Ebay Trailer - thoughts?

ihatework

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't. Its a smaller trailer than one of IW505 size plus its only rear unload. To me that is more of a pony trailer.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Can't really advise - other than to say that I have two friends - one of which bought a sailing boat of ebay, and another a caravan. Equally delighted with their purchases.

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
[ QUOTE ]
Can't really advise - other than to say that I have two friends - one of which bought a sailing boat of ebay, and another a caravan. Equally delighted with their purchases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks amymay. I haven't bought anything of this size from ebay before!

S_N

Visit site
Bear in mind that something like that last trailer will be quite heavey, due to all the wood! What will be your towing vehicle?

Boxers

Visit site
I successfully bought a Rice Beaufort (approx 7 yrs old) from ebay earlier in the year and have been very pleased with it.

I did not go and see it before bidding and so I guess that was a bit of a risk.

Check if it has a serial number on it. Mine doesn't (the plate is blank) which worried me at first that it could have been stolen.

If you do get one, before you use it, book it in for a service. I had mine fully serviced before using it - some lights didn't work and a catch on the ramp was missing. It gave me peace of mind to know it had been checked out.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yes - I couldn't quite believe the sailing boat purchase!!!! But just goes to show, there are some wonderful things to be bought off there if you can find the right seller.

Good luck.

the watcher

Visit site
I bought mine on ebay early last year, it was fine but needed a service to get it completely right.

I wouldn't strike rear unloads completely..as a design they have been around a long time, and because most people prefer front unloads the prices will be a bit lower. If your two travel well then it should be fine, but go for the biggest you can tow and afford.

The old Rice trailers did tend to be VERY heavy, so watch your weights..but do give a very smooth ride

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
OH and I are hoping to get a new RAV4. At the minute we have a VW Golf GT TDi with some sort of large engine. He knows all the specs though in regards to weight and towing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Lord - you can tow a horse trailer with a Rav4? blimey - I didn't know that!

Blackhawk

They can tow 3,500 pounds
confused.gif

Bigfoot

New User
Visit site
My wife will be advertising her Bahill (aluminium) trailer later this week.
It will carry 2 17.2hh horses no problem and is front and rear unload.
Owned by her for about 10 years, has been serviced regularly, a new 2" floor and new brakes 2 years ago (receipts), and very smart in blue.
Not as cheap at £1500. However, it is a brand name which is well respected, and still has it's ID plate fixed to the drawbar.
A lot of trailers for sale seem to be of unknown make and history.
This may help in any comparisons of trailers for sale and what you get for your money.

clipertyplop

Visit site
to be honest i think you will be strugling to pull 2 16hh with a rav 4 plus i think 2 horses and a rice trailer might be too heavy for the car please check police are going to start geting hot on trailers and overweight horseboxs
frown.gif

Blackhawk

[ QUOTE ]
to be honest i think you will be strugling to pull 2 16hh with a rav 4 plus i think 2 horses and a rice trailer might be too heavy for the car please check police are going to start geting hot on trailers and overweight horseboxs
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries on that front. I'm not daft enough to not check weights before buying
wink.gif
Horses are far too important for that.

EllieBeast

Visit site
i dont think that would be safe to tow two big horses and a trailer. remembering that you have to include the car, passangers, equipment horses and trailer into that.

horses - 2 x 550kg = 1,100
trailer - around 700kg

just with those together you would be over the limit im afraid.
Sarah

Blackhawk

[ QUOTE ]
That'll be the big 5 door I'd presume. My sister wants one of those! Very nice, good towing capacity that, should cover a lot!

What sort of budget do you have? PM me if you'd rather!

[/ QUOTE ]

For a trailer? I wouldn't want to go over £1,500-£2,000 but if it meant saving up for one and waiting for the right one then I would. After all, there isn't many place to go in winter
wink.gif

Blackhawk

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think that would be safe to tow two big horses and a trailer. remembering that you have to include the car, passangers, equipment horses and trailer into that.

horses - 2 x 550kg = 1,100
trailer - around 700kg

just with those together you would be over the limit im afraid.
Sarah

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing I haven't bought a car yet then
wink.gif
One of mine is a fatty too.

Thanks for the website Jacqs
blush.gif

evsj

Visit site
You will not be able to tow 2 x 16hh safely with a RAV 4. You will need a proper 4x4 such as a Discovery or Fourtrak to tow two in a heavy older trailer. Bear in mind that with older trailers, things like floors, electrics and brakes will need replacing. I bought my first trailer, a ten year old Ifor, for what I thought was a bargain at 950 quid. I had to have a new floor at 400 and the electrics rewired (100) as well as the wheel baring replaced (another 160) within a few months of getting the thing.
Not that I am advocating getting into debt but borrowing to buy a decent trailer such as a 4 year old Ifor for instance would be worthwhile because if you look after them they hold their price and you should have no problem selling it on. I have bought some great stuff off ebay but I would be very careful when it comes to horse transport as your horses and your own safety is paramount - only bid if you can go and see it easily. Front unload will be alot easier - especially with two.

Gingernags

Visit site
We were looking at second hand trailers, but at the last minute Dad decided (bless him) to go thirds with us on a new trailer instead. Ours cost £3400 brand new, takes 2 x 17.2 and is lightweight and tows really well. The dealer is JSW in Northallerton... oh and they do finance...
grin.gif

We thought it was well worth it for a new one, and its very roomy, and the delinquent TB that hates trailers actually goes in it!

AND you can manage it on your own - gas assisted ramps etc, so I went to Durham on my own yesterday and didn't need any help.

Might be worth looking into!

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
smallest 4x4 i'd tow that lot with would be either a SWB Terrano, SWB Shogan or a Fourtrack......

[/ QUOTE ]

Gosh, wouldn't have classed a Fourtrack in with those - they can tow as much as a Landrover (3.5 tonnes) and are a blinkin' heavey vehicle.