinky Stuff also seemed to irritate him less while we were putting it in, and the bottle/squirter was easy to use.

I wondered if the heavy duty stuff was actually irritating him?

Interesting...and they look to have a dropper instead of the usual style squirter. I think a vet trip to check theres nothing underlying, (knowing Ted, I can probably wait a week and combine visits for some other drama....!) and I'll check out Stinky Stuff.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Interesting...and they look to have a dropper instead of the usual style squirter. I think a vet trip to check theres nothing underlying, (knowing Ted, I can probably wait a week and combine visits for some other drama....!) and I'll check out Stinky Stuff.

I think it is the squirter style, but honestly, it worked so well that he quickly stopped being a silly boy about it and shortly after stopped needing it at all.

Search on here as someone gave glowing reports which is why I tried it.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My old dog was allergic to Surolan so got worse.

One of mine used to have very smelly ears which have vanished since he moved onto the food he is on now.

If you want low protein/fat and grain free try any of the existing grain free brands but their older/senior range, that's what I had to do for a five year old with bad allergies, they have much lower protein and fat levels.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
I use little pads that you put on your finger. They are made by Vets Best. The dogs actually love having their ears cleaned as it’s like they are just getting an ear rub. You could possibly apply the drops/medication onto the pads & do it that way if he accepted it.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I use little pads that you put on your finger. They are made by Vets Best. The dogs actually love having their ears cleaned as it’s like they are just getting an ear rub. You could possibly apply the drops/medication onto the pads & do it that way if he accepted it.
This sounds brilliant. He loves having his ears poked, but as soon as there's drops involved he's off. Will hunt these down.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I'll be taking him to vet to check what's going on ☺️ hopefully he's just hairy and grubby 🙄

npage123

Visit site
Good advice give already, but just thought I'd say:
  • be very careful when poking dogs' ears - they do love it but you could very easily cause an injury to the inner ear or push grub/loosened wax down into the canal
  • the technique when using ear drops are critical - if not done correctly, most people don't get the drops right down into the ear canal, where it needs to go (ask vet to demo)
  • I've had ongoing problems with my Staffie's ears for a long time, each time taking him to the vet and getting Canaural - until someone on this forum very kindly suggested Thornitt ear powder to me (I think it was Cinnamintoast - forgive me, I can't remember now who it was who suggested it) - I've used it for a few days and he's NEVER had ear problems again!!

islander

Visit site
Have used it too npage123, my old Airedale had recurrent ear problems, seen by vet etc., and tried various prescriptions but Thornit powder was the thing that worked. Not saying it would for every ear infection, but it did for her.

Andie02

Visit site
Good shout, it could be we're just not eradicating properly so it keeps flaring back up. Will get some super strength stuff.

Food is a bit of a palaver with his as well (anyone claiming hybrid vigour... :rolleyes:), most of the grain free mixes are too high in protein and fat for him, and he seems to be intolerant of duck (!?) which the Burns grain free has, but I'll check for sugarbeet in things as well. Thanks!
Have you looked at Forthglade wet food ? There are several choices obviously avoiding the meals with rice but I would also avoid potatoes as well. Also Acana dry food is free from all grains.

Clodagh

Visit site
I have just emailled my mum to ask what her elderly collie with pancreatitis is fed on. I know she has Millies wolf heart but I'm not sure which one. Beet pulp gives mine smelly ears, although Tawny's ears are just high maintenance generally.
It is horrible when they get distressed by treatment. :-(

Tinkerbee

Visit site