EDT - Power Tools or Manual Float?

wiglet

Visit site
My EDT is fully qualified to use power tools and will do so if necessary, but only under sedation by the vet. Normally he just does a manual float on my horse though, her mouth is in good order and she is seen every 6 months. I'm happy with this arrangement and so is my horse.

Other EDTs to visit the yard use power tools only and not with sedation. All the horses I've seen accept this and there have been no problems. So, what does your dentist do and what is your preference and why?

Deltic Blue

Visit site
My dentist only uses manual and I'd only ever let anyone in my mares mouth with manual tools
She's easily stressed out and she wouldn't tolerate a loud noise near her face, let alone mouth.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
current uses both, previous more manual. Pony can be tricky to do but no more tricky with power tools and I don't think they are any noisier really.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
IME horses accept power tools very readily without sedation, but then I am blessed with a brilliant EDT who is a natural horseman.

There is nothing wrong with using power tools as long as the operator is skilled, and they actually cause less stress to the teeth than a manual rasp used heavily.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Power tools are less noisy and much easier to be accurate in my opinion. Of course the technician/vet needs the correct training but I would chose power every time.

It depends on the horse re sedation. If it's ok normally, it will probably be ok with power tools. We did my daughter's pony without sedation a few weeks ago and the vet said she was the best she's ever done with or without sedation!

If there is the slightest doubt about behaviour I would far rather get them sedated. It's unfair to the vet and dangerous to both the handler and the vet to mess around with a horse that won't stand well Imo, and how can you expect them to do a good job in any case.

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
All of mine have been done with tools and no sedation even my head shy 17hh monster.

Follysmum

Visit site
Personally would always use manual over power tools. My EDT only does manual, they can hear the changes as they work.

Starbuck

Visit site
I think both manual and power tools have their place. Power tools without sedation could cause significant harm should the horse decide to suddenly spook etc- probably one reason why an EDT likes to use sedation (I believe in the US this is standard practice).

Makemineacob

Visit site
Our vet uses power tools and I've always had horses done with manual before. I was actually really surprised how quiet the power tool is and all of the horses have been absolutely fine with it (even one who is very nervy)

AppyLover

Visit site
We use our vet for teeth. The 2.5 YO (At the time) was sedated and manual and the 12 YO the other month was not sedated and power tools were used as here teeth were pretty bad and it was the quickest/easiest way for her :)

EventingMum

Visit site
In a ideal world the best finish is probably achieved by using a combination of both manual and power tools however each mouth will have it's own requirements. Problems can arise from both if in the hands of someone who isn't competent so it's essential that the EDT or vet is well trained. Many vets have limited training or experience in equine dentistry so it's incorrect to assume vets will necessarily be better than a qualified EDT.

There are many misconceptions about power tools, they actually are far less likely to cause soft tissue damage in the mouth - run a manual rasp over your hand and it's likely to cause an abrasion but do the same with the head of a power tool and your skin will be fine. There is also less drag across the tooth with power tools so many horses actually find their use less stressful and also means they are also better for older horses who's teeth maybe expiring and loose.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
There are many misconceptions about power tools, they actually are far less likely to cause soft tissue damage in the mouth - run a manual rasp over your hand and it's likely to cause an abrasion but do the same with the head of a power tool and your skin will be fine. There is also less drag across the tooth with power tools so many horses actually find their use less stressful and also means they are also better for older horses who's teeth maybe expiring and loose.

Our EDT would love to use power tools on old cob as this would be much better for his very old and loose teeth. However he simply will not tolerate this so a gentle manual rasp every three months keeps him in as good shape as possible. Sedation is an option if needed but as he is also very bad with needles this is best avoided! Young cob was sedated the first couple of times he met the EDT but now happily accepts the power tools without sedation - and weirdly seems to enjoy the sensation!