Easter weekend plans?

meesha

Visit site
Boxing up to hack with friend who has lovely hacking so lots cantering and water to go through this morning. Physio for baggins this afternoon.

Friend boxing to me to hack Monday which will be lovely although not sure I have a big enough mounting block as her horse is over 17h lol.

Lots of pulling up mud control mats moving them ready to relay. Might buy membrane and mark out area ready to relay the mats once last pallet load arrives next week. Then just posts,board and sand, was in no hurry but with no let up in the rain will crack on with it.

ihatework

Visit site
I am off with the little Spanish Bean to a Lewis Carrier clinic on Sunday that I am excited about!

Then next Saturday I am at the BRC Nationals with the big cob man 🤩

I’d be interested in hearing how LC teaches. He has fairly recently based in my village

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
No plans at at last night.....

Will hack this afternoon, then either tomorrow or Sunday will now box over to an RC friend who has just announced she has jumps out in her indoor, so can have a pop whatever the weather.
The other day I'll probably box out for a hack, Monday we are taking D dog out, no idea where yet!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I had a lesson today and enjoyed it so much! Really working on my lower leg which has improved but then we brought canter in to the mix and they went crap again, mainly the left one. My instructor was so good at adapting the exercises and dialled it down a bit so I did get some canter practice in (scary, but also fun and proud of myself!) then went back to sitting trot to work on the lower legs and knees not gripping up. I'm feeling hopeful that next time will be better because the sitting trot went fairly well and if I can just 'do less' it seemed like going into canter should be a lot smoother.

Also I like that I have not been given a whip to use - I'm gripping and doing various things wrong so it doesn't seem fair to the horse to back up the aid that I'm sort of not doing very well in the first place.

I am now sort of paying for it with fatigue kicking my butt but it was totally worth it.

Supposed to be writing at Oxstalls on Sunday morning but Saturday has been cancelled, Sunday is pending decision tomorrow. After the epic rain and hailstorms today I wonder if that's optimistic. Will see!

Chiffy

Visit site
I don’t usually venture in here as it’s not me doing the riding these days, but my daughter, son in law and both granddaughters ride and compete on a regular basis.
For the next three days both granddaughters are competing at the Pony Club Area Spring Festival at Morris. Age 13 and 11, they have both qualified for all three disciplines dressage, arena eventing and show jumping. Three very busy days.
I am at home helping man the fort here, help with stables and extra dogs. The good news is it’s all being shown on Horse and Country TV . Hope to keep up with Thoresby Horse Trials that are being shown too!

Wishfilly

Visit site
Lots of fun plans for the coming week. Had a fun lesson today, starting to play a little bit with going sideways, which I really enjoy even though I'm not very good at it!

Also some very low key jumping planned, which I'm actually sort of excited about. Will report back if it's in any way successful.

Good luck to all going out and about to serious things, and I hope everyone manages to dodge the showers. We even had snow this week!

SEL

Visit site
After having a monumental grump about the weather and my lorry being off the road I gave myself a kick up the backside and took both ponies hacking.

Microcob did the longer route and was underwhelmed to find all her gallop spots saturated. Baby cob braved the traffic and the housebuilding site in the wind and went up the road. Both were a credit to me - less said about some of the local drivers the better.

Kirstd33

Visit site
A livery and I made the somewhat rash decision to hack out this afternoon off the yard, down a track, through a metal sheep fence onto a big parkland. We’d ridden down the track and I’d hopped off to open and close the metal sheep fence and the heavens opened with hailstones like bullets. Coblet thought he was under fire from above and was dancing round like an idiot whilst I attempted to make him stand for me to remount off the ground (good job he’s only 14.1) whilst being smacked about the face by the hailstones. Got drenched but we all needed the leg stretch, ponies and riders alike. Tomorrow will be a lane hack and then Monday we’re heading for a local arena hire.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Camp was fab! I was very lucky with the weather and jumped in the dry both days. I was only showjumping as I am not eventig this year, but the 80 acres was open on Day 2 which was good. Lottie was a bit wild on day 1. Somerford haylage plus Spring grass was an interesting combo! But much calmer on day 2.

I've bought the pics (of course!) so spam to come....

humblepie

Visit site
Lovely long hack Friday. 4.30 but really 3.30 before the clocks changed start yesterday to go showing. Placed in both classes but not the wins we needed to qualify. Nice day out though. Did him early this morning and been back to sleep since. Good job not a work day as shattered.

humblepie

Visit site
Been to Holland :) Finished 13th of 35. Frustrating extra circle in cones where I had a blind moment cost us a few places but overall a success. Next stop for Rocky- Royal Windsor :)

Your horse is gorgeous, such a lovely trot. Good luck at Windsor. Love Windsor but told horse he needn’t go there again after his won a couple of years back. He finds the atmosphere quite a struggle.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I sat on both my baby ponies yesterday. It was lovely, both very well behaved.
Amazing how the round 13hh takes up my leg so much more than the 14.2hh same length stirrups on both.

Robin (Bay) will need to do a lot more work this summer than I had planned as we are a little rounder than we should be at this time of year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240401_195734_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240401_195734_WhatsApp.jpg
    771.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240401_195912_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240401_195912_WhatsApp.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 10

AppyLover1996

Visit site
Pony and I entered some local dressage and managed to come 3rd and 1st so I was very pleased with that - he was a complete and utter spotted idiot in the warmup however he produced some lovely trot work inbetween bellowing for his new fwends in the other arena so that is a bonus. Managed to avoid the showers which was great, however the cheesy chips were swiftly demolished by my friends dog before I could get a fork full....

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
As I know people were interested in my Lewis Carrier clinic....unfortunately not much to report!

I took Bean to a new venue and was very much looking forward to the clinic!

After being a model young horse so far and always being perfectly behaved she found the venue very scary and found her nap button 🫠

Unfortunately not much work performed but got a couple of fun pictured anyway 🤣

Shows the ups and downs of training young horses and I schooled her yesterday and normal service was resumed!

Little disappointed as not really any tips given but not sure what he could do really 🤷‍♀️ my friend had a really good lesson though and learnt a lot.DSC_1624.jpgDSC_1729.jpgDSC_1661.jpg

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have become an infirmary for horses. One 5yo managed to cause himself serious injury and the vet wanted him to go to hospital but I refused as he isn’t worth the £6k it would cost for him to be there and have serious joint flush to reduce risk of infection on the wound. So he had the much cheaper option of staying at home and we are on day 3 of 14 days to get through hoping the wound doesn’t catastrophically break down or we have serious bone infection. I don’t get all the moaning about vets. My vet asked if he could go to hospital for joint flush, I said no, we moved on to solving what we could do. My 2yo has also come home as has some heat in her leg. The big guys haven’t made it eventing and I have lost all my motivation to ride so had an easy weekend as frankly I cannot get any motivation to do anything until this rain stops.

j1ffy

Visit site
I had a lesson today and enjoyed it so much! Really working on my lower leg which has improved but then we brought canter in to the mix and they went crap again, mainly the left one. My instructor was so good at adapting the exercises and dialled it down a bit so I did get some canter practice in (scary, but also fun and proud of myself!) then went back to sitting trot to work on the lower legs and knees not gripping up. I'm feeling hopeful that next time will be better because the sitting trot went fairly well and if I can just 'do less' it seemed like going into canter should be a lot smoother.

Also I like that I have not been given a whip to use - I'm gripping and doing various things wrong so it doesn't seem fair to the horse to back up the aid that I'm sort of not doing very well in the first place.

I am now sort of paying for it with fatigue kicking my butt but it was totally worth it.

Supposed to be writing at Oxstalls on Sunday morning but Saturday has been cancelled, Sunday is pending decision tomorrow. After the epic rain and hailstorms today I wonder if that's optimistic. Will see!

Well done! It's lovely to read reports of you enjoying your lessons again.

Lovely long hack Friday. 4.30 but really 3.30 before the clocks changed start yesterday to go showing. Placed in both classes but not the wins we needed to qualify. Nice day out though. Did him early this morning and been back to sleep since. Good job not a work day as shattered.

Well done on the placings...and the early morning 😱

Been to Holland :) Finished 13th of 35. Frustrating extra circle in cones where I had a blind moment cost us a few places but overall a success. Next stop for Rocky- Royal Windsor :)

Love seeing your updates, it still boggles my mind that you can be so precise in the dressage! And the cones...and obstacles...

As I know people were interested in my Lewis Carrier clinic....unfortunately not much to report!

I took Bean to a new venue and was very much looking forward to the clinic!

After being a model young horse so far and always being perfectly behaved she found the venue very scary and found her nap button 🫠

Unfortunately not much work performed but got a couple of fun pictured anyway 🤣

Shows the ups and downs of training young horses and I schooled her yesterday and normal service was resumed!

Little disappointed as not really any tips given but not sure what he could do really 🤷‍♀️ my friend had a really good lesson though and learnt a lot.View attachment 136895View attachment 136896View attachment 136897
How frustrating! Still, at least the experience will bring her on and you have that last photo to look back on in future years ;)

j1ffy

Visit site
Quiet weekend horse-wise as I was off to visit some friends for the first three days of Easter. Had a quiet hack Monday then a jumping lesson yesterday including our first wall - it's still tricky to work out which stride he's jumping from (or vice versa - tbh I think he's a lot better at it than I am!) and we're doing plenty from trot still as we focus on ride ability. It's just a bit of fun for us and I doubt we'll do much bigger than this as I'm a complete 🐔, but he enjoys it and bizarrely it seems to relax him rather than wind him up!

@TheMule asked for photos last time. Here's a vid and a screenshot:

IMG_4372.jpg

We've not focused on flatwork for a couple of weeks now. We're still having a huge issue with the right canter transition (jumping into right canter / flying change / simple change into right canter are both fine, we just can't do a bog standard trot to right canter) and following feedback from Diane Thurman-Baker a couple of weeks ago I'm having his back x-rayed on Thursday...and possibly everything else I can think of. If that's all clear we'll go down the new saddle route, which is a minefield that I'm not looking forward to!

Last edited:

humblepie

Visit site
Quiet weekend horse-wise as I was off to visit some friends for the first three days of Easter. Had a quiet hack Monday then a jumping lesson yesterday including our first wall - it's still tricky to work out which stride he's jumping from (or vice versa - tbh I think he's a lot better at it than I am!) and we're doing plenty from trot still as we focus on ride ability. It's just a bit of fun for us and I doubt we'll do much bigger than this as I'm a complete 🐔, but he enjoys it and bizarrely it seems to relax him rather than wind him up!

@TheMule asked for photos last time. Here's a vid and a screenshot:

View attachment 136921

We've not focused on flatwork for a couple of weeks now. We're still having a huge issue with the right canter transition (jumping into right canter / flying change / simple change into right canter are both fine, we just can't do a bog standard trot to right canter) and following feedback from Diane Thurman-Baker a couple of weeks ago I'm having his back x-rayed on Thursday...and possibly everything else I can think of. If that's all clear we'll go down the new saddle route, which is a minefield that I'm not looking forward to!

Hope comes out all alright.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Well done! It's lovely to read reports of you enjoying your lessons again.

Well done on the placings...and the early morning 😱

Love seeing your updates, it still boggles my mind that you can be so precise in the dressage! And the cones...and obstacles...

How frustrating! Still, at least the experience will bring her on and you have that last photo to look back on in future years ;)
Thanks! I found these lessons by accident really as I had intended to do the assessment lesson with view to hacking only. I liked the first lesson so much I booked in a second and with the particularly pants weather hacking has lost it's appeal for now! They're more expensive than previous place but absolutely worth every penny, I'm so glad to have found this instructor and yard.