Ed the ex-racer

timbobs

Visit site
After losing my lovely gelding at the end of Feb, I now have Ed the Ex-racer!

He finished racing in August and has been on holiday since then.

I got him at the end of March, so we've been taking things slowly and building up. We're booked into retraining of racehorses camp in July so need to get cracking!

We are lucky to have fantastic hacking straight outside the yard gate so have been mainly hacking to build him up as he's very weak still.

My gorgeous boy the day he was PTS :(

Ed the day he arrived!

First ride

Looking very elegant 😂

First baby attempt at schooling

Does anyone else have an ex-racer and tips for building up/getting started? Ed is only six so I hope to have lots of time with him!

timbobs

Visit site
Sorry, can't help but just to say I think you look great together.
Thank you! That's so nice to hear. He's a lot taller than my previous boy at 16.2 and I usually prefer smaller horses but I'm loving him so far!

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
What a beautiful boy!!! I had an ex racer 20 years ago and we did lots of slow hacking to build him up first, with plenty of hills. I think you'll be fine for camp. It sounds like great fun!!!

timbobs

Visit site
What a beautiful boy!!! I had an ex racer 20 years ago and we did lots of slow hacking to build him up first, with plenty of hills. I think you'll be fine for camp. It sounds like great fun!!!

I think he's beautiful too but I am slightly bias! 😍

We've got lots of hills where we are so have been enjoying those. He's definitely getting stronger as when he arrived he found it really hard to walk downhill but he's much better now!

We haven't had a proper canter yet as he's not quite ready but I can't wait for a blast uphill!

Love the view from these ears

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
I think he's beautiful too but I am slightly bias! 😍

We've got lots of hills where we are so have been enjoying those. He's definitely getting stronger as when he arrived he found it really hard to walk downhill but he's much better now!

We haven't had a proper canter yet as he's not quite ready but I can't wait for a blast uphill!

Love the view from these ears

I remember not cantering for a long time. I was 16 and just wanted to gallop my racehorse lol. The time spent on the flow work was worth it though. That and basic schooling to begin with, transitions and correct bend. When we started jumping we did lots of grids to slow him down and attempt to stop him hurdling everything lol. He ended up show jumping quite well and was a xc machine. He loved it!! Our dressage wasn't our strongest but that was my fault really. He had the kindest soul and biggest heart and you wouldn't know he was an x racer, apart from once at an event at raf cranwell around the airfield, where he just shot off full pelt!! The massive open space, straight lines and tannoy made him think he was racing I think. Apart from that time he was foot perfect. You've got me reminiscing now!!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Very sorry to hear about your ol' boy. He looked lovely, but Ed looks equally lovely & you make a great team!

Hope you lots and lots of fun together :)

timbobs

Visit site
I remember not cantering for a long time. I was 16 and just wanted to gallop my racehorse lol. The time spent on the flow work was worth it though. That and basic schooling to begin with, transitions and correct bend. When we started jumping we did lots of grids to slow him down and attempt to stop him hurdling everything lol. He ended up show jumping quite well and was a xc machine. He loved it!! Our dressage wasn't our strongest but that was my fault really. He had the kindest soul and biggest heart and you wouldn't know he was an x racer, apart from once at an event at raf cranwell around the airfield, where he just shot off full pelt!! The massive open space, straight lines and tannoy made him think he was racing I think. Apart from that time he was foot perfect. You've got me reminiscing now!!

Haha ex racers are definitely the best' sounds like yours was awesome! My previous gelding Fi was also an ex racer but he had been re-trained before I got him, so this is all new to me!

Such lovely comments from everyone :) I got him for £1 too, so he's definitely a bargain buy!

wills_91

Visit site
Oh he is just lovely. Has a very kind face. Your old boy is gorgeous to. Hope you have many happy years together x

timbobs

Visit site
He looks super sweet I love his blaze. Sorry to hear about your old boy.
I love an ex racer and have written all about G's journey on a thread here:
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?725990-Mr-G-s-ROR-journey Best of luck, they're the most fun!!
Have just read the first few pages. Mr G is Gorgeous and sounds like such a superstar!

Hopefully Ed and I can post such successful updates in the future 😀 Will have to have a cuppa and a proper read about you and Mr G.

LPL

Visit site
Thanks!! I'm sure you will Ed looks a lovely sort. Make sure you make he most of the RoR stuff in your area as well it's been so beneficial to our journey! Looking forward to your next update ��

pippixox

Visit site
gorgeous. My first horse is an ex-racer, he is 19 now and retired, but I got him aged 8 after a successful career- ending due to a tendon injury. He had a year out and a few months doing basics with a trainer.
I would say lots and lots of hacking. They are used to straight lines but also with their working mentality they usually happily keep going and going in the school, even when tired and their body isn't actually ready for all the tight circles.
my boy had a bad back and no topline. we used a pessoa lunging aid to encourage him to stretch down long and low, which seemed to help.
mine has always been pretty good with breaks, bar a few minor bombing off issues in the first year! but I would encourage practicing lots of walks on grass so they don't assume it's race time.
in the school personally I would mostly stick to walk when doing circles & transitions. ground poles can be good for getting them to concentrate on feet and not rush.

timbobs

Visit site
Had a beautiful hack on Mr Ed this morning 😀

It's one of those perfect days that makes you remember why you put up with all the winter weather!

Little video to show off our hacking! The voice at the end is the Map my Run woman. I have it on track how far/fast we've been. It's a really easy way to log what we're doing so I can make sure I'm not building up too quickly.

We were on our own today and he was super chilled.

timbobs

Visit site
Ed and I had our second lesson today. No action shots as didn't have a photographer.

Worked on getting him to stretch forward and down and stopping him from hanging on the right rein. Also practiced our downwards transitions from the seat, so I wasn't giving him anything to pull against on the reins. He worked really hard so super proud of him!

I wrote into Your Horse a few weeks ago as they were asking for "First Timer Tales" and they featured Ed and I which is really exciting!

timbobs

Visit site
I don't know if anyone is interested in the adventures of Ed and I but I'm super proud of him so thought I would share!

We've been doing lots of beautiful hacking and he's been a star. Have started some canter out hacking and he's been polite behind, in front and alongside. Can't ask for more than that!

I also took him on his first outing for a low-key arena hire. He travelled beautifully and was a perfect gentleman the whole time! Had his second canter in a school. He's literally legs everywhere but that's to be expected 😂 Will share the video of Photobucket plays ball.

We've got a yard dressage clinic on saturday so will see how we get on!

Last edited:

timbobs

Visit site
Lovely! You'll have a fab time at RoR camp too! I went last year and it was great! Not going this year sadly. Hope you have lots of fun with him!

I took my old boy and had a great time. Can't wait to go again!

I have a few friends going too so will be a fun few days of riding and evening drinks. 😀🥂

JustMe22

Visit site
Sounds great! My ex racer is only just managing to trot for 2 minutes in company without exploding so very jealous of you being able to canter on hacks :D

Akkalia1

Visit site
He is just gorgeous and you're doing so well with him. He sounds like he has a fantastic temperament, I think you two will go far.

I have an ex-racer too and we've been taking things very slowly but we're starting to get out and about now and about to put a more concerted effort into schooling. Been concentrating on hacking mostly up til now. I love ex-racehorses, my girl has been challenging but really starting to see the benefits of going slowly with her :)