Ebay, rug not as listed? what do i do?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I recently purchased a rug off ebay. I bid on a 5'9 Rhino light weight turn out with neck cover.
When it arrived I was disappointing it was sadly too small for the intended wearer but was in excellent condition so i left good feedback.
I've just been examining it properly to relist and sell and see on the label its only a 5'6. So obviously never going to fit and i'd have never bid had i known.
I paid £50 and £12 postage.
Where do i stand?

scats

Visit site
I purchased a gel pad that was advertised as a medium. It arrived and had a large label. I messaged the seller with a photo of the label and that it wasn’t as described. Seller apologised and refunded me instantly and I sent it back.

I’m not sure what you would do if you’ve already left feedback, but presumably the rug wasn’t as advertised so you should be able to ask for a refund? I’d message the seller and see what they say.

teddypops

Visit site
Just ask for a return, if the seller ignores this, raise a dispute. I don’t think it matters that you have already left feedback.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've messaged the seller but not actually opened a dispute properly to see what she says first. I can see it was a genuine mistake but 5'6 is no good to me!
I believe i had 30 days so well within the limit.

Littlefloof

Visit site
As others have said, contact the seller first, politely and on the assumption that they have made an honest mistake. If no joy that way then, if you are within the time window, open a dispute and get your refund via eBay and PayPal, if not then sell it on ebay and buy another one with the proceeds.

teddypops

Visit site
Try the seller first but never return an item until you have received a refund. Check ebay conditions too. You only have so many days to register a complaint.
You won’t get a refund before returning an item. If you ask for a return, the seller sends you a label, you return, they refund on receipt.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've opened up a proper return process. It appears i should get the full amount back but not sure who pays the return postage.
I'm wondering if she knew as no apologies just ok send it back.

teddypops

Visit site
I've opened up a proper return process. It appears i should get the full amount back but not sure who pays the return postage.
I'm wondering if she knew as no apologies just ok send it back.
The seller needs to do you a returns label. You will have an option to ask for a return. I have done this for something wrong I received this week. It is the seller who should be paying for the return postage.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yep all done. Went so much smoother than I expected, she has sent a returns label and will refund when she gets it back.
I was expecting bit of a fight!

teddypops

Visit site
Yep all done. Went so much smoother than I expected, she has sent a returns label and will refund when she gets it back.
I was expecting bit of a fight!

That’s good! It’s just annoying though, I won a lovely rambo fleece supposed to be 6’, turned up and it was 6’6”! I just wish people would check the labels before listing!

Kaylum

Visit site
If we have a problem with ebay we always ask sellers to message us first before opening a case.

Refunds are given when the item is back in our possession and not before.

We have had things not fit but correctly listed and the buyer pays the return postage so each circumstance is different, but if it is our mistake we would pay.

scats

Visit site
Why oh why don’t people read adverts properly??

I had an item listed for 7 days, bidding started a few days ago and then again tonight when just a couple of hours to spare. Had a few people bidding.
Someone wins it and then messages me almost instantly to apologise but they didn’t realise it was a medium and they needed a large and could I cancel the sale. In all fairness they were very apologetic, but it’s frustrating because it said medium in the title and in the advert and I also showed a picture of the medium label.

So now I’ve had to relist it. Not the end of the world I know, but the money this week would have been rather useful! Just hope some of the other bidders see it back on again.

Last edited: