Economical feeds

Arzada

Visit site
I recently changed to Mole Valley, the savings are considerable.£5.00 on a bag of hi fibre nuts,
Really? I bought Mole Valley Hi Fibre Nuts/Cubes last Mon 7 March and they were £8.91. I'm looking to cut costs so wondering what you bought for £5 if you have a link? Even their basic Horse and Pony Cubes are £8.15

windand rain

Visit site
Really? I bought Mole Valley Hi Fibre Nuts/Cubes last Mon 7 March and they were £8.91. I'm looking to cut costs so wondering what you bought for £5 if you have a link? Even their basic Horse and Pony Cubes are £8.15
think they meant £5 cheaper than the usual brand so saved the fiver

paddy555

Visit site
I would chuck them in the water with the copra, as that needed 2 minutes to fluff up in water. They wouldn't be soaked for any length of time but they would start to go crumbly and be wet

don't want to appear rude and I wouldn't post unless I thought it important. I find Dengie grass and their alfalfa pellets need a considerable time to soak. At least a couple of hours. Choke is just not worth risking. I soak mine morning for evening feed and overnight for morning feed. Safety is paramount.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
don't want to appear rude and I wouldn't post unless I thought it important. I find Dengie grass and their alfalfa pellets need a considerable time to soak. At least a couple of hours. Choke is just not worth risking. I soak mine morning for evening feed and overnight for morning feed. Safety is paramount.

Not rude at all - different opinions always welcomed! Horse is sadly no longer with us (not choke or colic related!), but I personally had no issues in the 2 years he was having this feed and didn't find that they ever expanded much more than they did in the initial 10 mins.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Not rude at all - different opinions always welcomed! Horse is sadly no longer with us (not choke or colic related!), but I personally had no issues in the 2 years he was having this feed and didn't find that they ever expanded much more than they did in the initial 10 mins.

If you leave them overnight they completely break down and form something a similar sort of texture to sugar beet.

windand rain

Visit site
When I have had to use other than emerald green they are soaked for hours emerald green soak in the time it takes to poo pick a 5 acre field and 5 ponies

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I’ve always fed economically. I buy two bags each of sugar beet, alfalfa nuts and grass nuts and mix a bag of each into a big bin and feed as a fibre slop along with readigrass, of which two bags normally gets me through the winter, and a balancer. He gets 100g of linseed meal in each feed as well. He gets two feeds like this a day in winter.

In summer its one feed daily with his balancer, a cup of mixed grass nuts and alfalfa nuts and a handful of hifi lite. A bag each of grassnuts, alfalfa nuts and the hifi lite lasts me the whole summer.

I bought my hay in bulk from my YO this year along with my straw with what I saved not buying any hay or bedding over summer and it means I’ve just got my basic livery to pay monthly and I text him to drop me bales when I need them. I’ve only gone through 5 rounds this winter of wrapped hay.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I’ve always fed economically. I buy two bags each of sugar beet, alfalfa nuts and grass nuts and mix a bag of each into a big bin and feed as a fibre slop along with readigrass, of which two bags normally gets me through the winter, and a balancer. He gets 100g of linseed meal in each feed as well. He gets two feeds like this a day in winter.

That sounds like an easier way to do what I'm doing! I will have a look at alfalfa nuts as I hadnt thought of using those and premixing everything.

Last edited:

southerncomfort

Visit site

In summer its one feed daily with his balancer, a cup of mixed grass nuts and alfalfa nuts and a handful of hifi lite. A bag each of grassnuts, alfalfa nuts and the hifi lite lasts me the whole summer.

I bought my hay in bulk from my YO this year along with my straw with what I saved not buying any hay or bedding over summer and it means I’ve just got my basic livery to pay monthly and I text him to drop me bales when I need them. I’ve only gone through 5 rounds this winter of wrapped hay.

Just want to say what a good idea that is to mix the dry nuts together in a big bin!

That would have saved me so much time when I had the toothless old lady. Making up her buckets of soup was very time consuming!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Just want to say what a good idea that is to mix the dry nuts together in a big bin!

That would have saved me so much time when I had the toothless old lady. Making up her buckets of soup was very time consuming!

That sounds like an easier way to do what I'm doing! I will have a look at alfalfa nuts as I hadnt thought of using those and premixing everything.

Thanks I’ve done this for years to save space, money and time ? was great for Kia in his old age as a scoop of the premixed pellets made up a decent sized trug when soaked then mixed with a couple of scoops of readigrass or a halley’s blox soaked to give him soft fibre as he got older ?

Limit

Visit site

I believe I said the savings were considerable, ie, A SAVING of over £5.00 on a bag of Mole Avon compared to my previous brand.