Eden Valley – first visit

LFD

Visit site
Hi all – I’m in my first season at BE (just 80T just now) and am planning my longest trip this weekend to Even Valley (I'm based in Edinburgh). I’m trying to sort out my trusty timing plan and wondered if anyone had been to EV before and had any tips? How far is XC from lorry park etc. Anything really to help the day go a bit smoother :) I’m driving up and down on the same day and am in the first section of the day.

Many thanks in advance!

Super_starz

Visit site
Everything is really close together, some dressage is in a separate field, so check which arena you are in when you collect your numbers. Showjumping is on a lovely surfaced & xc is usually nice and straight foward. Oh and its easy to find off the motorway :)
I have unfortunately had to withdraw, bit gutted!!

DarkHorseB

Visit site
As Super_starz says it is a really compact event. Everything very handy. It is about 15 minutes off Junction 42 of the M6. You park right by the XC. The dressage arenas are behind you near the road though as SS says some arenas in a separate (adjoining) field so check which one you are in to save a last minute panic. Your BE80T is Charlotte Ridley (Mistatiger on here) for the dressage and XC and she is absolutely lovely and will give you as much or as little help as you need :)
XC loops back and forth over a compact area and up and down the hill. The water is quite shallow and usually near the end of the course.
Have fun!
Sorry to hear you won't be there Super_Starz what's the problem?

LFD

Visit site
Thanks Super_starz & DarkHorseB, really glad to hear it's a compact set up - less running around for me and maybe another 20min in bed ;-)

I'll keep an eye out for Charlotte for some help - such a good chance to pick up some great tips. I find the XC walk really helpful but it's too long a drive for me to go down for it the day before.

Off to do some hill work tonight after hearing the XC is up and downhill!

Thanks again. L

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Oh the other thing make sure you have your passport to hand and your vaccinations are spot on. Unlike many others the Cumbrian events do tend to ask to see them and check! A friend came down from near Edinburgh for Warwick Hall and could not run as her horse had been vaccinated in the last 7 days!

LFD

Visit site
Oh the other thing make sure you have your passport to hand and your vaccinations are spot on. Unlike many others the Cumbrian events do tend to ask to see them and check! A friend came down from near Edinburgh for Warwick Hall and could not run as her horse had been vaccinated in the last 7 days!

Thanks - will do. It's on my very long list of things to take :)

Valonty

Visit site
All I've got to add is that the trainers are soooo helpful even when you think you are ok, its always really good to get some help from a trainer. They can give you quick tips on just getting those few extra marks!! :D

Good luck and have fun!! (I'm also there in the 90 on Sunday).

Super_starz

Visit site
Nothing serious, she had a knock to the chest the morning of Hutton, its still swollen so didnt want to risk running her round xc!

Jnhuk

Visit site
Hi all – I’m in my first season at BE (just 80T just now) and am planning my longest trip this weekend to Even Valley (I'm based in Edinburgh). I’m trying to sort out my trusty timing plan and wondered if anyone had been to EV before and had any tips? How far is XC from lorry park etc. Anything really to help the day go a bit smoother :) I’m driving up and down on the same day and am in the first section of the day.

Many thanks in advance!

Will take you about 2 1/2 hours or so depending on exactly in Lothians you are. We are based about 15 mins south of the Edinburgh bypass and takes us around 2 hours. I am also doing BE80 on the Sunday (stolen my hubby's horse as mine out of action!) but forgot to request late times so I am third in my section so means something like a 4am start as working on dressage at 8.15am!

My rough timings are:
Leave home 4.30am
Arrive EV 6.30am
Send hubby to pay start fee/get number/passport checks/ etc whilst I whizz round the XC and SJ
Aim to finish walk Sj & XC by 7.20am
Get ready for dressage 7.30am to allow me 30 min warm up

The event and all the helpers are fab and welcoming. Everything is central. XC is a little up and down but nothing like Kirriemuir for example. SJ is on a surface. Take fly spray for dressage as seem to remember one of the fields near trees was bad for flies one time.

Look out for me on a large grey ID. XC colours are navy with grey stars.
Give me a shout if you need anything else

PS take money as lovely stands as well!

Jnhuk

Visit site

Ditto this!

DHB - are you playing and/or helping? Maybe see you about if you are.

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Ditto this!

DHB - are you playing and/or helping? Maybe see you about if you are.

Neither this year! Girls have a show and I am away doing Dressage Sunday - decided to concentrate on this for a while as my BE membership expired. Hope your boy is ok? Good luck and enjoy!

Javabb94

Visit site
LFD- I have Pm'd you :)

I'm also riding in Sunday in 80(t) so look out for a bright bay horse with like green and black chequers XC colours! I'm I very early though.

Super_starz

Visit site
I could have substituted entry for T, but would have wanted to do a bigger class, & there was waitlists!

Does anyone know what henderside 80t or 90 is like? trying to decide whether to go there or northallerton unaffiliated on the same day?

DarkHorseB

Visit site
I could have substituted entry for T, but would have wanted to do a bigger class, & there was waitlists!

Does anyone know what henderside 80t or 90 is like? trying to decide whether to go there or northallerton unaffiliated on the same day?

Hendersyde 90 is a top end course used for the Scottish Championships and generally quoted as one to do to test if you are ready to step up. They have never had an 80 before so cannot say on that but would think it would be nice. It is a lovely setting and one of my favourites

LFD

Visit site
Will take you about 2 1/2 hours or so depending on exactly in Lothians you are. We are based about 15 mins south of the Edinburgh bypass and takes us around 2 hours. I am also doing BE80 on the Sunday (stolen my hubby's horse as mine out of action!) but forgot to request late times so I am third in my section so means something like a 4am start as working on dressage at 8.15am!

My rough timings are:
Leave home 4.30am
Arrive EV 6.30am
Send hubby to pay start fee/get number/passport checks/ etc whilst I whizz round the XC and SJ
Aim to finish walk Sj & XC by 7.20am
Get ready for dressage 7.30am to allow me 30 min warm up

The event and all the helpers are fab and welcoming. Everything is central. XC is a little up and down but nothing like Kirriemuir for example. SJ is on a surface. Take fly spray for dressage as seem to remember one of the fields near trees was bad for flies one time.

Look out for me on a large grey ID. XC colours are navy with grey stars.
Give me a shout if you need anything else

PS take money as lovely stands as well!

Thanks Jnhuk - have added fly spray to the list of things to do before dressage!

I'm lucky and have a later time of 11.36 but need double the prep time you do as am still learning to ropes so will probably be heading off about the same time. I'm just off the bypass so am heading over on the M8 and then down as my lovely old lorry doesn't fair too well on the smaller roads!

I'll keep an eye out for you - I'm on a little bay TB with a big blaze and royal blue XC colours, no. 585 :)

LFD

Visit site
Oh - one last questions for everyone! As the SJ is on a surface, what should I be doing about studs? This is only my second BE and my first was all on grass so had studs in for each element.

I was going to remove them for the SJ but wondered if the warm up was on grass and what everyone normally does if the SJ is on a surface?

Many thanks in advance:) L

Super_starz

Visit site
Thanks dhb, iv just realised i actually meant hopetoun not henderside, if u know what its like?!

warm up for sj is on a surface, so no studs required & i don't think they would be happy with jumping on their surface with studs. I know at Richmond, there's no stud signs up around the sj that's on a surface as it can rip the membrane!

Javabb94

Visit site
LFD - I will be studding up for dressage quickly whipping out for SJ and fired back in for XC! If I'm quick should be manageable but going to have to plug invetween as will get full of surface from the arena.

Do you have your times I don't have mine?

LFD

Visit site
Thanks dhb, iv just realised i actually meant hopetoun not henderside, if u know what its like?!

warm up for sj is on a surface, so no studs required & i don't think they would be happy with jumping on their surface with studs. I know at Richmond, there's no stud signs up around the sj that's on a surface as it can rip the membrane!

Thanks - good to know the warm up is on SJ surface too - speedy studding required!

LFD

Visit site

Jnhuk

Visit site
Thanks Jnhuk - have added fly spray to the list of things to do before dressage!

I'm lucky and have a later time of 11.36 but need double the prep time you do as am still learning to ropes so will probably be heading off about the same time. I'm just off the bypass so am heading over on the M8 and then down as my lovely old lorry doesn't fair too well on the smaller roads!

I'll keep an eye out for you - I'm on a little bay TB with a big blaze and royal blue XC colours, no. 585 :)

I'll be done by 9.45am just looking at the times! The A702 is not a bad road for lorries but understand what you are saying. Will look out for you. Our lorry is a 7.5 non hgv blue and silver with a side ramp so quite distinctive.

I won't be studding up as cannot as nay stud holes as wasn't expecting to be doing BE with Rocky so not really sure how it will go!

DarkHorseB

Visit site

Hopetoun is nice - not too taxing. I think some steps you jumped down caused biggest problem last year. They run nice small sections too which means far less hanging about - by the time I had washed off after XC and packed stuff away the results were up :D

Jnhuk

Visit site
Hopetoun is nice - not too taxing. I think some steps you jumped down caused biggest problem last year. They run nice small sections too which means far less hanging about - by the time I had washed off after XC and packed stuff away the results were up :D

We were FJ at that fence and we were busy last year. I think a lot of people approached it too fast on the run up and there was a lot of other bits for the horse to look at so I really think that some of the horses only seemed to realise what was required until almost at the fence. There was an alternative for the BE80 but not many people took the alternative for some reason as didn't waste that much more time. There were some scary folks in the BE90 and 100. The Novice was quite an ask to my mind!