Easyboot Fury vs. Gloves

HelenBack

Visit site
I'm currently looking for some new boots for my horse. We've been in Old Macs so far and I really like them but I feel like we're at the point now where we can start to think about something less clumpy.

I'm just eyeing up the different options at the moment and obviously it will depend what fits and I plan to send photos and get some fit kits etc. First hand experience is always good though!

I know quite a few people use the Gloves and like them but I'm just wondering if anybody has used the Easyboot Fury? I quite like the look of the sling version and it sounds like it's quite adjustable which could be a good thing, but I never really heard of anybody actually having them. If anyone has used them could you tell me how you got on with them please?

My main requirements are the ability to stay on through rivers and some deep going and also good grip on greasy ground in the winter. I have never lost an Old Mac yet (don't want to jinx it!) and find the grip good in all but the wettest months, when we have to resort to the roads. So if these turn out to be the best option I'll stick with them but I do get the occasional bit of rubbing and can't help but think that something less clumpy and with a better breakover would be more suitable, although the horse has never complained yet, even on some fairly fast stretches!

HeyMich

Visit site
We use the Easiyboot Epics for our wee welshy, and they are great. Can cope with mud, cantering, jumping etc and (hopefully not jinxing) we haven't lost one yet. Not sure how they compare to the Furys though. Call Hoof Boutique or The Saddlery Shop and chat to the very helpful folk?

HelenBack

Visit site
Thanks. Yes, was going to call one or both of them but was just wondering what people's first hand experiences were. I'm not quite sure the Epics would fit as it says they're for slightly longer than wide hooves and mine has round feet but he might just fit into the size 1 looking at the chart. Perhaps I'll get a mixed fit kit and include an Epic shell to see.

Leafcutter

Visit site
I use glove wide’s, very pleased with them, only down side is they’re quite tricky to get on and off, but when you get the knack, it’s not too bad. Have never lost one, I have the power straps on mine, and the grip is ok, at least on the surfaces we ride on which is mostly muddy and stoney bridle paths, and on beaches including in the sea and through rivers.

HelenBack

Visit site
I use glove wide’s, very pleased with them, only down side is they’re quite tricky to get on and off, but when you get the knack, it’s not too bad. Have never lost one, I have the power straps on mine, and the grip is ok, at least on the surfaces we ride on which is mostly muddy and stoney bridle paths, and on beaches including in the sea and through rivers.

Thanks for your reply. Your riding sounds similar to mine - we have beaches and rivers too. The only thing is the ground by us is clay and it can get very greasy when it's wet so that can be a bit challenging.

When you say that the gloves are tricky to get on and off, is it time consuming or do you just have to use a bit of force? I don't mind having to force them a bit but I can't be doing with lots of faff and boots taking an age to get on!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
For faster riding I needed powerstraps on the gloves but that did mean that it was best/easiest to whack them with a mallet to get them back on, though it was doable without if I did loose one mid ride (I think he used to over reach at canter and pop one off but rarely). I did find it could be an issue if lost one in mud as hoof then muddy and it would seem more inclined to come off again as less for the grippy inside to grip. I bought some muller tape to try but horse then semi-retired so I used it on myself instead.

No experience of the new ones due to said retirement.

I think the furys would probably have been better options for us so long as they didn't rub. Horse very prone to rubs!

Baroque

Visit site
I'm sorry that I can't offer insight about the Fury but have you considered the Flex boot? I've recently bought some for my mare and am so far very impressed.

Given our current hard ground I haven't been able to try them in deep going yet but they had plenty of grip whilst she bucked and bronked around the field after heavy rain on a slick surface. I don't think any 'performance' boot will stay on as well in deep mud as a snugly fit over-coronet boot like an Old Mac or Cavallo anyway tbh.

The Flex fits snug but not as tight as the Glove. It's delightfully easy to put on and remove and cleans up quickly. There's a reasonable amount of adjustability and there's room for pads if you want to use them too.

So far they have not of produced a 'slim' version so some folk are having problems with twisting on hinds but mine are fine with the addition of pads.

Anyway, it's early days yet but so far I am inclined to think that at last I have found the almost perfect boot! (via Cavallo, Vipers, Scoots and Fusions). Time will tell how well they wear and given the relative flexibility in the shell I suspect it won't be as long as, say, the Vipers, but that same flexibility is what appeals since her foot can behave almost as it would if she were completely barefoot. So far, so good!?

paddy555

Visit site
I use gloves. They go on easily, it is knack not force that is required and you soon learn. Mine stay on they don't need tape. They stay on in the worst bogs and mud. I find they are the quickest boot out of every make to get on and off. I doubt it would take longer than 15 seconds to put one on and less to get it off. Some of mine have power straps some don't. I have a log that I use to tap the toe as I put them on.

ester

Visit site
I had good knack without the power straps used to take them on and off mid ride intentionally, it wasn't worth the faffing with them on so that might depend on how tight that makes them/a bit hoof specific.

HelenBack

Visit site
Thanks for the further replies and link to the fitting video. I had started to veer towards getting some Scoots over the weekend as I do like the grip on them but having watched the video I'm coming round to the idea of the gloves. I think I might have gone off the Fury's as they look like they could be pulled off easily if the horse over-reached. I really need to stop being so indecisive...

I'm sorry that I can't offer insight about the Fury but have you considered the Flex boot? I've recently bought some for my mare and am so far very impressed.

Thanks for your suggestion. I really like the look of the Flex boot but I got a fit kit and they didn't quite work for him - the one size was a bit too short and the next one up a bit wide. Shame as I did fancy them.

I had good knack without the power straps used to take them on and off mid ride intentionally, it wasn't worth the faffing with them on so that might depend on how tight that makes them/a bit hoof specific.

I don't mind using power straps if needs be as I've no plans to take them on and off mid ride - you're clearly a lot more dedicated than me as for me they're either going on and staying on or not going on at all! I will do shorter / easier rides without boots but if we're going any distance or over rougher terrain I just put them on and they stay on. My horse is a fidget anyway so I can't imagine him standing still while I faffed - you horse must have been very obedient :)

Leafcutter

Visit site
Gosh I wish mine were as easy to get on and off as the video. The first pair I had were easy like that, but they didn’t stay on, so I was advised to get a size smaller, and they are much harder to get on. I have to use a slight twisting motion and a rubber mallet to get them on, and a very strong hoof pick and a good 5 mins each, to lever them off! I do have elbow and forearm problems though so I’m not that strong with my hands.

ester

Visit site
That was only when we were transitioning, so was trying to get as much stimulation as possible but without compromising so he had them on for roadwork, and off once we hit grass :)

Baroque

Visit site
Gosh I wish mine were as easy to get on and off as the video. The first pair I had were easy like that, but they didn’t stay on, so I was advised to get a size smaller, and they are much harder to get on. I have to use a slight twisting motion and a rubber mallet to get them on, and a very strong hoof pick and a good 5 mins each, to lever them off! I do have elbow and forearm problems though so I’m not that strong with my hands.

I was the same as you. I really like the look and idea of the Glove - especially the Soft - but I don't have the strength in my hands that I once had, and couldn't even get the fit kit Glove shell off without a screwdriver used as a lever! A pity as I wanted them to work.

Thanks for the further replies and link to the fitting video. I had started to veer towards getting some Scoots over the weekend as I do like the grip on them but having watched the video I'm coming round to the idea of the gloves. I think I might have gone off the Fury's as they look like they could be pulled off easily if the horse over-reached. I really need to stop being so indecisive...

I was the same with indecision. There is so much choice these days, with new boots coming on line often too. Once you get down to finding something to suit hoof shape the selection narrows of course but it can take some faff to get to that point can't it?!

HelenBack

Visit site

See 5 mins would definitely put me off! It's one of the reasons I've been unsure about Scoots as I do like them but find the mud straps a complete faff when they're necessary. Quick and easy is definitely what I'm after! Although I don't have problems with my strength so maybe that would make a difference.

I was the same with indecision. There is so much choice these days, with new boots coming on line often too. Once you get down to finding something to suit hoof shape the selection narrows of course but it can take some faff to get to that point can't it?!

I'm a ditherer at the best of times. In theory he should fit most things as his hooves are pretty round but of course what fits on paper doesn't always work in real life, as I found out with the flex shells. It does mean there's more choice to get confused about though! I think I probably should just get a mixed fit kit from the hoof boutique with a few sizes of different options in and then take it from there. I'll probably end up buying loads of different pairs and then not get round to selling them knowing me!

paddy555

Visit site
5 minutes would definitely put me off as well. :D:D:D 30 secs is my maximum patience level.

I set my scoots up with mud straps but they are just a non starter. I can barely get them on and certainly not in any reasonable time frame. Without them I have had the boots come off so I need them. I stopped using scoots and moved to gloves as the scoots gouged into the back of the pastern. It happened on 2 different horses with different sorts of feet. One had been going happily for ages in them and then one day suddenly BLOOD. End of. I had used gloves before and they were perfectly safe so back we went.

For the gloves just some thoughts. If even the shells are difficult to get off it could be the next size up with power straps would be better. I have some that are very tight (out of choice) To put them on I stand in front per the video, put the foot in with a slight twiset then put the foot on the ground to let the horse's weight seat into the boot. Then give the toe a tap and fasten the gaiter then I give it a good "whack"
They are most definitely not going to come off in any sort of mud. To get them off say the right foot I hold it at my right side ( looking towards the tail) pull the gaiter right back and then ease each side alternatively. I don't use a screwdriver or hoof pick.
This may be problematical if you have weak hands etc.

HelenBack

Visit site
5 minutes would definitely put me off as well. :D:D:D 30 secs is my maximum patience level.

I set my scoots up with mud straps but they are just a non starter. I can barely get them on and certainly not in any reasonable time frame. Without them I have had the boots come off so I need them. I stopped using scoots and moved to gloves as the scoots gouged into the back of the pastern. It happened on 2 different horses with different sorts of feet. One had been going happily for ages in them and then one day suddenly BLOOD. End of. I had used gloves before and they were perfectly safe so back we went.

For the gloves just some thoughts. If even the shells are difficult to get off it could be the next size up with power straps would be better. I have some that are very tight (out of choice) To put them on I stand in front per the video, put the foot in with a slight twiset then put the foot on the ground to let the horse's weight seat into the boot. Then give the toe a tap and fasten the gaiter then I give it a good "whack"
They are most definitely not going to come off in any sort of mud. To get them off say the right foot I hold it at my right side ( looking towards the tail) pull the gaiter right back and then ease each side alternatively. I don't use a screwdriver or hoof pick.
This may be problematical if you have weak hands etc.

Thanks for the additional information on fitting etc. Looks like my horse is right on the border between two sizes so I'm going to order a fit kit to try and help me decide.

I just have one last question if you don't mind. How do you find the grip on them compared to the Scoots? My original reason for asking was for his front feet but I do also boot up behind and there we use Scoots. I'm mostly happy with them but can identify with all of the issues you've outlined above (no blood thankfully but random rubbing after months of using them). I've put up with them so far even though they're a faff because they do seem to stay on with the mud straps and I do like the grip on them. I've had some very hairy moments with other boots in the past so am quite careful on this one! I'm just wondering if I'm getting some shells to try on the front whether to also get some to try on the back at the same time. I probably will do that anyway, even if I don't go ahead and order two pairs straight away. I can always take photos for a later date but I guess I was just interested in your opinion really.

paddy555

Visit site
Thanks for the additional information on fitting etc. Looks like my horse is right on the border between two sizes so I'm going to order a fit kit to try and help me decide.

I just have one last question if you don't mind. How do you find the grip on them compared to the Scoots? My original reason for asking was for his front feet but I do also boot up behind and there we use Scoots. I'm mostly happy with them but can identify with all of the issues you've outlined above (no blood thankfully but random rubbing after months of using them). I've put up with them so far even though they're a faff because they do seem to stay on with the mud straps and I do like the grip on them. I've had some very hairy moments with other boots in the past so am quite careful on this one! I'm just wondering if I'm getting some shells to try on the front whether to also get some to try on the back at the same time. I probably will do that anyway, even if I don't go ahead and order two pairs straight away. I can always take photos for a later date but I guess I was just interested in your opinion really.

IMO the grip is not as good as scoots, in grip-ability on wet slick grass I think scoots, renegades, then gloves and epics which both have the same sole pattern.

A a general point a lot also depends on the horse's ability to slip. They learn to control slipping, some better than others. The semi feral ponies here trot on muddy grass in a straight line, they go round corners in a straight line and slip but they are so good at controlling their slipping it is not a problem. I rode behind a horse in gloves and I watched him slip everywhere. I asked his rider about it. They were completely oblivious to the slipping. The horse controlled it perfectly and they didn't notice. Others "teeter" along on slippy mud,, are not as good in dealing with it and their situation improves with better grip boots.

In a totally perfect world I would like the scoot sole but not their failure to stay on without mud straps and not their ability to mark the heel. My gloves stay on through just about anything, don't mark the foot but for that the grip is not quite as good.

Again just IMO, I don't like fitting either gloves or scoots from just shells. Initially yes of course it does show if the shell is simply too small or outrageously big but when you put a boot with the front straps on with a scoot what previously you thought too big and twisting does in fact fit a lot better. Same with gloves, there is a fine line between a shell possibly being slightly large and how well it will work by the time it has a gaiter and possibly a power strap on.

HelenBack

Visit site
IMO the grip is not as good as scoots, in grip-ability on wet slick grass I think scoots, renegades, then gloves and epics which both have the same sole pattern.

A a general point a lot also depends on the horse's ability to slip. They learn to control slipping, some better than others. The semi feral ponies here trot on muddy grass in a straight line, they go round corners in a straight line and slip but they are so good at controlling their slipping it is not a problem. I rode behind a horse in gloves and I watched him slip everywhere. I asked his rider about it. They were completely oblivious to the slipping. The horse controlled it perfectly and they didn't notice. Others "teeter" along on slippy mud,, are not as good in dealing with it and their situation improves with better grip boots.

In a totally perfect world I would like the scoot sole but not their failure to stay on without mud straps and not their ability to mark the heel. My gloves stay on through just about anything, don't mark the foot but for that the grip is not quite as good.

Again just IMO, I don't like fitting either gloves or scoots from just shells. Initially yes of course it does show if the shell is simply too small or outrageously big but when you put a boot with the front straps on with a scoot what previously you thought too big and twisting does in fact fit a lot better. Same with gloves, there is a fine line between a shell possibly being slightly large and how well it will work by the time it has a gaiter and possibly a power strap on.

Thanks, that's all really helpful. I do agree with you about fitting from shells. I've had a couple of fit kits in the past and with quite a few of them felt that I couldn't really tell if they'd be right or not when we went to the full boot. I think the only shell I put on thought straight away that it was a great fit was a renegade viper but as I want to be able to use a pad and I've hear that pads don't work well with them I had to rule it out. So I think whatever I decide I will then get it on a hire option too so I have the option to send it back if it doesn't work in practice.

It's all a bit of a faff really isn't it? I think this is why I've stuck with the Old Macs for so long as I know that they're basically okay even if they are a bit clumpy.

Interesting point about the slipping. My horse has only been barefoot for about 18 months and was out of work for the first six months so we're still relatively new to it all really. I think he does slip more now than he used to in shoes but I'm not entirely sure it bothers him as much as it does me! We tend to have very specific places where it will be greasy slippy mud (clay) if it's been wet. I ride along all tense and trying to take him round the side of them as much as possible but he just carries on pretty much oblivious! He has done some pretty big slips and I guess it worries me in case he does actually fall over but maybe I'm being overly cautious. There does come a point in the winter though where it's so treacherous in certain places that you just can't ride on them.