Early stage kidney disease in cat

Chianti

Visit site
My cat is about 15. I've had him for 12 years and he was a stray I rehomed from Cats Protection. Earlier in the year he had a routine blood test. The vet was a bit concerned at one of the markers so did a more thorough one and its shown early stage kidney disease. I've just managed to get a urine sample and that's being processed. Vet also wants to get his blood pressure so she can clarify what stage he's at. He looks good for an older cat and doesn't seem to have lost any weight so far. He has started to drink a bit more but I only see him drinking in the morning. My problem is with his diet. Vet suggested changing him to food to support his kidney function. I've tried Royal Canin - which he ate for a couple of weeks but is now ignoring. I've just ordered some Hills. He's always been very fussy with food and will do the classic cat thing of loving something for a few weeks and then refusing to eat it. Has anyone got any ideas of other makes I can try or additives that might help? I'm of the mind that I'd rather he ate what he likes and enjoys life - even if it's a bit shorter- than loses weight because he won't eat what I'm giving him and is miserable. I'm on a couple of Facebook pages for cats with kidney disease. There are a lot of American members and what some of them put their cats through to treat this is quite shocking to me.

HashRouge

Visit site
Hi Chianti, our chap Stan was diagnosed with early stage kidney disease about 16 months ago. He dropped quite a lot of weight quite quickly, so my Mum took him for a check up and the answer was, unfortunately, kidney disease. He's 16 now, so was 15 when diagnosed, and had a very rough start in life. We've had quite a lot of trouble with his diet because he was not at all keen on the special kidney friendly foods we tried him on to start with! However, he has taken to a particular German brand that my Mum buys online and *touch wood* has been eating that very well. Turkey flavour only though, he won't touch the others! I can't remember the brand name but I can ask my Mum and let you know. We also have some biscuits, again aimed at cats with poor kidney function, which he likes and eats fairly well. Again, I'll find out the brand for you. If he goes off his special food, we do just give him normal cat food though as the vet said better for him to be eating something! But touch wood, he is eating both biscuits and wet food really well at the moment. His weight has also stabilised quite well on this diet. He's not as chunky as he was before his initial weight loss, but he's definitely filled out again and the vet seems pleased.

One think he really, really likes, is a special water fountain that we got him, as he does drink more than he used to, although not an overly concerning amount. He also likes to have a water bowl upstairs, although my dad does keep tripping over it!

Our aim is just to manage him as best we can in a way that doesn't compromise his welfare in any way. He would hate regular vet visits, for example, and we wouldn't do the daily drips that some people seem to. Not only does it strike me as cruel and painful for the cat, but Stan also bites/ scratches if he gets annoyed, so not sure how we'd manage it anyway!

Chianti

Visit site
Hi Chianti, our chap Stan was diagnosed with early stage kidney disease about 16 months ago. He dropped quite a lot of weight quite quickly, so my Mum took him for a check up and the answer was, unfortunately, kidney disease. He's 16 now, so was 15 when diagnosed, and had a very rough start in life. We've had quite a lot of trouble with his diet because he was not at all keen on the special kidney friendly foods we tried him on to start with! However, he has taken to a particular German brand that my Mum buys online and *touch wood* has been eating that very well. Turkey flavour only though, he won't touch the others! I can't remember the brand name but I can ask my Mum and let you know. We also have some biscuits, again aimed at cats with poor kidney function, which he likes and eats fairly well. Again, I'll find out the brand for you. If he goes off his special food, we do just give him normal cat food though as the vet said better for him to be eating something! But touch wood, he is eating both biscuits and wet food really well at the moment. His weight has also stabilised quite well on this diet. He's not as chunky as he was before his initial weight loss, but he's definitely filled out again and the vet seems pleased.

One think he really, really likes, is a special water fountain that we got him, as he does drink more than he used to, although not an overly concerning amount. He also likes to have a water bowl upstairs, although my dad does keep tripping over it!

Our aim is just to manage him as best we can in a way that doesn't compromise his welfare in any way. He would hate regular vet visits, for example, and we wouldn't do the daily drips that some people seem to. Not only does it strike me as cruel and painful for the cat, but Stan also bites/ scratches if he gets annoyed, so not sure how we'd manage it anyway!

Thanks for the reply. Stan sounds very like my Sam. He wandered into a garden and was skin and bone so must have been homeless for a while. He also hates the vets and gets very stressed so I also try to limit vet visits. If you could send me the name of the food that would be great. I've just given him some good old Whiskas and he's wolfed it down so I know it's the food and not his appetite or dental problems ( another issue!). I'll try the water fountain as he's also very peculiar about where he'll drink - at the moment it's in the bath with the cold tap running slowly.

RLS

Visit site
My old cat was diagnosed with compromised renal function about 18 months ago. He's now about 15.5 yrs old. I went through every brand of renal diet cat food I could find. Each one was OK-ish for a few weeks - then, nah, don't like that any more mum, take it away. He was getting pretty skinny as he wouldn't eat very much at all. So vet has now put him on a sort of supplement - Pronefra - which he gets twice a day (syringed straight into his mouth!) and eats ordinary cat food. He's doing quite well now.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Aim to feed easily digested protein. Fish and chicken are good, it does not have to come in a tin just raid the freezer aisle. If all else fails, stick to what he will eat. It's sad when degenerative illness starts to appear - hope he has a few more years left.

HashRouge

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Stan sounds very like my Sam. He wandered into a garden and was skin and bone so must have been homeless for a while. He also hates the vets and gets very stressed so I also try to limit vet visits. If you could send me the name of the food that would be great. I've just given him some good old Whiskas and he's wolfed it down so I know it's the food and not his appetite or dental problems ( another issue!). I'll try the water fountain as he's also very peculiar about where he'll drink - at the moment it's in the bath with the cold tap running slowly.
Stan was obsessed with drinking from the bath tap, which is why we thought he might like a fountain. He still has his water bowl out, but always goes for the fountain. I think it's something to do with the running water.

HashRouge

Visit site
My old cat was diagnosed with compromised renal function about 18 months ago. He's now about 15.5 yrs old. I went through every brand of renal diet cat food I could find. Each one was OK-ish for a few weeks - then, nah, don't like that any more mum, take it away. He was getting pretty skinny as he wouldn't eat very much at all. So vet has now put him on a sort of supplement - Pronefra - which he gets twice a day (syringed straight into his mouth!) and eats ordinary cat food. He's doing quite well now.
Your cat may be slightly more civilised than Stan, no way we could syringe something into his mouth twice a day!!

HashRouge

Visit site
Sorry for the multiple posts! My Mum has just messaged me - Stan likes Animonda Integra Protect Nieren in turkey flavour (he did eat chicken and beef then went off them, but the turkey he has been eating for ages). He also liked Kattovit Renal with turkey, but my Mum bulk bought a load of the Animonda Integra so he hasn't had this one for a bit. Dry food, he has consistently eaten Hill's Kidney Care with chicken. He has that out all the time so he can eat it as and when. God knows what she's spending on all this...!

fiwen30

Visit site
Our cat had her bloods run as a precaution (we adopted her 3 years ago, at around age 8), and they showed elevated proteins in her kidneys - a first sign of potential kidney problems, down the line. She was prescribed Semintra to be given orally once daily, which reduces the protein making its way into the kidneys and compromising them further.

Our vet is hopeful that having caught it early we can prevent further damage, and they also suggested that moving to a kidney diet would be gold star treatment right now.

From what I know, cats do much better on preventative medication and management for kidneys than dogs do, so anything you can do for the cat will be beneficial in extending kidney function.

Chianti

Visit site

Thanks. I'll have to talk to the vet.

Chianti

Visit site
Sorry for the multiple posts! My Mum has just messaged me - Stan likes Animonda Integra Protect Nieren in turkey flavour (he did eat chicken and beef then went off them, but the turkey he has been eating for ages). He also liked Kattovit Renal with turkey, but my Mum bulk bought a load of the Animonda Integra so he hasn't had this one for a bit. Dry food, he has consistently eaten Hill's Kidney Care with chicken. He has that out all the time so he can eat it as and when. God knows what she's spending on all this...!

Thank you

Umbongo

Visit site
Common side effects of kidney failure include nausea, so going off foods happens quite a lot. I advise most people to keep a selection of a few different flavours/brands. Renal diets are the best thing for slowing down the progression of kidney failure, but they obviously aren't as palatable as regular food. The most important thing is that your cat is eating. So if they will only eat Felix, then fine. Just make sure they are getting plenty of water eg: wet food, water fountain etc.

You can also talk to your vet about some medications/supplements to help support the kidneys if he won't tolerate the diet.
My cat lasted 5 years with kidney failure. I hated that he preferred the rubbish butchers tins as I work in veterinary. But he was happy and eating!

In later stages of kidney failure, injecting small volumes of fluid under the skin regularly can really help improve hydration levels too. Most vets will teach owners how to do this at home if your cat is easy to handle.

Last edited:

Chianti

Visit site
Common side effects of kidney failure include nausea, so going off foods happens quite a lot. I advise most people to keep a selection of a few different flavours/brands. Renal diets are the best thing for slowing down the progression of kidney failure, but they obviously aren't as palatable as regular food. The most important thing is that your cat is eating. So if they will only eat Felix, then fine. Just make sure they are getting plenty of water eg: wet food, water fountain etc.

You can also talk to your vet about some medications/supplements to help support the kidneys if he won't tolerate the diet.
My cat lasted 5 years with kidney failure. I hated that he preferred the rubbish butchers tins as I work in veterinary. But he was happy and eating!

In later stages of kidney failure, injecting small volumes of fluid under the skin regularly can really help improve hydration levels too. Most vets will teach owners how to do this at home if your cat is easy to handle.

Thanks. he's enjoying the Whiskas. I've ordered a couple of different brands for him to try.