Ebay Rant... GRRR

wench

Visit site
Put some listings up - put in it that I dont accept paypal for payment (after previous problems in payments that never apppered, and the fact my paypal account doesnt work at home, and you have to pay extra money on top), and they have removed them all, after it took me an hour last night, Very annoyed now

digger2

Visit site
I had that a little while ago, but they removed some not all. Paypal must be paying ebay alot of money to make ebay make us offer it as a payment method.
mad.gif

Apart from costs etc i registered initally from a work email, and as much as ive tried can not get paypal to recognise a new address. very frustrating.

My ads were saved somewhere tho, i just needed to reword and relist so didn't take too long

mintaka04

Visit site
Surely they didn't remove your ads just because you don't accept paypal?
That doesn't seem right to me.
I think e-bay is just getting to be too big for it's boots these days.

carys220

Visit site
I can't see them removing your listings just because you don't accept PP, have they contacted you about it? Have you contacted them?

moodiestmare

Visit site
OP You are right. They have done this to me. I had over 50 positive feedback from selling odds and ends and they sent me an email saying as I have not sold much I have to offer paypal which I don't want to (extra costs all the time)

I have switched to free ads.

Scribbles

Visit site
I absolutely hate ebay. It has been ruined by shops - you just can't get or seel old stuff anyhmore because there's five pages of new stuff at ordinary shop prices to scroll through. I was going to sell my long boots on there but just realised it's pointless, and they're going in the adtrader instead

jen1

Visit site
Totally agree re the shops seems to have taken the point out of using Ebay. Many seem to be end of ranges of stuff too in strange sizes, well strange to me in that they are XXS XS or XL XXL anything in a M or anything that is 'normal' size either doesn't appear or has so many bids on it it's not a bargain any more. Same with horse rugs etc. To be honest though there's a lovely tack shop opened near me and they are extremely helpful and I would much prefer to give my business to them. If the prices are a bit higher at least I know I am covered if I need to return something or if something doesn't fit or I need any advice, the novelty of ebay has certainly worn off with me.

I have never sold on ebay but a friend of mine has and she was saying how they have increased their charges so it's not worth selling smaller items any more.

dianchi

Visit site
I have had this i want to sel one thing! Says i have to have paypal. I had this when it forst came out and it got hacked into so now i refuse to use it!
Tho some websites you can pay thru paypal without having a log in which is ok.
Does my head in though that they try and charge you twice for a service!

Foxfolly

Visit site
From a buyers point of view I only tend to buy from ads that list paypal as I know I have a better chance of getting money back if things go wrong. Been had in the past so I'm a bit careful now!!

Also it costs any retailer per transaction to accept card payments so really paypal is just doing the same as a bank would do if you had a business account with a card reader!!

Although when I listed my Ifor williams trailer I didn't put paypal as I knew at approx £2k i'd be in for some hefty charges so I listed as cash on collection and other than the dodgy people messaging me telling me it was only worth £1k and they'd take it off my hands, I had no problems listing it and it went at the end of the 2nd week!

flyingfeet

Visit site
You have to accept PayPal as a method of payment, they changed the rules on this a few months ago.

Its to protect buyers, as if you send off a cheque you have zero protection, when you pay with PayPal using a credit card, you are 200% protected and can never loose out.

I think its a good thing to stop people getting scammed. Yes it costs more, but work that into your P&P charge.

Syrah

Visit site
Yup, new rule brought in, you have to have PayPal as a payment method now to sell on Ebay.

However, don't build your PayPal fees into your P&P, build it into your starting price.

It is looking likely that Ebay are going to bring in fixed P&P prices (check out the community boards on Ebay).

Also, if someone reports your auctions for excessive P&P, they will be pulled. P&P is just that, postage and packaging and you are not allowed to build in your Ebay or PayPal fees.

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
It's more than slightly ridiculous that ebay have effectively put a monopoly on which payment providers can be used. We have a nochex service which is much more reasonable than paypal for fees, the money is transferred to us quicker and the customer is still protected. Apparently, all of that is irrelevant as far as ebay are concerned (despite nochex being a recognised merchant provider by ebay) so unless I provide paypal I can't sell on ebay.

If enough people vote with their feet and stop using it then they will eventually have to change their rules.

I appreciate that customer safety etc is a huge issue but at the same time, we've had funds held by paypal for fradulent transactions - we never get the money back and by the time it's discovered the goods are long gone.

I don't use ebay anymore - can you tell
tongue.gif

flyingfeet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It is looking likely that Ebay are going to bring in fixed P&P prices (check out the community boards on Ebay).

Also, if someone reports your auctions for excessive P&P, they will be pulled. P&P is just that, postage and packaging and you are not allowed to build in your Ebay or PayPal fees.

[/ QUOTE ]
Rubbish - eBay are unable to bring in fixed fees without providing the service as otherwise will have to cope with 4 different Royal Mail services, airmail and couriers

We always have a handling and fees portion in our P&P, but its clearly displayed and the buyers take the choice of whether to bid on the auctions

Only a few buyers are stuffy and seem to think that the price on the item is the price they should pay (ignoring the packing, time to process etc).

D

Donkeymad

Ebay and Paypal are one and the same. The rules state that Paypal MUST be accepted, so they had every right to remove the listings.
I do hate ebay even more than I used to, and I feel that they are making it a very bad place for shops, who have so many fees and rules to abide by now. My husband has decided he is losing too much in fees selling on ebay now, and has closed his very successful shop.

Syrah

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Rubbish - eBay are unable to bring in fixed fees without providing the service as otherwise will have to cope with 4 different Royal Mail services, airmail and couriers

We always have a handling and fees portion in our P&P, but its clearly displayed and the buyers take the choice of whether to bid on the auctions

Only a few buyers are stuffy and seem to think that the price on the item is the price they should pay (ignoring the packing, time to process etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

They can and they will. There has alreaady been a test thread about the subject posted by the Head of Trust and Safety Pink (Ebay employee).

Watch this space, rubbish is exactly the same thing people said this time last year when it was rumoured PayPal would be made mandatory.