Ears pinned when working in hand?

lucy_108

Visit site
This is an odd one, so I'm here because I genuinely have no idea!

I have a rising 4 year old (he's 4 in two weeks) who I've had since 11 months old. He is a real canny little dude and we got him from a rescue center with 0 expectations. He is a cheeky chap who needs plenty of things to do to keep him out of mischief. I started ''working'' him in hand at 2 years old and we've just carried on from there. When I say ''worked'', I mean groundwork exercises, in hand hacking and long reining - nothing taxing, always in short bursts and never repeatedly (a couple of times a week).

I backed him very very lightly last year as a three year old and he took to it like a duck to water - no issues whatsoever. Rebacked him about 6 weeks ago, same again - easy breezy, quite happy.

I don't plan on doing much ridden work with him this year, he was quite successful in hand in the show ring last year so I'd like to do a bit more of that but this is where my issue is - he is very responsive in hand. I really worked from the ground up with him so if you change your pace, he does to. Stops without pressure, turns without pressure - he's very ''in tune'' when it comes to handling. BUT, if you ask for any upward change in pace, specifically up into trot - he pins his ears and sometimes snakes his head. He never bites and nothing ever comes of it, but it makes for an awful 'picture' when he's moving. He moves beautifully, but the ears and the face tell a different story.

He has had his teeth checked, sees a physio regularly and had a vet check before backing for soundness, including palpation of back/neck and flexions. All absolutely fine, no issues raised. My first call would be pain related behavior - but I have nothing to present to my vet, apart from a pony that looks bad tempered when he trots. The only thing I haven't done is scoped for ulcers, but I will be getting him scoped just to be sure. That said, he doesn’t present as the typical ulcer type (before anyone pops off at me - I know there isn’t a true type and any horse can get them, but he is an unlikely candidate let’s say) and this is the only “symptom” he shows.

Any thoughts or ideas gratefully received!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Might be no issue, I had a mare with the absolute sweetest of temperaments and nice to ride etc. Yet if I trotted her up in hand for showing she would pin back her ears and make a face. No idea why she did it! But judges put her down because of the "picture". I even tried treating her and clicker training practicing at home but to no avail.

humblepie

Visit site
Might be no issue, I had a mare with the absolute sweetest of temperaments and nice to ride etc. Yet if I trotted her up in hand for showing she would pin back her ears and make a face. No idea why she did it! But judges put her down because of the "picture". I even tried treating her and clicker training practicing at home but to no avail.

Reminds me of old horse years ago. We were through to in hand and ridden champs and the in hand ring held back until the ridden one had finished. Horse won the in hand champ and judge did comment the only time he out his ears forward was in the ridden class. Can’t remember how he did in ridden one though. Too long ago but the comment stuck in my mind.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Maybe ask someone at a pro yard. I used to do a bit of showing and noticed that the horses from the pro yards always had their ears pricked. There was also an older hack that turned up at the local riding club shows and he used to put himself in position with his front feet together, head up, ears pricked as much as to say "look at me."

I daresay there are some methods, only ask someone who isn't in the same classes as you.