Ear problem anyone had the same

magusequus

New User
Visit site
My Red setter has a constant infection in his left ear, hes had it for a year now has been to the vets several times, last time they sedated him, cleaned it and gave me drops again, but told me I needed to manage it that it would never go away. Feel so sorry for him and struggle to believe theres nothing that can get rid of it....
Any ideas ? anyone come across the same verdict ?

Goldenstar

Visit site
One lab we had years ago had constant ear issues if I remember rightly he has a very narrow channel which meanlt that the medication just was not clearing up the infection properly he had surgery at the dick and it rid him completly of the issue it's a long time ago I dont remember all the details but it did work.

magusequus

New User
Visit site
His ear channel is really inflamed all the time and more of the drops come out than go in...
Time to try another vets I think, done 2 vets, maybe third time lucky

Aru

Visit site
In a serious longterm issu dog we would usually start with a culture and antibiotic sensitivity on the ear(s) or a swab to see exactly what is present inside and to have a starting point to see responses to treatment. Then chose the most suitable antibiotic to kill off the infection(s). Then we would swab every 2 weeks or so to see if treatment is working and continue on antibiotic drops until second swab with no bacteria/fungi found. Otherwise relapses are an issue. This can take several weeks :( and may need to more than one deep clean under sedation in order to get hold over a long term infection unless its a very chilled out dog.
Steroids are usually needed with a gradually decreasing dose in order to keep the dogs with bad cases comfortable.

From then on management....generally this involves regular use of ear flushes to prevent a build up of debris in the ear allowing infections to get hold.I find Zymox is quite good as a management flush..try to get the hydrocortisone free one if he needs a frequent flushes as the steroids in the other can thin and weaken the skin. However if the canals are inflamed steroids will likely be the best way to control the issue. There are various brands out there.

Clipping the underhair of the ear and plucking out any inner ear hairs to increase ventilation in the canals is usually a good idea.

as a lot of chronic cases can have underlying allergy issues that show up as ongoing ear problems seriously consider looking at the dogs diet in case of intolerances...a few weeks of a strict novel food trial may be a good idea to rule out diet allergies. Also be very strict on keeping up to date on flea prevention as flea allergies are more common than people think and it only takes one flea bite to set them off

Some dogs with long term chronic issues can be due to the confirmation of the ear that leaves them continually getting infections in spite of management though so surgery tends to be the solution in that situation.

misst

Visit site
In a serious longterm issu dog we would usually start with a culture and antibiotic sensitivity on the ear(s) or a swab to see exactly what is present inside and to have a starting point to see responses to treatment. Then chose the most suitable antibiotic to kill off the infection(s). Then we would swab every 2 weeks or so to see if treatment is working and continue on antibiotic drops until second swab with no bacteria/fungi found. Otherwise relapses are an issue. This can take several weeks :( and may need to more than one deep clean under sedation in order to get hold over a long term infection unless its a very chilled out dog.
Steroids are usually needed with a gradually decreasing dose in order to keep the dogs with bad cases comfortable.

From then on management....generally this involves regular use of ear flushes to prevent a build up of debris in the ear allowing infections to get hold.I find Zymox is quite good as a management flush..try to get the hydrocortisone free one if he needs a frequent flushes as the steroids in the other can thin and weaken the skin. However if the canals are inflamed steroids will likely be the best way to control the issue. There are various brands out there.

Clipping the underhair of the ear and plucking out any inner ear hairs to increase ventilation in the canals is usually a good idea.

as a lot of chronic cases can have underlying allergy issues that show up as ongoing ear problems seriously consider looking at the dogs diet in case of intolerances...a few weeks of a strict novel food trial may be a good idea to rule out diet allergies. Also be very strict on keeping up to date on flea prevention as flea allergies are more common than people think and it only takes one flea bite to set them off

Some dogs with long term chronic issues can be due to the confirmation of the ear that leaves them continually getting infections in spite of management though so surgery tends to be the solution in that situation.

This is almost word for word what my vet has told me about my JRT. She had recurrent problems with her right ear for 3 years - new vet did swabs and new antibiotics etc and then suggested it could be allergy but, to be honest, we have not gone down the exclusion diet route as it is so complex - one deviation spoils it - and she is a thief:eek:
Last year she had a lateral wall resection of her ear. It was obviously not nice for her to have surgery but she managed really well and recovered in no time. Touch wood she has had no recurrence. It may be worth talking to your vet about this?? We still have to wash her other ear weekly to prevent problems but it was never as bad as the right ear. I hope you find a solution.

Dizzykizzy

Visit site
I have posted before about the dreadful problems I have with my dogs and their ears.
We spent all day yesterday at a referral hospital in St Helen's with one of the leading dermatologists in this country.
I agree with what Aru says and would like to stress the most importat thing is to get cultures done and treat the infection with the antibiotic it is sensitive too otherwise you will end up building resistance which is the problem we have now (and 2 ruptured ear drums).
The dermatologist is certain we will not have to have surgery but it is not going to be a quick fix. One of our dogs has sadly lost most of the hearing in one ear as a result of this, she had to have a CT scan yesterday to check her inner ear was not also damaged, thankfully it wasn't.
Ear disease in dogs is very serious, please don't let your dog get as bad as mine have (and this is with almost weekly visits to our vet since last October).
Let us know how you get on.
Also forgot to say that a high percentage of ear problems are due to allergy, one of ours has already had allergy tests so we knew she had problems, another had the tests yesterday and is massively allergic to house dust mites, the little one had been on steroids so can't be tested until she comes off them.

Last edited:

magusequus

New User
Visit site
Brilliant thankyou so much I feel new hope that I can now go armed with ideas of what would be worth trying. I have also been recomended a vets in my area, hopefully better than the last two and will speak to my insurance company in the hope they may help with the costs, but suspect he will now have an exclusion
Will let you know how it goes
Previous vets did do cultures and tests for allegies then perscribed him drops to clear the infection based on the results... 1st vet I returned 6 times total speant £600, then tried second vet who lost interest after they sedated him and cleaned it total cost £300, His ear infection is cronic its constantly weaping and smells really awful my poor dog so fingers crossed with this new amo I can at least get him confortable

Toffee44

Visit site
Sounds all very similar to my spaniel x. Turned out to be what we think is a grain allergy. Three weeks on raw chicken and we had clean dry ears. Not had an infection in 2 years now.

Toffee44

Visit site
Vey commented that he had narrow ear canals and in several occasions teal had raw bleeding ears it was horrible. I only clean them if he's been in water and shoved his head under the water (about once a week but in reality I clean them fortnightly)

blacksabbeth

Visit site
When I read the paper I noticed a lot of pin pointing was at the bull mastiff which was as the owner pit it castrated to calm his aggression around children?I noticed staffies are being tarnished again as the attackers who went in first,but no one actually knows the full story and from what I read the poor girl had serious wounds around her throat.Now I do own two staffies and what these dogs have done I could not bare to think if that was my child and ANY of the dogs no matter what breed it is or was should be put down which they have been.As for the owner complete stupidity on there behalf allowing a child/teenager in to there house with a dog of that size known for its aggression.Just to clarify both my boys are very well behaved and are very social around both people and any animal but its how they have both been raised.My mother in law had her king charles put down as it did bite one of her children and became extremely aggressive,she did consider rehoming but was too risky.My nan had a springer who had to be shut away from grand kids as was aggressive,my uncles cocker I nearly shot myself as it lunged for my son when we were walking through the door.A friends labrador was also put down due to its aggression.And a friends springer attacked one of my staffies on more than one occassion on the yard and my boy didnt even retaliate he just took it.All of these dogs have had great up bringings and medical checks all were clear,each vet said along the lines of its just this dogs individual nature.I feel very sorry for the family and the loss of there little girl despite what breed of dog it was.