Ebay Trailer - thoughts?

clipertyplop

Visit site
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to be honest i think you will be strugling to pull 2 16hh with a rav 4 plus i think 2 horses and a rice trailer might be too heavy for the car please check police are going to start geting hot on trailers and overweight horseboxs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No worries on that front. I'm not daft enough to not check weights before buying Horses are far too important for that.

i thinks your are daft because as a old hand at towing i know it wont work but good luck anyway

Louby

Visit site
Hi, please dont buy a Rav4 to tow with. Its not suitable to tow two horses and a trailer. We looked into it in depth a few years ago and ended up buying a fourtrak. A IW505 is about 1000kg and then youve two horses, 550 ish each, then passengers and equipment so you will be well over. I know you see some trailers towed by smaller 4 x 4's but it isnt really safe.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I think you may be struggling to tow two horses in the trailer you are looking at with a Rav 4. You say it can tow 3500 lbs. That translates into 1590 kgs. The trailer will probably weigh about 900kg, leaving you 690kg. You would struggly to put a couple of 14h2" in it without exceeding your towing weight, two horses would definately put you way over.
I don't want to rain on your parade but you may have to re think your plan.
Good Luck

S_N

Visit site
LMAO!! Sorry, taking a LOOOOONG time to wake up today!!
blush.gif

Claireg9

Visit site
Ah on the car front i'd defo go for something heavier duty we have a Mitsibushi sports shogun warrior and its a real beast, other cheaper cars that i know to be good towers are the vauxhall montrey or the equivelant Izusu!
Trailer wise i have brought a rear unload only (Because it had living) But rear unload all the same! All i have to do is clear the muck from under her feet as she hates standing it and she backs off like a dream, so i wouldnt discount them, they soon get used to it. Rice trailers were always good, but heavy so as long as you have the right car you'll be fine.
Ask the seller if the floor has been replaced recently, and it might be an idea to view first!

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
We have a rice dealer down the road from us so I may pop along there to get a general idea.

Our Shogun really stood the test of time too as we had it a hell of a long time. We used it for desert driving in some awful conditions and it was always fine.
smile.gif

Claireg9

Visit site
for a stranger your very bloody cheeky!
This is what we do, ask each other for advice, so as we dont have a blonde (Excuse all blondes its just a term) moment and by with our hearts not with our heads!
Please try to stop yourself being rude in the future!

clipertyplop

Visit site
for a stranger your very bloody cheeky!
This is what we do, ask each other for advice, so as we dont have a blonde (Excuse all blondes its just a term) moment and by with our hearts not with our heads!
Please try to stop yourself being rude in the future!

who are you admin!!!!!in the first instance i wasnt being rude....i was simply saying a rav 4 for wasnt a good idea....blackhawk was the one who suggested she was daft.... take a chill pill veteran
tongue.gif

frannieuk

Visit site
I bought my first trailer unseen though ebay and it was brilliant - absolutely as described, and when I sold it a few months later (needed a bigger one) I got more than I paid for it!

Theresa_F

Visit site
If you have good loaders, then don't rule out rear load trailers. They are often much cheaper and are also lighter.

I bought a Bateson Derby - I only tow Chancer and needed a very light trailer for my car and for me this is perfect. Chancer is excellent to load and unload so not having front load is not a problem for me.

If it helps, when I bought my little Derby, the chap said a lot of people with Rav 4s bought them as they are so light. If you wanted to tow one small horse or two 14.2 ponies then the Derby would be fine with a Rav 4 but you will never fit two 16 hands in one.

Hope you can find a bigger tow vehicle and a trailer that you are happy with.