Easy change gullet my ar*e!!!

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I have a Wintec wide saddle in an xxw (the narrowest it comes) fit my pony a treat 6 weeks ago, but lots of hacking and a diet mean a slimmer pony, but a too wide saddle. So I get my gauge out and he now measures an xw. Perfect. I bought the wide saddle version as it says you can fit an x wide gullet into it, where as the regula saddle you cant put an xx wide. I Buy a gullet, gullet arrives. OH takes saddle apart, finds a tag stating only use the 3 purple wide gullets, white (xw) or red (wide) Lovely, just what Wintec told me, but didnt realise you could use a wide? Anyhow the white x wide doesnt actually fit! The holes dont line up with the screws. So half an hour of faffing about with 2 of us, it still didnt fit. OH then got cable ties to tighted the gullet against the plate and put all his weight on the plastic to line up the screw, where I quickly screwed it in! There is no way on this earth you would get a red gullet in that saddle! But easy change? Two grown ups, some cable ties and a ton of body weight!

Anyway, its done now after a lot a blue language, huffing and puffing. OH said pony must not change shape again!

Anyone else had this problem with the white gullet in the wide saddle?

Thanks for reading :D

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Hmmm, my saddle needs a gullet change before I can use it again (thank god I have a beloved barefoot as well) - but I need to be extremely nice to hubbie for a week before and a week after for him to change the gullets ( I have two to try).

It ain't pretty. Like I say, I honestly prefer by Barefoot - no hassle.

MoodleCob

Visit site
Haha! I had the same problem going from a white gullet to the dark purple one. I'm going to have to get the white one back in and I am not relishing it at all, they're so difficult, it took the brute strength of two women about an hour last time :)

rockysmum

Visit site
I can do one in about 10 minutes on my own. Only complaint I have is one wintec of mine you use a screwdriver, the other Allen keys. I always get the wrong ones out.

Never had to use brute force, but it is a knack, it took me longer the first time I did it.

igglepop

Visit site
If your in essex jess hill will check saddle and change gullet for £20 she also said that most saddle will do it free (as in not on top of callout charge). Did say tho that a few saddlers will give evil looks over a wintec saddle but i don't care love mine.

barnbrookaa

Visit site
You need to make your tree think bigger or smaller depending on which way you are going.
Give them a good flex they are much tougher then you think they are.
Bring it into the warm it will be much much easier to flex.

Hope this helps

Silmarillion

Visit site
I think they mean easy to change RELATIVE to a normal saddle with a fixed gullet... I've never found them easy, either! My saddler is a massive bloke though so it takes him seconds! :p

devonlass

Visit site
Have a thorowgood,never had a problem changing gullets and have done them on my own many times.

Used to have a wintec wide,and think i do remember it being a bit more tricky than the TG,but yours sounds stupidly difficult,are you sure the gullet itself was ok??

Least you got it done in the end,just don't let pony get any slimmer or fitter!! (or get a TG pony club or cob saddle;))

c2b

Visit site
I too have a wintec wide and change between the xwide (white) and the xxw (lightest of the pinky/purpley) from time to time.
The first time it took me ages with plenty of "creative" language. I can now do it fairly easily. I find it fiddly rather than difficult.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
It was a nightmare, but done now :O) You would never get a wide gullet in there like the label states!

It was a brand new gullet and looked ok. Thinking back, the saddle had just come out of the car and was cold, so may have been easier if it had been warmer! Either way, pony is not allowed to change shape now until at least spring.

I am glad im not the only one :D

kiagirl

Visit site
I did mine the first time and it took ages, saddler did it the second time and I realised that I hadn't taken off the first girth straps when I did it and that's why it took so long, did it in 2 mins after that

EmmasMummy

Visit site
I had a wintec.......lasted 6 months before I was pissed off and sold it. I had to pad the ground then like, use y knees to get it to open up wide enough to take a wide gullet! I skinned one hand and managed to stab the other with the screw driver...........and I'm a handy type person!

I got a Caledonia and albeit cheap - - was so much comfier, fitted better and was so much easier to change!

POLLDARK

Visit site
I have used Wintecs on youngsters & horses changing shape &, in their defence, have found it to be a 5 minute job to change a gullet. Have the right tools to hand, be sure of each step required & 5 mins to spare. Easy peasy.

zaminda

Visit site
I'm surprised you can now put XW gullets in the wintec wide, it used to just be the 3 special gullets. Never had a problem doing mine, but we have had lotsof practise!! However we now have a T4, as the tree suits the horses better.

Clava

Visit site
I have a Wintec wide saddle in an xxw (the narrowest it comes) fit my pony a treat 6 weeks ago, but lots of hacking and a diet mean a slimmer pony, but a too wide saddle. So I get my gauge out and he now measures an xw. Perfect. I bought the wide saddle version as it says you can fit an x wide gullet into it, where as the regula saddle you cant put an xx wide. I Buy a gullet, gullet arrives. OH takes saddle apart, finds a tag stating only use the 3 purple wide gullets, white (xw) or red (wide) Lovely, just what Wintec told me, but didnt realise you could use a wide? Anyhow the white x wide doesnt actually fit! The holes dont line up with the screws. So half an hour of faffing about with 2 of us, it still didnt fit. OH then got cable ties to tighted the gullet against the plate and put all his weight on the plastic to line up the screw, where I quickly screwed it in! There is no way on this earth you would get a red gullet in that saddle! But easy change? Two grown ups, some cable ties and a ton of body weight!

Anyway, its done now after a lot a blue language, huffing and puffing. OH said pony must not change shape again!

Anyone else had this problem with the white gullet in the wide saddle?

Thanks for reading :D

xxw is not the narrowest it comes in, you can fit a wide to a Wide saddle but nothing narrower. Sometimes you have to be brutal to make the wholes line up. I have put a wide in one but it is a struggle.

Visit site
"Puts hand up" I have a red gullet in a wide saddle that came with 3 purple gullets!
However, let the saddler put it in, as I had a devil of a job getting the white gullet in.
Now need to go back to white gullet and not looking forward to the battle