Economical bedding

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sorry done to death I’m sure.

I never really take a lot of notice though as I get free straw and free muck heap removal as long as there is no wood based bedding on it. So past years I’ve taken the sensible option and used straw.
However this year it’s been not great quality and the better stuff is sold, the past few lots have been horrible.

I think TB is going to have to stay on it, it doesn’t seem to bother him, (it doesn’t seem to bother any of them just me) but he’s so dirty and wet I couldn’t really justify buying for him.
The ponies I’ve started putting into my turnout pen just off the yard instead so they are ok
So it’s just for one clean horse.
I was looking at Aubiose having been told although expensive initially it’s cheap in the long run but the closest stockist that I know of just closed down.
So what else is worth looking at, I want something that won’t get too dusty as that is the problem with a very clean horse! You don’t take loads out so don’t get a huge turnaround and bedding gets a bit dusty.
As above not wood based sadly or I’ll end up paying for both bedding and removal and have to keep separate muck heaps. Although I suppose if something is really good maybe it would be worth it.
* he’s that clean I could possibly hide it in my regular heap…. Is that terrible?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
If anyone has thoughts on these, they are stocked at Mole which is fairly close

Equinola
Pure green Flax
Bed max Straw pellets - used in the past and didn’t much like straw pellets but was a dirtier horse.
Chopped straw, seems very expensive for what it is but is Swish branded so I could get cheaper
Fenington fibres but I tried in the pat and find it dusty.

So I guess the Flax or Equinola what ever that is!

Equi

Visit site
Allbed fibre has been a game changer for me this year. Super easy to muck out, lasts a hell of a lot longer than shavings. Cheaper than shavings. Downside is it is in demand so may be harder to source.

Jambarissa

Visit site
Cheapest would be to buy some better quality straw in.

Straw pellets and chopped rape are good although I've found both can form a compacted layer if you don't fully turn every day or two.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Allbed fibre has been a game changer for me this year. Super easy to muck out, lasts a hell of a lot longer than shavings. Cheaper than shavings. Downside is it is in demand so may be harder to source.
Google only brings up human bedding if I try that, I’ve never heard of it so am going to assume it’s not stocked in one of the local places but will certainly look out. Thanks
One of the chopped rape or miscanthus - loads of brand options out there
I believe Equinola is rape. Wasn’t overly keen on miscanthus but I think it seems to come in quite different looking forms the stuff I tried was like crumbled roots. Dark brown and not very nice.
Cheapest would be to buy some better quality straw in.

Straw pellets and chopped rape are good although I've found both can form a compacted layer if you don't fully turn every day or two.

I’m not really sure there’s a lot of good straw round here. OH buys and sells and if he can’t get me anything decent I’m assuming it’s not there at the minute.
Maybe small bales but again no idea where from

Abacus

Visit site
it has been ages since I bought bedding so there may be new options but I used to love wood pellets, they seemed to make dirty horses cleaner, and clean horses an absolute doddle. I wouldn't hide them in the muck heap but there may be other options, you could 'lose' some of it in muddy patches, or let it rot down and then spread it over poor bits of the field with some grass seed mixed in.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
For information, I hope it is correct. Taken from a gardening website.

When using horse manure, ensure it's well rotted or composted, and at least six months old. If the horse bedding is wood-based, manure should be at least a year old to ensure the wood in it has broken down completely, otherwise it takes nitrogen (a major nutrient required by plants) from the soil. Bagged manure from manufacturers is guaranteed to be well rotted.

daydreamer

Visit site
I've been using chopped rape straw since about September (a local brand when I could buy in bulk and now Equinola). I have been deep littering it and dug out around Christmas and then at the end of February when I moved yards and took the ok bedding with me. At the original yard I had a really big corner stable and the bed stayed really clean and it only took me about 10 minutes to skip out every day. At the new yard the stable is 12 x 12 and he is in longer so it has taken the bed longer to settle but we're getting there. I haven't found it dusty at all yet but i guess if I did I would probably just give it a little water! It is very absorbent. At the new yard unlimited free straw is included but I just can't face the smell and moving the whole bed about every day :-/

MisterD

Visit site
Sorry done to death I’m sure.

I never really take a lot of notice though as I get free straw and free muck heap removal as long as there is no wood based bedding on it. So past years I’ve taken the sensible option and used straw.
However this year it’s been not great quality and the better stuff is sold, the past few lots have been horrible.

I think TB is going to have to stay on it, it doesn’t seem to bother him, (it doesn’t seem to bother any of them just me) but he’s so dirty and wet I couldn’t really justify buying for him.
The ponies I’ve started putting into my turnout pen just off the yard instead so they are ok
So it’s just for one clean horse.
I was looking at Aubiose having been told although expensive initially it’s cheap in the long run but the closest stockist that I know of just closed down.
So what else is worth looking at, I want something that won’t get too dusty as that is the problem with a very clean horse! You don’t take loads out so don’t get a huge turnaround and bedding gets a bit dusty.
As above not wood based sadly or I’ll end up paying for both bedding and removal and have to keep separate muck heaps. Although I suppose if something is really good maybe it would be worth it.
* he’s that clean I could possibly hide it in my regular heap…. Is that terrible?
An everyday dilemma! I settled on using straw pellets (if wood pellets aren't suitable) underneath normal bedding. I found it really helped soak up the wet patches, and definitely less waste from bedding on top, whether that was Aubiose, or other non-staw bedding. A system that I found was quick and easy, especially when I got to know which patches were the wettest in the bed! I used that system for years and definitely found I used less bedding as it stayed dry on top! - and as a bonus the rugs stayed cleaner!

poiuytrewq

Visit site

When using horse manure, ensure it's well rotted or composted, and at least six months old. If the horse bedding is wood-based, manure should be at least a year old to ensure the wood in it has broken down completely, otherwise it takes nitrogen (a major nutrient required by plants) from the soil. Bagged manure from manufacturers is guaranteed to be well rotted.
Yes, that's why I'm not allowed to use shavings etc - well i can use what i want but don't want to pay extra for removal.
Wood Pellets might be an option because if i kept the muck heaps seperate the amount I'd have on the one horse pellet heap would be minimal and could possibly stay there a year anyway, maybe I'd even get away with sticking it on our garden each year.

Abacus

Visit site
Yes, that's why I'm not allowed to use shavings etc - well i can use what i want but don't want to pay extra for removal.
Wood Pellets might be an option because if i kept the muck heaps seperate the amount I'd have on the one horse pellet heap would be minimal and could possibly stay there a year anyway, maybe I'd even get away with sticking it on our garden each year.

Added to the above: if you muck out carefully you could separate the manure to put with your straw heap, and just take out wet pellets to store elsewhere. Although the addition of manure would make nice compost, if you are able to store and move it easily.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'd say 90% of the time there is no wet to dig out anyway as my mats are straight onto stone so firstly he wee's before coming in, out riding and again going out He rarely wee's in the stable but if he does its all quite free draining.

Fransurrey

Visit site

I use wood based chicken bedding (Snowflake Softchip) and I always go by the premise that any nitrogen loss is more than compensated by the nitrates in the chicken poop! I used to consider the same of cat litter, but she's on straw pellets, now, so not an issue anyway!

I love miscanthus/aubiose for horse bedding. I find it much easier to muck out as there's very little bedding loss. I've never tried straw pellets or chopped straw, but have used the latter for chickens before - it feels lovely! For absorbency I'd go with pellets at the base, chopped straw on top (depends on how much your horse walks around, I suppose!).

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Added to the above: if you muck out carefully you could separate the manure to put with your straw heap, and just take out wet pellets to store elsewhere. Although the addition of manure would make nice compost, if you are able to store and move it easily.
That's true, It would be barely anything that way.

Are wood pellets expensive at the moment i wonder, been years since i used them.

Northern Hare

Visit site
If you stable on a farm, do they own one of the round bale choppers, used for cattle feeding? If so, and you've got covered storage, you could buy a round bale of clean rape straw and have it chopped. It will give you a massive pile of bedding which will last ages! 😊

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
If you are thinking of wood pellets, I would just go straw pellets. They absorb the same, cost the same, the beds are the same size and if anything the straw pellets make a less dark looking bed.. plus it removes the complication from the muck heap issue

Ceriann

Visit site
I use straw pellets under probed - I buy it in pallets as it’s the cheapest option. I deep bed one as she’s wet and use the pellets in wetter areas for the others. Cheapest option and I don’t like just pellets as I find them dusty.

lizziebell

Visit site
If anyone has thoughts on these, they are stocked at Mole which is fairly close

Equinola
Pure green Flax
Bed max Straw pellets - used in the past and didn’t much like straw pellets but was a dirtier horse.
Chopped straw, seems very expensive for what it is but is Swish branded so I could get cheaper
Fenington fibres but I tried in the pat and find it dusty.

So I guess the Flax or Equinola what ever that is!
If that’s MVF by the vets/ market, then it’s also the one I use.
Mine are only in for a few hours a day so I buy cheap bedding, but I can’t have anything wood-based.

I tend to buy the Fennington Fibres as they have been the cheapest of the above at MVF (I think) and most likely in stock. I find it a bit rougher in texture and not as absorbent. Equinola is back up if they don’t have FF, which I do prefer as it’s softer and more absorbent - but I find it more dusty, and (I think) more expensive than FF.

Pure Green Flax I haven’t tried as I thought it was a lot more expensive, but Equisupplies are not that far away so if buying in bulk it might be cheaper going direct.

Bed max straw pellets I’ve been on, but got fed up with stock shortage at MVF (not sure if that’s changed), and I found it was either always damp or dry and dusty.

Swish cozy is the chopped straw at MVF. I really didn’t like it. It was toooo light so got everywhere and didn’t give a stable bed. It’s also the only bedding I’ve tried that the all my horses ate!

Not actually sure I’ve helped in your decisions 😂

SpottyTB

Visit site
I've gone from Straw to straw pellets and I'm so pleased!! One of my horses is quite a big chap and he's also stinking - unless you put a fresh bale of straw in a day he'd trash his bed - often having to take the entire lot out daily (he's very wet, poo's several times then walks back and forth to his hay mixing it all up) ! I went to straw pellets, used 12 bags to get us started and didn't water them - so they absorbed his wee. Well I did that end of January and I've put 2 bags in since (he's been in every day 7am-4pm), its really working for him. I'm now at the point where I'm taking a chunk of the under wet bit out daily and then will pop 3 bags down to replace once most is out!

Hollychops

Visit site
I swopped to Carviera bedding and use their Raviera bedding. Chopped rape straw with a biterant added to stop eating so smells like lavender. Was slightly scepticle but i love it.

leflynn

Visit site
Big fan of unibed green, went from straw to this, have tried other similar brands of chopped straw but this seems to be the best - wet horse, tramples round, now takes 15mins ot muck out and less bedding used
Have also tried pellets wood/straw under straw and they were awful and expensive

poiuytrewq

Visit site
If that’s MVF by the vets/ market, then it’s also the one I use.
Mine are only in for a few hours a day so I buy cheap bedding, but I can’t have anything wood-based.

I tend to buy the Fennington Fibres as they have been the cheapest of the above at MVF (I think) and most likely in stock. I find it a bit rougher in texture and not as absorbent. Equinola is back up if they don’t have FF, which I do prefer as it’s softer and more absorbent - but I find it more dusty, and (I think) more expensive than FF.

Pure Green Flax I haven’t tried as I thought it was a lot more expensive, but Equisupplies are not that far away so if buying in bulk it might be cheaper going direct.

Bed max straw pellets I’ve been on, but got fed up with stock shortage at MVF (not sure if that’s changed), and I found it was either always damp or dry and dusty.

Swish cozy is the chopped straw at MVF. I really didn’t like it. It was toooo light so got everywhere and didn’t give a stable bed. It’s also the only bedding I’ve tried that the all my horses ate!

Not actually sure I’ve helped in your decisions 😂
Oh thank you! That is actually helpful.
Yes it’s the same one.
Do you ever use Henry Coles? I may see what they sell.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
If you stable on a farm, do they own one of the round bale choppers, used for cattle feeding? If so, and you've got covered storage, you could buy a round bale of clean rape straw and have it chopped. It will give you a massive pile of bedding which will last ages! 😊
No sadly not. No animals here, all arable. I did once try rape straw from the field which was surprisingly ok!
The strings bust so I just wheelbarrowed it up as and when 😂
If you are thinking of wood pellets, I would just go straw pellets. They absorb the same, cost the same, the beds are the same size and if anything the straw pellets make a less dark looking bed.. plus it removes the complication from the muck heap issue
Do you think? I’d say the opposite but it’s been a long time since I used wood pellets. I thought straw pellets to be much darker. I did quite like it to muck out though and you’re right about the muck heap thing.
I swopped to Carviera bedding and use their Raviera bedding. Chopped rape straw with a biterant added to stop eating so smells like lavender. Was slightly scepticle but i love it.
Looks good and is the lazy option! Thanks!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
No sadly not. No animals here, all arable. I did once try rape straw from the field which was surprisingly ok!
The strings bust so I just wheelbarrowed it up as and when 😂

Do you think? I’d say the opposite but it’s been a long time since I used wood pellets. I thought straw pellets to be much darker. I did quite like it to muck out though and you’re right about the muck heap thing.

Looks good and is the lazy option! Thanks!

Some are definitely darker than others depending on the brand, but the ones we use at the yard are nice and light - I'll have to ask what brand they are tomorrow.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Only bedding I’ve got from there is Nedz Bed Pro and Nedz Bed Straw Pellets. I don’t tend to use them as much due to store opening hours.

(I like Nedz Bed Pro, but is lot more expensive)

Do they have weird hours?
I don’t even know where It is, maybe I should give that one a miss. It’s taken me years to get to Mole and back with no sat nav 😂

lizziebell

Visit site
Do they have weird hours?
I don’t even know where It is, maybe I should give that one a miss. It’s taken me years to get to Mole and back with no sat nav 😂
Not open weekends. I think at the moment it’s 9am-4pm Monday to Friday, but I find sometimes you can turn up and they are closed for various reasons and opening/ closing times seem to change around a bit.

Nicnac

Visit site
I swapped from shavings to Concord straw pellets a few years ago. Much cheaper and rot down so much better. Also far quicker to muck and no smell. I do have rubber mats down as well.