eating stones

frankie7

Visit site
my puppy keeps eating gravel (and ground, and guinea pig poo!) when you feel her tummy you can feel it in there. she has been doing this for quite a few days now, but this is the first time i have felt it in her tum. she is eating and drinking normally and when she poos there is gravel in it.

will this hurt her? i am worried about her getting blocked up but not sure how to stop her, when i catch her eating it i take it way from her and say no! but she keeps doing it.....

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My 1yr old rotweiler x german shepard munches on stones. She's quite fond of coal too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Small amounts of coal can be good for the tummy.

severnmiles

Visit site
I'm afraid I don't know how to stop her, nearly all puppies do it, they grow out of it eventually.

How is she?

P.s Hopefully there should be some Chimo half brothers/sisters in the next few hours...Skye is in stage one!

frankie7

Visit site
i thought a few stones were prob ok for her but i am sure she has a sack full in there! other than eating stones and being an escape artist (next door found her on their doorstep! (she wnt through the cat flap!) she is lovely, she is speeling on my feet at the moment!!

oh wow! puppies! you must be soooo excited! people keep asking us if we are going to breed her but we don't have the time or space for lots of puppies and could not give them up to other people!

severnmiles

Visit site
Aww bless her...she must be heavy with all of those stones
wink.gif
the cat flap..haha. They do say you have to have a sense of humour to have an inuit
grin.gif

More nervous than excited actually
crazy.gif
I'm lucky I have all day for the dogs and horses - I think it is a full time job with pups. I bet by 8 weeks people are glad to get rid of them as they probably will drive you around the bend! lol.

frankie7

Visit site
yeah, she climbed over the baby gate, through 2 plies of boxes, unlocked the cat flap and went through, then managed to squeeze under the fence to next door!

she has also found out how fun it is to dig and there are holes all over the garden.....

puppies are cute but by going by the amount of noise she can make, i cant imagine how loud lots of them would be!

brightmount

Visit site
My Springer Spaniel is 5 and still eats the pea shingle that we have in the gutter outside our conservatory. It all passes through OK. So as for growing out of it ... don't count on it!

I would be concerned about bigger stones though as a friend had a puppy who died as the result of swallowing a pebble.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
By eight weeks you will want to kill them all! I tried to convince my husband that some of our Springer puppies could go at 6 weeks (if they were going to homes with other dogs) but he wouldn't have it, and the last two weeks were very difficult!